Algebra as a liberal agenda tool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eric Bolling is a co-host on FoxNews' program, The Five. During a segment on "indoctrination in schools" he said some schools are pushing the liberal agenda by teaching algebra's distributive property because of the wording at the top of a Scholastic algebra worksheet. The worksheet's heading is "Distribute the wealth", which appears to be the sticking point for him and the other panelists from the video I watched.

“But even worse is the way some textbooks are pushing the liberal agenda,” the Fox News host explained, pointing to an algebra worksheet that Scholastic says gives students “nsight into the distributive property as it applies to multiplication.”
[Source: Raw Story article: Eric Bolling: Schools 'pushing the liberal agenda by teaching algebra']

I didn't know algebra was a political issue. But it seems everything these days is made into a political issue. And that irritates me.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
They are way off base.

<Sarcasm Cranked up to 11>
Algebra is an Arabic word, so obviously it's an Islamic plot.
</Sarcasm Cranked up to 11>

<12>
Hey, if all the people who I don't agree with become ignorant of the mathematical basis of computers, it'll be easier to control their actions and information since none of them will have any ability to understand the tools they rely upon.
</12>

<13>
They also won't be able to add up their own salaries, balance their checkbooks or know anything about money at all. So, we can implement a completely redistributionist economy and they'll never know it happened.
</13>

<14>
Then we can redirect their GPS's so that they all drive into a single spot in Death Valley which SIRI will have told them is a conservative resort where everyone has gone Galt. And since we'll control the thermostats, they'll all think it's a balmy 70 degrees.
</14>

<15>
Head explodes from sarcasm OD.
</15>

Last edited:

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, why pick wealth as the subject of an exercise in distribution? Over at about.com, they managed seven different worksheets without mentioning money once. The distributive property is a mathematical term, not a financial one. I'd like to see the worksheet to see how the concept was used financially.
“Distribute the wealth!” Bolling exclaimed, reading the worksheet. “Distribute the wealth with the lovely rich girl with a big ole bag of money, handing some money out.”
Why not a farmer handing out produce to his neighbors, or some such example?

Whether the author anticipated the furor over wealth redistribution and relished it or was simply tone-deaf to it, they made a bad choice.

Not to mention that the author suffers from the common misconception that possession of money equates with wealth.

Maxx

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, why pick wealth as the subject of an exercise in distribution? Over at about.com, they managed seven different worksheets without mentioning money once. The distributive property is a mathematical term, not a financial one. I'd like to see the worksheet to see how the concept was used financially.

Whether the author anticipated the furor over wealth redistribution and relished it or was simply tone-deaf to it, they made a bad choice.

Not to mention that the author suffers from the common misconception that possession of money equates with wealth.

Or maybe that was the point. Wealth is even more abstract than money or vegetables and the wealth of course multiplies (at least algebraically) once it arrives
at its distribution point.

Wealth actually seems like a reasonable abstraction to use.

Fertilizer, which might seem better at first glance, implies some kind of time factor rather than some arbitrary expansions at different conceptual locations.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
There are important things to get excited about in education today, and there are silly things. This is one of the silly things.

Money is often used to illustrate math principles. For instance, my wife taught 1st grade and one of the perennial story problems went something like this: "If Sarah* had ten pennies and gave 5 of them to Jerry*, how many pennies would she have left?"

I think there are agendas (both from the Right and the Left) with regards to education and textbooks, but this isn't one of them.

(*Or it could be Maria and Ismael)

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are important things to get excited about in education today, and there are silly things. This is one of the silly things.

Money is often used to illustrate math principles. For instance, my wife taught 1st grade and one of the perennial story problems went something like this: "If Sarah* had ten pennies and gave 5 of them to Jerry*, how many pennies would she have left?"

I think there are agendas (both from the Right and the Left) with regards to education and textbooks, but this isn't one of them.

I'm with Roger on this one, down to the worksheets. My second grader brought home worksheets that used money to teach math from kindergarten on. Story problems using them, too, yep.

Liberal agenda. Bah. Seems like a huge stretch, to me. Starting at bogeymen of their own creation.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
One of the ways to connect with students is to connect the concepts to their experience. Again, money is a good way to do that. I often use currency conversion to introduce the concept of converting between different units of measurement in my chemistry classes because it shows them that they already know how to do that kind of problem.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score

Please.

You can't be serious. Writers of such problems are always starved for coming up with new examples, and as Roger pointed out, moving money around is a very common setup to a math problem, and has been at least since I as in elementary school, and probably longer.

I can't wait to hear some of the conspiracy theories you'd come up if you saw some of the wording for the problems in my Probability book. You'd swear the authors are part of some kind of AIDS conspiracy, because of how often you calculate the probably of having it given some test or other...

The significance of this is precisely nil.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. I had to write statistics examples in an AP class textbook chapter, and trying to write politically, gender- and ethnicity-neutral examples was actually really hard. As sensitive as I try to be, the editors still found two examples where my choices 'implied' something that was problematic.

I thought the examples would be the easy part. No, definitely not.

Last edited:

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

I'm with Roger on this one, down to the worksheets. My second grader brought home worksheets that used money to teach math from kindergarten on. Story problems using them, too, yep.

Liberal agenda. Bah. Seems like a huge stretch, to me. Starting at bogeymen of their own creation.
You're both so naive.*

*This is a joke.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Eric Bolling needs to learn how to pick his battles.

kenthepen

Registered
Reaction score
Missing the point. The more the media morons point to ghosts, the more the irascible rabble will believe in (and be distracted by)ghosts.

Propaganda 101

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score

Absolutely. There are many different ways that people use math in their everyday lives. But money is the most obvious example, because everyone uses it. Speaking as a former kid who hated math, I think that math is probably the most common subject in which kids ask, "Why do I need to learn this stuff?" You could answer that question by saying, "If you were a farmer..." Or you could just say, "If you want to buy a ticket to a concert, you need to figure out how much it costs, how much allowance you get every week, and how long it would take you to save that much money." Which answer do you think would be more immediately relevant to a kid?

little_e

Trust: that most precious coin.
Registered
Reaction score
Heck, I used money-examples to teach myself negative numbers. By themselves, they're awfully abstract. But if you think of them as debt, then the idea of adding or subtracting debt, multiplying debt, etc., all makes sense.

Chrissy

Bright and Early for the Daily Race
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here, this should make Eric happy:

Distribute the wealth!

A corporation makes X dollars in 2012. Corporation has n shareholders.

X / n = wealth per corporate shareholder!!!

(ETA: and what Don said about equating money and wealth)

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com

Distribute the wealth!

(ETA: and what Don said about equating money and wealth)

You know this is wrong, right?

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The assumption is that all shareholders own equal percentages of the company (which is a subchapter S corporation). I was trying to make it at 2nd grade level.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The assumption is that all shareholders own equal percentages of the company (which is a subchapter S corporation). I was trying to make it at 2nd grade level.

I think the poster meant it wasn't demonstrating the distributive property.

That's the one says 2(3+4) is the same as 2*3 + 2*4, hence if you have 2x(3x+y) you end up with 6x^2 + 2xy.

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the poster meant it wasn't demonstrating the distributive property.

That's the one says 2(3+4) is the same as 2*3 + 2*4, hence if you have 2x(3x+y) you end up with 6x^2 + 2xy.

Ah, I see. Thank you, cornflake. Sorry, my accounting brain was equating the distributive property with distributive share of earnings. Must re-take Algebra. :D

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Lest I lead anyone astray with my failed attempt at a Republican dig:

Distribute the wealth!

You know this is wrong, right?

In an S corporation, partnership, or LLC, the annual net income is "distributed" to each shareholder/partner/LLC member in proportion to their ownership interests. Technically, this "distribution" is for tax purposes; the shareholder/partner/LLC member does not necessarily receive the money (but often does). At any rate, it is DEEMED income to them, and is taxed as income to them, personally.

In a "C" corporation (think SEC regulated corps), the annual net income of the corporation is taxed to the corporation, and is "retained" by the corporation. Any earnings the shareholders receive are generally in the form of dividends, taxable to the shareholder, deductible by the corporation, and have less to do with actual corporate earnings. Some corps never pay dividends, and the shareholders' "wealth" is only achieved through increases in stock value, which is not taxed until the stock is sold.

Since the vast majority of my clients are small businesses, I'm programmed to think of corporations as being of the former variety above, but this is not always the case, obviously.

tl;dr - I was just tryin' to be funny.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gosh, Chrissy! Accounting is no joke! Shame on you, shame, shame, shame. *wags finger* :D

That said, thanks for the mini-lesson, seriously. Math was always my worst subject -- I nearly failed algebra every time I took it. Mostly because it was always so abstract to me, and made no real sense. Maybe if they'd used more concrete examples, I might've retained the information, heh. I can count back change like a champ, though. Thanks, Mrs. Dougherty! (My third grade teacher)

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You're welcome! Thank you for staying awake! ;) Sometimes when I post about this stuff I hear the voice of the Peanuts teacher in my head. :D

Chrissy

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*throws book at qW from bookrack*

Status
Not open for further replies.