Rejecting comments - I do it, do you?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Sure, I delete spam, and also now anything with personal insult or abise--as happens occassionally when people don't like a book review or are simply a bit... odd.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I've had one piece of spam since I installed the CAPTCHA and I'm convinced that was done by hand. (It was the guy who hit a few of the AW bloggers a while back promoting his self-pubbed stuff.)

People who post comments are on notice that I'll delete uncivil comments. Fortunately I've never had to do that yet, but I'm covered in case that happens.

MovieBlogger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.talkingmoviezzz.blogspot.com
A bit late to this topic, but here goes.

First off, as mentioned, word verification gets rid of most of the spam. When I first started up my blog a few years ago, I was getting hit with "I like your blog, if you want great deals on medication, click here". But, once I added the word verification, all that ended.

I would advise against moderation. Most readers when they see that won't leave a comment. And, they may not even visit your blog again. It does turn a lot of people off.

If someone leaves you a comment that seems just like they are promoting their blog, that is a different matter. And there are different ways to think about it.

One of the best ways to tell people about your blog is through comments. I've found probably 80% of the blogs I read through people commenting on my blog. And, if you see a blog you like, by commenting on theirs is a great way to get them to find yours.

If it is a blog you do not care for (is in a whole other genre, or language, or is offensive, or is just a shameless attempt to get hits to get Adsense money) those comments might be deleted.

But, by deleting comments, you can expect those people (if they are real people) to never visit your site again.

Blogs are supposed to be interactive. If not, then maybe a web site would be a better format.

NovaHairstylingGel

Registered
Reaction score
I like to think of myself as god on my blog. I delete any comment that fails to amuse me. My blog mentions that it's run on a theocratic policy. I got the fist of fury, I am the judge and the jury...

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
If the comments would get my blog pulled by blogger, or if they are spam, I pull them.

Otherwise, I don't censor, even if I am being attacked.

I force anonymous commentors to label themselves as such, but I have often considered disallowing anything anonymous.

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I moderate comments before they're posted to MySpace. As for my blog, that will be moderated as well. I used to have an open door policy on MySpace, but found that people have a tendency to leave really gross messages.
As for self promoting, I don't have problems with that, and I'm glad my circle doesn't either. I leave comments on several author's MySpace, and am glad they're approved & posted. What a great way to advertise my book to a huge fan base. I will gladly pass the favor forward; hence, when authors or musicians ask to 'be my friend', I accept--not that I'm famous, or anything. We're all trying to become known, get our work out there, have the dream of fame and fortune.
Who am I to say nay to others aspiring to fulfill their dreams?
Spammers: no
Self promoters: hell yeah!
monitor comments: better believe it!

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I do moderate my comments, though I've rarely had to reject a comment. But I did get some Portuguese spam recently. (Had to use an online translation service to read it!)

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I delete comments that are:

-Spam (easily 200+ per day)
-Spam-like (people blatantly trying to lure my readers elsewhere)
-Totally off-topic (personal attacks, for instance)

Everything else stays. :)