Arch Bishop V Cameron

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
I'm not religious in any way, but today all my respect goes to the Arch Bishop of Canterbury.

Cameron's 'Big Society' idea has come under The Archbishop's critisim as being 'stale', and coalition reform is not only promoting a 'deserved' / 'undeserving' poor, but by rushing through a manifesto that lacks any real detail, it's undermining democracy itself. People voted for change, yes, they knew change had to happen, yes, but those people are still not clear 'how' exactly that change is going to happen. And it's this that brings into question the whole democracy debate: can you really pass a mandate that is nothing but a sketch drawing.

I know from a personal pov claiming D.L.A. for a disabled hubby, that Cameron's policies have created nothing but social tension and fear. His idea for a 'big society' comes with 'big boots', and they don't seem to care who they kick.

A few months back, a mother looking after a disabled daughter--who voted Cameron in for these changes--sent a message to friends saying that she had no choice but to put her child into care because she couldn't get the help she desperately needed. It took thousands of replies to this woman to get Cameron's head turned in her direction.

They coaltion have been in power a while now and still we've had no clarification on how these changes to Income Support will affect us. We're left dangling.

The coalition's reply was ricidulous. They were 'baffled' by the comments. Apparantly they've missed the student protests, the NUTs threats of strike, the threat of coordinated strikes across the country which the Government is trying to stop by raising the strike numbers, not to mention the big health reform bill that's got Cameron scrambling round the hospitals trying to placate.

One Tory mp said that while the Arch Bishop can be intregal part of connecting and communicating with society with his eloquence and verbal skills, he should tread carefully with politics.

So much for the big society, eh? This we're all in it together so long as you stick to your fence and I'll stick to mine.

As for the Arch Bishop: nice to see someone in such a strong position has some minerals.

Last edited:

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I'm with the bish. And, frankly, I'm sick of Cameron and his mates putting the blame on the last government every time someone calls them on their bullshit plans. We know they had their work cut out for them, but it's been over a year and the Gordon Brown left us with us with a big mess line is getting really old.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Do I have to choose any of them? Either an AB that's got his head so far up his rear that the light at the end of the tunnel is the light falling in through his blabbing mouth, or the tragic comedy central that occupies Downing street...? I don't like the choice.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Do I have to choose any of them? Either an AB that's got his head so far up his rear that the light at the end of the tunnel is the light falling in through his blabbing mouth, or the tragic comedy central that occupies Downing street...? I don't like the choice.

They should just get drunk and snog. That would break the tension.

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com

Stick 'em on Harry Hill's TV Burp and... FIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
For once, I actually agree with the Bish. Big Society is a big joke, and a coverup for the fact that the Tories are shedding jobs by the bucketload and expecting people, as part of their Big Society ideal, to do those previously paid jobs for free.

We're all in it together. Unless you're rich, in which case, carry on.