• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Two Writers, One Name?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
A friend and I are working on a novel together (it could become a series, but you know...).

This is mostly a question asking opinions, not so much advice.

I recently thought of the idea of using a singular pen name for both of us. I kind of believe that if we use one name, it would cover that series, and people might not even initially wonder who did more work or wrote more. What do I know, though?

She would totally go for it as well.

So, what do you all think? ^^

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
Ellery Queen, Emma Lathen, Charles Todd, Laura London

What do these authors have in common? They are all two people. There are probably lots more, these just happen to be the ones I thought of right away.

If you are writing fiction, I would recommend a single pen name. Two names on the cover always look like nonfiction to me.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like a great idea as long as you don't argue over it.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Since my husband does most of the worldbuilding and plotting on the macro level, I'm giving him an initial in the pen name. The rest of the name, however, is mine. :evil I cover the micro level stuff, develop the characters, dig at the plot until I find the story, and write all of the actual prose of the dern thing.

You guys aren't married, so of course the situation is different, but sharing a pen name is still absolutely fine. Assuming you've got all your ducks in a row, legally speaking.

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
A friend and I are working on a novel together (it could become a series, but you know...).

I recently thought of the idea of using a singular pen name for both of us. I kind of believe that if we use one name, it would cover that series, and people might not even initially wonder who did more work or wrote more. What do I know, though?

You might want to consult with an IP attorney on some of the legal issues that can arise from this and have a legal agreement drafted. It's nice to think our friends will never sue us, but...

What if you guys have a falling out before the series is completed? Who will have the right to continue publishing it? Who will continue to use the pen name? Both? Neither?

Or, what if there is no falling out and the series becomes popular along with the pen name? Will you be retiring the pen name after the series? Continue writing together? What if one or both of you want to keep using the popular pen name for your separate future works?

Etc, etc.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
You might want to consult with an IP attorney on some of the legal issues that can arise from this and have a legal agreement drafted. It's nice to think our friends will never sue us, but...

What if you guys have a falling out before the series is completed? Who will have the right to continue publishing it? Who will continue to use the pen name? Both? Neither?

Or, what if there is no falling out and the series becomes popular along with the pen name? Will you be retiring the pen name after the series? Continue writing together? What if one or both of you want to keep using the popular pen name for your separate future works?

Etc, etc.
While that all may be possible, PAYING for an attorney over a pen name that we could work out seems kind of silly. I have no job and she's got tight finance issues.

No paying for attorneys, sorry!

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
While that all may be possible, PAYING for an attorney over a pen name that we could work out seems kind of silly. I have no job and she's got tight finance issues.

I Am Not a Lawyer, But: Register copyright in the work jointly, and make sure that any contract you sign assigning the publishing rights recognizes you both as authors and copyright holders. This isn't terribly recondite stuff and publishers/agencies will know how to deal with it.

EDIT: You don't HAVE to register copyright, of course - you both have it the second you wrote the story down - but it'll save a lot of time in the event of a dispute.

Last edited:

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score

It's probably not as expensive as you think. Barring any special circumstances a consultation about generally how this will work should take less than half an hour. You can also check for attorneys in your area who might work pro bono or for a lower rate in some cases. Check with your state bar.

Either way, you guys should still talk this over ahead of time, and possibly write something down in case there are disagreements in the future.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score

You won't think it's silly if you write something that sells big. It's very often a case of pay a little bit now, or many thousands later on.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
You won't think it's silly if you write something that sells big. It's very often a case of pay a little bit now, or many thousands later on.

+1

As they say on The People's Court, there's a name for people who work without a contract: litigants. Even if it's scribbled on toilet paper with a crayon, get something in writing. And both of you get one copy.

If you're just writing together for fun, of course, don't bother. But if there's the chance of even one penny of profit... well, money disputes dissolve marriages, let alone friendships.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
+1

As they say on The People's Court, there's a name for people who work without a contract: litigants. Even if it's scribbled on toilet paper with a crayon, get something in writing. And both of you get one copy.

If you're just writing together for fun, of course, don't bother. But if there's the chance of even one penny of profit... well, money disputes dissolve marriages, let alone friendships.

Wouldn't the thing just be to register copyright jointly? Thus short-circuiting most potential legal entanglements?

It's quite right to say that you need to get *something* in writing. The whole hellacious Gaiman/McFarlane mess around the comic book Spawn, which sucked in and suppressed brilliant stuff like Miracleman, continues, AFAIK, to this day because of handshake nonsense.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score

Well, it worked just fine for Grant Naylor. Well, until they fell out......

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ellery Queen, Emma Lathen, Charles Todd, Laura London

What do these authors have in common? They are all two people. There are probably lots more, these just happen to be the ones I thought of right away.

If you are writing fiction, I would recommend a single pen name. Two names on the cover always look like nonfiction to me.

Same here.

If I pick up a tome on diverse interpretations of human sacrifice among the Aztecs in 14th-century Tenochtitlan, I expect to see two names--or three or four or five. If I pick up a novel, I am more comfortable with one name, even if I realize that more than one person is involved. This is just my preference as a reader (leaving aside any legal qualms you may have).

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
You can also use two writers, two names. Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child have done this to great success. (They've also written their own books, one name.)

Is there a problem in using your own two names? Then, when you write a book by yourself, use your own name.

I was planning to write a story with another short story writer and the first thing we agreed on, was two names. Listed alphabetical. Sorrily, the project fell apart.

alexaherself

Wordsmith and shoechick
Registered
Reaction score
I recently thought of the idea of using a singular pen name for both of us.

I think it's a very good, well established and successful idea, for fiction.

It certainly works for the bestselling British crime/suspense author Nicki French (actually Nicki Gerard and Sean French, and husband-and-wife team of former Times journalists).

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't the thing just be to register copyright jointly? Thus short-circuiting most potential legal entanglements?

It's quite right to say that you need to get *something* in writing. The whole hellacious Gaiman/McFarlane mess around the comic book Spawn, which sucked in and suppressed brilliant stuff like Miracleman, continues, AFAIK, to this day because of handshake nonsense.

The issue, I don't think, is establishing WHO was involved in the writing process, but things like the extent to which each person contributed, what way the money is split, if there are any special arrangements etc.

A lot of people assume it's a 50/50 thing, but in reality you often find that one writer can do a lot more of the work than the other, and in that case the money split comes into it. After all, if you are doing 3/4 of the work, are you happy getting only 50% of the profits?

Definitely get something in writing. You can even prepare your own contract to cut down on the costs - but get a solicitor to look over it before either of you sign it, just incase there is something you have missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.