• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Folio Literary Management

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
I agree, Rachel Vater seems fantastic! Good idea to start at the top, then work your way down if you have to...Personally, I think target-marketing is the best way to go.
Agents and editors can tell when you're mass-marketing. Best of luck!

karo.ambrose

._.
Registered
Reaction score
I got a rejection from Jeff, but he said he liked my premise and forwarded my query to Scott, because he thinks he'd be a better fit.

I haven't heard anything from Scott yet (I mean, come on--it's been TEN WHOLE HOURS!!!), and I actually wanted to query him all along, but he was closed to unsolicited querys.

I've been solicited. *fingers crossed*

I at least hope he'll respond one way or another, cuz I go loco when I'm left without a response.

honeycomb

Caroline
Registered
Reaction score
Laney sent me a very nice reject -- actually said I was a good writer. However, she did ask to see it again.

I got a rejection from Jeff, but he said he liked my premise and forwarded my query to Scott, because he thinks he'd be a better fit.

I haven't heard anything from Scott yet (I mean, come on--it's been TEN WHOLE HOURS!!!), and I actually wanted to query him all along, but he was closed to unsolicited querys.

I've been solicited. *fingers crossed*

I at least hope he'll respond one way or another, cuz I go loco when I'm left without a response.

advice4writer

Registered
Reaction score
Did she say she'd reconsider it if you changed things up, rewrite? That's a good sign.

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Final Update:

In response to the partial she'd requested back in late October, I got a very nice personal rejection from Paige Wheeler yesterday. She thanked me for my patience, apologized for the long wait, complimented my writing, and offered what seemed heartfelt good luck wishes for finding an agent that would be passionate about my work. It was a feel good rejection without a doubt, and while it took a while, I would absolutely query this agency again with another project.

Juneluv12

Steel Magnolia & Snarky Pants
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kristaashe.webs.com
After querying Laney Becker, I got an automatic response saying she's not acceping queries for the month of February. She said it would be deleted, and then you could resubmit in March.

Never had that happen before.

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
Ok to query others in same agency?

I am new to the writing world, so please forgive the ignorance...

I received a rejection from Laney Becker and wanted to query another agent at Folio. Is it ok to query someone else within the same agency after one has already rejected me?

Leukman

Pernicious...n'stuff.
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they specify somewhere in their guidelines that the agency "shares" queries (and therefore does not accept submissions to multiple agents), then go for it. Especially if you've already received your response from the first one...

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
Unless they specify somewhere in their guidelines that the agency "shares" queries (and therefore does not accept submissions to multiple agents), then go for it. Especially if you've already received your response from the first one...

Thanks Leukman! I think I will query the agency again then.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you that all the projects which any agent thinks have merit are brought up and discussed by all the agents at their monthly editorial board meeting. Then again, a query one agent rejects will never reach the meeting stage, but should another bring it to the meeting it could create a problem. Your call.

Glamour177

Needs to Learn Patience.
Registered
Reaction score
I can tell you that all the projects which any agent thinks have merit are brought up and discussed by all the agents at their monthly editorial board meeting. Then again, a query one agent rejects will never reach the meeting stage, but should another bring it to the meeting it could create a problem. Your call.

Thanks for the additional info. The other agent I would've wanted to query isn't accepting new clients right now, so I never sent it.

I think I am going to have to sit back and rework my query letter before I send more out - I got an equery rejection in two minutes.

yeswecan

Registered
Reaction score
ERIN N?

Q: Any recent experiences w/ Erin N? She's had my full over a month now (which fits her time frame), but it took her longer than that to reply to my e-query. Just wondering if/when I should follow up?

She seems like a good fit for my novel but very busy...who isn't?

ps/Glamour, all agents in one agency aren't alike. I got reected by one Folio agent, the one I really wanted (on leave before) asked for my full. Go for it!

Last edited:

Lainey Bancroft

Cover Me!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.elaineforlife.com
My Update

Very kind and personalized rejection from Paige Wheeler on the requested partial.

Cool in the current 'ignore the ones we don't want' agent atmosphere. I very much appreciate the time taken and the professionalism.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Paige Wheeler requested three chapters, bio and a synopsis the day after my query. Let's hope she's also fast in getting back on this sample.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
Paige Wheeler requested three chapters, bio and a synopsis the day after my query. Let's hope she's also fast in getting back on this sample.

She's a wonderful person and a terrific agent. I wish you luck.

Gidget Widget

Registered
Reaction score
Had a wonderful experience with Paige.

Initially queried on 19 April but after not hearing anything - and her response time being listed as a couple of weeks - I re-queried on 18 May. She responded within a matter of hours with a personal rejection, stated the first email had never arrived and thanked me for resending. Said very nice things about my writing and asked that I query her with other projects.

I sent my standard 'thank you for your consideration' email and was staggered to receive another response from her asking that I definitely consider her for my next ms. :hooray: (I've never known an agent to be so personable by email.)

Overall very thrilled with Paige. Needless to say she's top of my list for my WIP, when it's ready.

Anonymissy

not so anonymous
Registered
Reaction score
Angkor, I had a similar experience -- I e-queried Paige Wheeler on May 4 and a few hours later she asked for the first three chapters of the manuscript, a brief one- or two-page synopsis, and a short bio, including a list of any previous publications. Gidget, that's lovely knowing that someone wants you to be sure to query them with your next ms, and a very civilized thing for an agent to do.

Angkor

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Twelve days after sending in my first three chapters at her request, I received a tentative rejection, if I can coin a term. She said she thought there was too much narration. Reviewing these chapters carefully, I see that about two-thirds is dialogue and action. So, I'm puzzled - don't get it. Anyway, Paige ended by saying:

". . . if you decide in the end to rework your material, I'd be happy to take a look at it. Thanks and good luck!"

I'm going to put this one aside as I await replies from the three agents who have my full manuscript.