I could use some direction...

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
I could use some direction... UPDATED!!

I am a complete freelancing novice. I write - but have not written for publication before.

A moderator of part of our local newspaper's online site has read my blog and suggested that I approach the paper with a view to writing for them. She is a freelancer herself. Although very flattered at the time, without the first clue on how to do this I dismissed the idea.

She contacted me again recently telling me that the paper is specifically looking for writers available to cover parenting/family/relationship stories, as well as other topics. My contact at the paper copied me on an email from the paper's feature editor requesting that any writers she knows contact her with writing samples and sample story ideas.

I researched as much as I could about approaching editors and drafted a basic query letter. I gave some background, writing samples from my blog, as well as a link to where one of my pieces was republished with my permission on another site. I also provided three story ideas, with basic outlines of how I would like to develop them further. I sent the letter via email and didn't hear back for two weeks.

While I was sending my email - my original contact at the paper - also forwarded examples of my work and recommended me to this editor.

I did hear back from the editor - but it was in response to the email her colleague sent her about me, not a responose to my own email.

This editor has stated that she's interested in me doing a try out story and that I could either pitch a story to her, or she would send me some stories they need written. She also said she would like to meet for lunch to brainstorm ideas.

This feels like a very positive response, but it did leave me wondering about the stories I thought I'd already pitched to her! I responded thanking her for getting in touch with me and I mentioned that I had sent a separate email with story ideas included and that in case she hadn't seen it, I copied that email within the body of my response so she could learn a little more about me and the the topics I had suggested. I told her I would love to do a try out story and looked forward to hearing from her.

Shortly after the editor's first email to me, and before I sent my response, I received a second email addressed to 'freelancers' about a story she needs on an upcoming children's book written by an author originally from our town. She stated how long the piece needed to be, the authors details, and how much they would pay for the article.

I have not at this point responded to the author article suggestion for several reasons most of which center this type of writing being WAY out of my experience.

If you've made it this far, thank you!

I guess I'm looking for clarity on how I move this forward. The idea of writing for publication is an increasingly appealing one for me as something I can do part time (I am a stay at home mom). This opportunity with the newspaper has whet my freelancing appetite so to speak and I have been researching as much as possible on how to do this and have learned a lot from these forums and from a couple of books I'm reading.

I have taken a very professional approach with this editor - but she knows that I'm new to this.

Should I follow up again with the editor on my original story suggestions? It has been one week since her email to me. Am I shooting myself in the foot by not responding to the opportunity to cover the author whose book is due out soon?

I feel like I'm in limbo here - I realize it's not uncommon for editors to take a long time to respond and that's fine. I'm just trying to make sure I've done what I can at my end to up my chances of working with her.

Any tips or suggestions gratefully received :)

Last edited:

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, congrats and good for you!!! That's really great that they scooped you off the internet, so to speak :)

I just stumbled into freelance writing a couple years ago and my experience with the paper's editor was a bit similar. He had expressed strong interest and requested material, then I didn't hear from him for months! I checked in a couple times, no reply. I thought he changed his mind but still wanted to at least get a firm "thanks, but no thanks". A friend who freelances for the paper told me the guy was totally run off his feet and I should just send in some more stuff on spec. I waited some more, not sure if that wouldn't backfire rather badly, then went ahead and send 3 articles in over three weeks, and then finally had a very long reply from the editor who gave me some tips on how to write better and strated me off on a weekly column, which I've been doing ever since!

So I think your paper's editor might just also be really, really busy. I would call, ask if it's a good time to chat for a couple minutes, and then get your confusion straightened out. Do you alredy know how much they pay? Don't be shy to ask.

I wish you all the best of luck and let us know how it panned out!!!!

CatMuse33

Just hitting send
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allcotmedia.com
I'd call her up and set a date for lunch. She said that's what she'd like to do. That's AWESOME! Congrats!!

Over lunch, you can clear up everything -- re-pitch the ideas you e-mailed in person... she may not even remember reading them. Or who knows, maybe she never DID get those pitches.

Be honest about feeling as if the children's book story is out of your league - OR go ahead and give it a shot. :) I bet you'll do better than you think you will.

For what it's worth, I don't think I've ever had an editor invite me to lunch. Go you!

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I'm with CatMuse -- call the editor today. I'm guessing, based on your post, that you have only communicated via e-mail so far. And yes, I'm aware that calling may be more than you've done before, and it might seem intimidating. If that is the case, here's a push to make that phone call (not e-mail), and have you calendar open in front of you so you can propose a date and another date if the one you suggest isn't open for the editor! :)

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Well, why not just go for the kiddie book interview? :) If it's still available.. Otherwise you can just say you were busy or something?

Maybe just take a look at similar material published by them before?
Jenna's & Kelly's books on freelancing (& probably others too) also give great tips for interviews, not specifically for kiddie books authors, but in general.

(I was physically sick before pretty much all of my interviews so far, but the people turned out really great!)

Also, seems to me the afore-mentioned lunch might be great! & if you know which day is least busy for them, it's best to call or get together then..

Some people write easier than talk, some people prefer talking muchly.. And especially if editors are 'not so sure' about something, it may help to talk to them by phone or in person..

Good luck!!

Cate

Never Bored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherineltully.com
It sounds like you are handling things well so far--good for you! It is so confusing at first--I know! The call is a good idea. I wouldn't worry too much about your story ideas. You can mention that when you have a chance to talk with her more.

All the best to you! Let us know what happens...your experience may help another newbie out there!;)

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
My advice: get in over your head. I do it all the time and only about a third of the time do I regret it. Still, what doesn't break us only makes us stronger.

I agree with the consensus of the thread: Eat some Lunch already! A regular stint at your local paper is "making it" for some of us. Challenge yourself with your writing and with the topics you tackle. I have always found that coming up with marketable ideas is the hardest part.

....Or you could always send me the editor's number and...uhh...I could...uhh...y'know....(mumbling).

Best of luck and keep us posted

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
Very late update to this story:

I contacted the Editor with a view to setting up lunch as she suggested and reiterated the story ideas I had already pitched.

I never heard back from her.

I then came down with some stressful health issues (requiring a heart monitor and a cardiology visit) so my mind wasn't focused on the freelancing gig for a while.

Not wanting to drop the ball - I contacted this editor again last Saturday with an additional story idea - one that I have wanted to do for a long time - and one that became very topical following a tragic accident locally where four people were killed including a baby in an accident, with none of the deceased wearing seatbelts or being appropriately restrained in a car seat.

I gave an outline of the article I wanted to write (on car seat safety), sources I had lined up to interview (car passenger safety instructors) and details of what form the article would take in terms of style and content.

I said explicitly in two sections of the email that I wanted to do this article and the implication in the body of the email was that I would be the one to write it given that I had an interview set up.

I got a phone call from the features reporter thanking me for the email - that it was a GREAT story and he would be writing it! I was very taken aback. I assumed that they decided it was a 'news' story rather than a feature that they would normally farm out to freelancers - and while I was a bit ticked - I accepted it.

However, I have a contact who works for the paper - whom has been prompting, coaching and encouraging me to seek freelancing opportunities with this publication - and whom encouraged me to pitch the car seat story. She was also disturbed by what happened and contacted the editor concerned. The editor said she didn't know I was pitiching the story to write myself.

I got two very watery apologies from the Features Reporter, and his Editor that they didn't know I was pitching to write this myself. I responded that from my perspective given that I said twice in my email that I would write it that I felt it was very clear I was pitching to write this myself.

I just wanted to ask the more experienced writers - is this common? Is this normal?

I spoke with the editor involved today and she said that she would welcome further story ideas from me. I am beyond frustrated at this because I have already sent her 3 story outlines - on two separate occasions and she has never responded to them. I sent my pitch on the car seat story as a follow up to previous emails and still - no feedback from her.

At this point I'm wondering if my previous story ideas were too broad - but to be honest I am loathe to give any meatier details for fear that they will 'steal' them as well and have a staff writer do the piece.

Any advice on how to deal with this? This is a local newspaper - owned by the New York Times. Should I cut my losses and knock on other doors? Is it worth pursuing other opportunities with this editor or is it likely that this will happen me again?

Last edited:

trishabartle

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trishabartle.com
Oh man! What a shitty thing to happen. That's totally messed up.

When you said, 'hey, this is my story, not yours,' was it before the story was published? Did they go ahead with the story anyway?

Because, with them stealing your idea, they are essentially taking away your right to it. You can no longer pitch it to another newspaper. They really stole your idea, and any money you could have made with it.

I don't really know anything about newspaper publishing, but I'd definitely not work with them again.

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
Oh man! What a shitty thing to happen. That's totally messed up.

When you said, 'hey, this is my story, not yours,' was it before the story was published? Did they go ahead with the story anyway?

Because, with them stealing your idea, they are essentially taking away your right to it. You can no longer pitch it to another newspaper. They really stole your idea, and any money you could have made with it.

I don't really know anything about newspaper publishing, but I'd definitely not work with them again.

My understanding is that they are actively working on this (with my source whom they claim they've worked with before) with a view to running it as a news story. They have not published it yet. I guess they're doing it as a follow up to other news articles they ran on the accident I mentioned - so technically they are taking it into the 'news' realm - and not a feature as I had pitched it.

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
I heard from my source today - that the features reporter interviewed her yesterday - so they are definitely going ahead with this story.

You know, if they'd told me from the outset that they liked the story - that they wanted to cover it but rather than run it as a feature, they wanted to run it as a follow up news story - and wanted a more experienced journalist to do it - I could have accepted that much more easily.

As it stands I still feel like they completely ripped off my story - and added insult to injury by saying they didn't know I was pitching it for myself - I've had others read my query email - and they agree it was clear I was pitching to write this myself.

I'm having a hard time getting over this lol! I guess this is what they mean when 'they' say that freelancers need to have a thick skin. I just didn't think I'd be dealing with people stealing my stories.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Exactly -- what's done is done, now move on to the next bit 'o writing! :) I'm thinking at another publication by now...

JoshPatton

Makes people nervous.
Registered
Reaction score
Irishmom,

I'd get their address though and send them an anonymous package...maybe frogs, rotten eggs, or some sort of treat that would later make them all have noxious gas.

I mean thick-skin and moving on is a good thing to do, but who says you can't have a little fun first?

Last edited:

SouthernFriedJulie

Hidin' the bodies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blacklabelbooks.blogspot.com
Send an invoice. You plainly stated you would be the one writing it. They stole the idea. You have proof to back it up. So why not charge for the idea they pretty much admitted to stealing? I doubt you get paid, but who would want to deal with them again?

It's possible you have some sort of recourse, I hope someone with the experience in this situation comes in to reply.

:)

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
Irishmom,

I'd get their address though and send them an anonymous package...maybe frogs, rotten eggs, or some sort of treat that would later make them all have noxious gas.

I mean thick-skin and moving on is a good thing to do, but who says you can't have a little fun first?

LOL! Believe me I was tempted ;)

My gut reaction is to be done with them - my contact at the paper is still encouraging me to write for this paper - she even wants to talk about me to the Managing Editor of the paper, rather than have me submit to the sub editors. I don't know - I'm torn...

On the one hand - I would like to have published work with them to build up my portfolio - on the other hand - I don't ever want to work with the actual editor who stole my story as to do so would send her the message that I'm okay with what she did - and I am not.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Jeez, I'm so sorry that all turned out for you that way! But you know what - that paper sounds so crappy, I think you'd be MUCH better off pitching story ideas to other papers and magazined.
Look at the bright side: your idea was so good that they stole it; you've obviously got something going for you there. So take the compliment, leave them to their exceedingly crummy business practices and move on to better and brighter things.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
They stole your idea- plain as! I second the advice to send them an invoice- that's just not right. Where are you based Irishmom? Just wondering if you'd have any legal recourse. It might depend on where you are.

Sorry to hear about your experience and I'd also second the advice to pitch elsewhere. If your first experience with them is this difficult, I'm guessing it'll get harder. Just think what sort of runaround they'd give you when it came to getting paid!

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
So the publication ran the article today - on their front page!

The article covers ALL the talking points I (stupidly) gave to the reporter when he called me.

They made one glaring mistake though in terms of putting photographs of a local 'expert' in child passenger safety with her two kids - one of which was an 18 month old in a forward facing car seat - which is not illegal or anything - but directly flouts the 'advice' given in the piece to have such kids rear facing.

I would not have made that mistake.

I suppose I should take some solace in the fact that they ran it as a front page news story - therefore my idea was a GREAT one - and that he covered all of my 'talking points' - means I was spot on in this. I am somewhat encouraged by that - but still pissed (and freshly so seeing it in print lol!) about what happened.

Now, I can draw a line under it since the piece has run - and I'll forget about it and put it down to experience.

notwriting4free

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be sooo ticked!

In fact, I think I'm steaming right along with you.

Here's my take on having written as a freelancer for newspapers before.

Don't pitch them anything again until you've set down in person with a managing editor. Not even an inkling of an idea. You can email them and say "Hey! I have some great article ideas I'd like to run by you, when can we set up a meeting?" And then give them exact dates and times you'd be free to meet IN PERSON.

If you'd like to have your contact at the paper involved go for it but make it known that if they are interested in having you write for them, they need to bring a freelancer's contract. They have them. Nearly every paper has them for freelancers.

I wouldn't pitch another idea or story to anyone, not even your contact until you've met with an editor and signed a contract and have them sign and return it.

Unfortunately, there probably isn't a lot you can do about the story they stole from you. Since you're not contracted to them, they can pass this off to whomever they want. Having a contract would have protected you more.

I'd be leery about writing for them but if you really think there is something there, then pursue it. My thoughts are though is that they are disorganized and lack good communication between one editor to the next and you might be better off pitching to other newspapers.

Good luck!

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Have you taken advantage of the gajillion freelance books on the market, starting with Jenna Glatzer's? The nifty thing about writers is that they write, and there's a book (or 50 books) about every aspect, corner and bit of the freelance career.

Irishmom

Registered
Reaction score
Have you taken advantage of the gajillion freelance books on the market, starting with Jenna Glatzer's? The nifty thing about writers is that they write, and there's a book (or 50 books) about every aspect, corner and bit of the freelance career.

Yes, I have a few. Thanks.