Opinions?

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
I am really, really disappointed in my new publisher. I was supposed to have two books coming in May, a re-release of Lead Poisoning and a new one, Stress Fractures. They're both part of a series, and they were meant to support each other. So we were working through the edits and my editor dropped off the planet right before Thanksgiving. Well okay, it being the holidays and all, I gave her a little time, then a nudge. Nothing. No response to emails. After Christmas I brought it up to the publisher and she got no response. Meanwhile, time is passing. Like 9 weeks of time. She finally resurfaced after 10 weeks. But now it's too late to get both books out for May. Lead Poisoning is ready to go, it didn't need much work, but we haven't even started Stress Fractures. No way to make the deadlines. I am devastated. The publisher wants to bring out the second edition of Lead Poisoning in May, and bring out Stress Fractures in June or July. I thought it would be better to wait and bring them out together. I've saturated my market for Lead Poisoning, and I can't see getting a ton of sales without the other one to generate fresh interest. My publisher disagrees and is really pushing to bring out Lead Poisoning in May. What do you folks think?

PaulLev

I was here 3 months from now.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
PaulLevinson.net
For what it's worth - any time I've disagreed with my publishers' marketing decisions, and brought that disagreement to the publisher, I've had no effect on the marketing, and got nothing but more aggravation for my views. This was the case for both fiction (science fiction/mystery) and nonfiction. So, based on that, I guess I'd recommend that you don't expend too much time on this, and (the old cliche) devote that time to writing.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, jesey, I'm sorry. :( That sucks. Did she at least have some kind of excuse?

I don't know about the timing. Are they going to do any marketing, or is it all on you?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Who the heck is your publisher? I've never heard of a publisher where an editor could pull a stunt like that without being fired instantly.

Anyway, I agree with the publisher. If the market for Lead Poisoning really has been used up, bringing it out with another book is not likely to help. If sales haven't been exhausted, bring it out with a new book could actually harm sales of the new book.

I'm a firm believer that an older book should come out well before the new book, or a few months after the new book, but never at the same time. Brining out a second printing well befor eteh new book comes out doesn't harm either book. At worste, it may delay sales of the earlier book until the new book's release, but this does no harm at all.

At best, the second printing may grab new readers, which will help sales of the new book.

Lead Poisoning will still be available to readers when Stress Fractures comes out a month or two later, so you're getting the best of both worlds.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway, I agree with the publisher. If the market for Lead Poisoning really has been used up, bringing it out with another book is not likely to help. If sales haven't been exhausted, bring it out with a new book could actually harm sales of the new book.
I agree with James. It will be great to have Lead Poisoning already available once Stress Fractures makes its debut, and any new readers that LP captures won't have to wait long for the next book. This could all work out fine.

Not fine is your editor's behavior. It's never good when communicate ceases, but ten weeks of silence - including silence to the publisher - is ridiculous. I'm sorry that happened, jeseymour.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
James - it's a small traditional publisher, and I think the editor is freelance, hired by them.

Thanks for the reassurance, everybody. I know the publisher wants to bring the 2nd edition of LP out in May, so we'll do that, and hope for June or July for SF.

The editor said she had a migraine. I am still working with her, because I thought we worked well together, but if she does this again, I will ask for a new editor.

I'm responsible for most of the marketing, although they do a virtual blog tour for me.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
James - it's a small traditional publisher, and I think the editor is freelance, hired by them.

Thanks for the reassurance, everybody. I know the publisher wants to bring the 2nd edition of LP out in May, so we'll do that, and hope for June or July for SF.

The editor said she had a migraine. I am still working with her, because I thought we worked well together, but if she does this again, I will ask for a new editor.

I'm responsible for most of the marketing, although they do a virtual blog tour for me.

I've had to ask for a new editor at a pretty large commercial publisher, though not for the same reason. It happens, and a good publisher will eventually deal with it.

These are tougher decisions than most would think, and being wrong by going either way is possible. Sometimes you just have to trust your publisher.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
I agree with the others about Lead Poisoning. Unless it already spent a month on the NYT Best Sellers list, you have not exhausted the market. My own first book has now sold more in the past two months than it did the first quarter it was out, not more $$ since it's on sale, but more copies to readers who now want the sequel.

Let them re-release Lead Poisoning because their market appeal is different from yours individually. They will get your name out there and generate name recognition for you.

On that editor...

I would seriously ask for a replacement. A 9-month delay is completely unacceptable and may have put the publisher in breach of contract. Check your fine print.

On the publisher...

Has the publisher been good overall or do you want out of the contract? The question mainly is trust and whether they are a company you want backing up your books. If not, this editor may have given you an exit. In my own experience, my publisher has done several marketing things I didn't understand but that boosted sales. Marketing is something I help with but is mainly their department. They are, after all, experts. I am not.

Wishing you the best with this tough decision,

Lucie

Last edited:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
For ten weeks? And she couldn't ask anyone to contact you or the publisher to let you know she was unavoidably delayed?

I have heard lots of excuses in my time in publishing. The ones I appreciate the most are the timely, upfront, and honest ones, including "I overbooked myself." Given a timely response, I will likely work with you again, even if I get that last excuse. I will not work again with someone who disappears for months and screws up my publication schedule, even if I like this person.

jesey, my unasked for advice ;) if you like this editor and want to keep working with her, then by all means do. But the moment communication cuts off again, your publisher should reach out to the editor and if they get no response, they need to reassign the work to someone else.

jeseymour

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jeseymour.com
And it's looking like I will have to ask for a new editor. Still haven't finished the edits on Stress Fractures. She does a couple of chapters a week, (and then disappears for a couple of weeks) and we are in the fourth round, so really, it shouldn't take that long. We are doing galley proofs for Lead Poisoning and she left out an entire chapter when she uploaded the final files for publication. I think it's time for me to ask to have her replaced. I am so frustrated!

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Make your case calmly to your publisher. Point out the missing chapter. Raise concerns that the finished product may not be complete, your concern over what that sort of thing could do for sales and the problems it could cause for the publisher. Your complaints are legitimate, but it doesn't hurt to point to bottom-line implications. I'm sorry this is still going on, jeseymour!

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
And it's looking like I will have to ask for a new editor. Still haven't finished the edits on Stress Fractures. She does a couple of chapters a week, (and then disappears for a couple of weeks) and we are in the fourth round, so really, it shouldn't take that long. We are doing galley proofs for Lead Poisoning and she left out an entire chapter when she uploaded the final files for publication. I think it's time for me to ask to have her replaced. I am so frustrated!

My book's first review copies went out and I was so nervous. A friend of mine got one and gave me a very strange review. She said that the ending felt unresolved, that she didn't know who did it. Seemed strange until I was finally sent my final proof. My last chapter had been dropped somewhere in the processing. Everybody had been so concerned about a particular chapter that they hadn't looked at the end.

BUT I had had a good experience overall with my publisher and we used it as a leg up, a chance to call the reviewers and offer to send the final chapter. A LOT of them had similar experiences to share. (Not that any big-time reviewers would touch my first book, right?)

Jesey, I am so so sorry this trust issue is still a problem overall. ((( hugs ))) This should be a joyful time, not a frustrating one. Last time you also mentioned that she sort of just disappeared. Is it possible that she is editing a different project? If not, she has caused enough significant delay that you are justified asking for a different editor next time, but ...

- How is her editing? If you have synchronicity on edits, that is kind of hard to find. I have a good editor that I respect but have heard horror tales—even from friends who cannot stand my editor. The synchronicity of writer/editor is really important. I haven't heard actual complaints about that from you yet so consider that carefully. By all means if you don't feel synchronized, drop her for the next book.

- Check your contract. Do you have another book under contract with them? Even if you do, they likely have an out. No matter what the problems, be seen as the professional—don't allow her problem to get you labeled as problematic. They know where the issue is, beyond that, be the good egg in their eyes. Focus on the success of your books.

Just now, I know it's really, really hard, but the ONLY thing on your mind should be getting review attention and booking author events.

The best revenge is great sales!

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have no advice, just sympathies. Sounds incredibly frustrating, and I hope it gets settled soon to your satisfaction!