Does anyone feel like giving up??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristi26

Registered
Reaction score
Try querying, sending a partial and a synopsis to a publisher. Then being asked for a full only to be told "Thanks, but I wasn't taken with it". That's happened to me three times on my completed ms. I still query and I'm hacking away at two different WIPs.

I've been rejected TONS of times. Trust me. My favorite one was for a short story I wrote. They sent the comments that the editors gave along with my rejection. One actually said, "I'm not sure why the writer thought anyone would care about this." OUCH!! That one really hurt. I don't submit to them anymore.

kristi26

Registered
Reaction score
Gypsy:

You're right. Writers DO notice things that non-writers don't. If I give a story to a friend or relative, they say, "It's great." That's all the feedback I get. If I put it online for other writers to read, they say, "It could be better. Let me show you how." I really appreciate that-don't get me wrong. It's just hard to take sometimes, you know? Anyway, feeling better today. Making progress on the thorn in my side. I look forward to the day when it's amazing, not just okay. :D

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
Sometimes I feel like giving up, like I'm not good enough at this to get anywhere. Anyone else like that?

Every single day.

I keep writing because I love to do it and I honestly don't have anything better to do.

I don't know how one can tell if they're any good or not because I'm in the same boat. But at the very least, the fact that you're wondering if you're any good prevents you from becoming that person on American Idol who thinks they rock when they just suck.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Kristi, yes, I have felt like giving up at times. While I am published, I'm not a book author, and I think I have given up on pursuing book authorship for now--for a lot of reasons, but basically because I'm not willing to pay the price after learning more about that over the last 4 years. It's not that I feel defeated by it so much as I am not convinced that that's a good 'fit' with me, personally. I'm ADD (I like smaller projects), and I'm not at all interested in marketing or having to promote what it is I write (or developing a platform--pursuing the speaker circuit, for example). So I guess what I'm saying is, that 'giving up' feeling is not necessarily a bad response, but you have to look at it carefully. Sometimes it's just a gut feeling that some aspect of what you're doing isn't working well for you, or isn't a good fit with your talents/abilities/interests. Maybe it's that you need a genre change, or you need to do a different type of writing. See if you can analyze what part of it is discouraging to you and why.

Last edited:

gypsyscarlett

Ma fin est mon commencement
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks HeaGrg. I need to keep telling myself that. I can't let other people tell me whether or not I'm great. I need to decide that for myself.

Exactly!
Whenever you feel down (and we all do sometimes)- remind yourself of what you just wrote. :)

And feel free to vent whenever you need to. This is the perfect place because we all understand.

Last edited:

nerds

of all the gin joints
Registered
Reaction score
does anyone feel like giving up?

Always. All the time. It's with me like the dark angel on the shoulder.

But, giving up on what? I'll never give up on writing, I'll always write and never give that up.

Giving up on trying to be published? Yes, I can see that taking place for me. But never writing itself.

timewaster

present
Registered
Reaction score
Sometimes I feel like giving up, like I'm not good enough at this to get anywhere. Anyone else like that?

I often feel like that. I've had seven novels published but none of them have been best sellers and I haven't won the Booker. Everyone feels that way most of the time. If you carry on writing it has to be because you like doing it otherwise there really is no reason to bother.

kristi26

Registered
Reaction score

I often feel like that. I've had seven novels published but none of them have been best sellers and I haven't won the Booker. Everyone feels that way most of the time. If you carry on writing it has to be because you like doing it otherwise there really is no reason to bother.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! :tongue

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I would be surprised if there was anyone who didn't, at one point, feel like giving up.

What keeps me going? Knowing that this is what I love to do. And for me, I never feel like giving up writing. Even when I don't feel like working on my WIP, I'm writing something. A poem, in my journal, a letter, my blog...I'm always practicing and writing and learning.

For me, sometimes, I feel like giving up on the "Get me published!" process. It's so frustrating and long and drawn out. Query over and over and over...wait for a response, query some more. I hate it! And it's so easy to let that slide. That's when I feel like giving up - not on the actual writing but on ever getting published.

But then I think about how I would feel seeing my book on the shelves.

And how the people who have done me wrong will feel seeing my book on the shelves. ;)

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Writing isn't easy.

Giving up is.
I disagree. Even when I think I'm giving up, those darn characters keep on jostling around in my head, vying for attention, trying to give me their stories.
Perhaps even more so when I think I'm giving up.

Whenever you feel like giving up, set aside your bigger project and pump out something tiny, that you can easily fix up. Impress yourself.
I often like to pump out something tiny. But I hear it can make you go blind.

(Too much?)

Status
Not open for further replies.