The Tenth Circle

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
So... Is it stalkery to make comments on blogs that mention your book? Y'know, just a "Hope you enjoy it!" kinda comment?

Google Alerts may be the devil.

The Tenners group I belong to have talked about this. The group is split on it; some of them send a personal email, some comment, and some just don't do anything. I'm torn about it, even though for my target audience it's not going to be much of an issue.

Irysangel

She of Many Names
Registered
Reaction score
I think you need to know your target audience. If it's someone you're familiar with (I know a few bloggers on Twitter) then you might comment. Otherwise, I'd just leave it alone. Some people get uncomfortable when the author shows up to discuss/refute reviews. I've made it a personal policy to never comment to anything on Twitter or Amazon because those places aren't for me, the author. They're for other readers. :)

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Thanks. :)

It's interesting that there have been a few well-received "literary" superhero novels and a couple recent YA's, but that the ones marketed to the SF/F crowd don't seem to sell well. Mine's definitely not literary. It could be reworked as YA (agent and I have actually discussed this b/c of some of the themes present and relatively young ages of the characters). As it stands, it definitely as an UF flair.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Hmm. In about a month, my agent's getting back to me with notes on changing my post-apoc dystopian to YA. It's kinda horror/spec fic/fantasy right now. I'm hoping he'll give notes that make it fall definitely into one of those categories.

So the stress never ends, I see. *dies*

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Hey! Those are "tobacco smoking accessories"!

erinbee

slanted and enchanted
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.erinblakemore.com
(((Chaos)))

I'm at a total standstill of morasseness with the YA historical I'm trying to revise. I need a twist, a hook...and am coming up with ZERO. Blech.

In better news, I got an email from my assigned publicist!!! I'm a bit nervous about the entire process of finding out what ideas they have for my book and what resources might be thrown its way, so I'm trying to maintain an even strain...

HappyCamper

I lurk, therefore I am
Registered
Reaction score
Second editor rejection on the new series proposal, with the same reasons as the first - they tried superheroes and it didn't sell well.

I am now officially worried. :scared:

(((Chaos)))

Hmm. In about a month, my agent's getting back to me with notes on changing my post-apoc dystopian to YA. It's kinda horror/spec fic/fantasy right now. I'm hoping he'll give notes that make it fall definitely into one of those categories.

So the stress never ends, I see. *dies*

You can do it, Lily! :)

In better news, I got an email from my assigned publicist!!! I'm a bit nervous about the entire process of finding out what ideas they have for my book and what resources might be thrown its way, so I'm trying to maintain an even strain...

Exciting!!!

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
Starting to get a bit obsessy (yes, that's a word. 'Cause I said so, that's why!) about new project with The Agent. He's only had it for three weeks, and there was a ton of other stuff ahead of mine for him to read, so I know I can't reasonably expect to hear back on it til maybe the end of May. But I'm still anxious. What if he hates it? What if he says "Nah, I don't want to do this"? What do I do with it then?

Of course, I also had a dream last night that he called to tell me not only did he love it, but that he went ahead and sold it for $300K. *headdesk* Nothing like my subconscious fluctuating between extremes.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
Starting to get a bit obsessy (yes, that's a word. 'Cause I said so, that's why!) about new project with The Agent. He's only had it for three weeks, and there was a ton of other stuff ahead of mine for him to read, so I know I can't reasonably expect to hear back on it til maybe the end of May. But I'm still anxious. What if he hates it? What if he says "Nah, I don't want to do this"? What do I do with it then?

:Hug2:

Been there, so you have my sympathies. I was convinced he would hate my superheroes book, so I was surprised when called and said that with a few revisions he was sure he could sell it (I'm so glad he has utter faith in both my work and his skills, b/c I'm starting to worry myself over this particular project and it's only been through two editors!).

Faith, my friend. And lots of alcoholic beverages of your choice....

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be in the corner with Lily's tobacco smoking accessory.

Tasmin21

Registered
Reaction score
:snoopy: Girl, we gotta talk about this almost-info thing you got going on.

Kendare Blake

Committed lurker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kendareblake.com
Chaos, you really know how to pique everybody's interest! How about just a hint? Or a timeline for when you can break the good news?

phoenix

rising from the ashes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lizmichalski.com
Chaos -- congrats on the goodish sounding news!

Erin-- how exciting that you have an assigned publicist!

I am holed up in my office for the next two hours, eating jellybeans I stole from my daughter and working on revisions. Wish me luck!