Does rejection mean revise query?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
I sent out a first batch of queries (about ten). So far I've received one automatic reply that the agent is no longer at the agency, one form reject, one request for a full and book proposal, and this seemingly personalized rejection.

Based on this rejection, would you revise your query to differentiate it? The premise of my book is about quitting a corporate job to travel and whitewater kayak.

Or chalk it up to one agents opinion?

Thanks for any thoughts you might have.

Dear ,

Thanks for your query letter. As much as I love stories like this, I have unfortunately come to the conclusion that this is something far too familiar, and therefore, I must pass.

Thank you for thinking of me and I wish you the best as you move forward with your project!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
1/10 is a good ratio. Good luck with the full request!

The quoted letter looks like form to me.

When you reach 50 posts that engage with the community, you'll be able to post your query in Query Letter Hell. If you would like to do this, I highly recommend heading over to the Share Your Work board (password: vista) to read and critique other queries. That will give you a feel for the room. Also check out the Successful Queries thread to see what's catching agents' eyes right now.

RightHoJeeves

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
It's hard to say without reading it (although the premise does sound like that new Walter Mitty movie). If you get your posts up to 50 you can post the query in the share your work section and get feedback. Although if you got a request then it's probably pretty good.

kydelaney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kydelaney.com
Wow, it does sound like the Walter Mitty movie - I hadn't hear of it before you mentioned it.

That's good to know, and I think there's a lot I can do to distinguish it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Kudra

Back and on track
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.TheInternationalFreelancer.com
Unless an agent has specifically asked you to revise and resend, it means accept it as a rejection and move on. You may want to incorporate the agent's opinion in your future queries (if you agree), but I'd say revising and resending is not going to help your cause.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.