• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Talcott Notch Literary Services

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Additional feedback

Yesterday I received feedback from Gina on my revised manuscript. She sent me a two-page, single spaced letter, along with my MS, full of post-it notes with her handwritten notes on them...which she sent on her dime as a way of apologizing for the long response time (sent: November 29,2004; response: April 4, 2005).

Once again, her feedback was well worth the wait. Gina really GOT my work (there is no way to convey just how amazing that feels), and I could tell that she had given it a very careful read, based on her thoughts and insights. She had a few questions and some minor suggestions; I sent her a detailed response yesterday via e-mail to discuss further.

So far, my experience with Gina has been fabulous. I'm looking forward to her response to my e-mail message. I'll keep everyone posted.

Kiva Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivawolfe.net
Insightful, absolutely...

Of the four agents--big and not so big--who looked at my work, Gina was the only one took a substantial amount of time to evaluate my MS and provide some insightful feedback. That is extremely rare in this industry today. Other factors to consider are whether the agent looking at your work has established relationships with publishers and actually gets your manuscript into the right hands. I can't speak to the veracity of her company or her connections, but the woman has a heart of gold. I get the feeling she'll definitely go the distance for you. My fingers are crossed for you. Best of luck.

Last edited:

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Still more

Yesterday, Gina and I exchanged e-mails, discussing in depth specific points of my manuscript. Once again, she demonstrated not only that she had given the story a very close read but also that she understood what I want to accomplish with the story. So I will be doing another revision to incorporate these latest changes, then I will send her the revised manuscript.

My story is already worlds stronger than its previous incarnation. And I'm positive with the newest additions (really just tightening a few things here and there), it will be stronger still. I'll post when I send the MS and when I hear back from Gina (and, of course, what happens after that).

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Further update

A further update:

I exchanged a few more e-mails this week with Gina, discussing specific points of my manuscript. This morning, she told me that a specific change (mentioned in the last e-mail to her) was "a great addition" and that "in just one scene you add layers and dimension to the characters and the story."

Gotta say, it's not every day my ego is stoked. :) Gina continues to provide strong feedback (not just pats on the back, might I add -- there are numerous points that we discussed back and forth).

FYI: she's emphasizing mystery and NF over fantasy these days.

I'll keep everyone posted.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Not yet, Kiva. I know Gina received my second-round revised manuscript the last week of April. And so...I wait.

She's been busy. Last month, she sold FAMILY MATTERS, a debut crime novel, to Justin, Charles & Co. Smaller advance, but larger promotion from the publisher.

But no, nothing new to report regarding my manuscript. I'll definitely post when I have news, one way or another. But thanks for asking! :)

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Still the same, Kiva. I know she went on vacation about two weeks ago; I don't know if she's back yet. When I have more news, I'll post it here. :)

RonFranscell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ronfranscell.com
Stay tuned for some news!

Having just weathered Hurricane Rita's wrath here in Southeast Texas, picking up pieces of my house in odd places and being a newspaperman in the maelstrom, I am more interested in a nice long nap right now than almost anything else.

Almost.

Let me just say this: In the next several days, I'll have some good news to report re: Gina Panettieri and my most recent manuscript. It will settle some of the angst about her work, although I feel after re-reading this entire string it won't dissuade those who'd prefer to keep grinding an axe.

But I promise, as soon as details are settled ... good news.

In the meantime, take a look at my new blog, http://underthenews.blogspot.com and get some sense of what it's like to ride out a rather "sedate" Category 3 hurricane that's slowly eating away the building in which you're hunkering down!

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Reading this thread, I decided "what the heck" and sent her an e-query. Another agent is also looking at it, but I always abide by that adage of eggs and baskets. Two days for a reply, a very nice "sounds exactly like what we rep, please send 50 page and a synopsis".

So <shrug> it's a race to see who comes back first - one of two agents, or my current publisher who also has right of first refusal.

Wow, I feel like such a... writer! LOL

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Hey Ron! I just saw this in PMP:

Ron Franscell's FALL: The Rape and Murder of Innocence in a Small Town, the true story of the kidnap, rape, and murder of the author's childhood neighbors, an event that was to haunt the author until he returned home to face the aftermath, and the murderers, to Joan Dunphy at New Horizon Press, in a nice deal, by Gina Panettieri at Talcott Notch Literary Services (world English). [email protected]

CONGRATULATIONS! :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap:

Fabulous news!

RonFranscell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ronfranscell.com
Gina Panettieri agented this deal

Today, I signed a contract with New Horizon Press to publish my true crime/memoir, "Fall: An Intimate Crime Story." Gina Panettieri of Talcott Notch Agency agented the deal with a smaller house that had made its bones with reputable nonfiction books.​

The book -- about a monstrous 1973 rape and murder that touched me, my family, friends and neighbors and still reverberates eerily today in the Wyoming town where I grew up -- will be published in late 2006 or early 2007. Naturally, I've spent much of today pondering life and death, the illusion of sanctuary in a small town, and two girls who suffered more than anyone should. If you'd like to see what's been on my mind today, go to my blog at http://underthenews.blogspot.com

Gina Panettieri secured a modest advance and fair terms. She exuded passion for the project all along the way, offering suggestions on how it might be improved for a commercial marketplace. In less than seven months, she sold it. Throughout the pitch/dance/negotiation/signing process, she was supportive, energetic and surprisingly communicative -- none of which some entries on this string would have led me to believe. I have two previously published books -- both novels -- to which my agent gave none of the same energy. Gina Panettieri is not a one-size-fits-all agent, because no such thing exists. But in this case, she was MY agent and she earned her commission and my trust.

I still admire the Hosts of this string for encouraging would-be writers to be wary of the scammer-agents, and to investigate potential agents vigorously. But I will also encourage would-be authors to be skeptical of vitriolic (and usually anonymous) posts on message boards like this where the axe being ground isn't plainly displayed.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
I thought long and hard before posting this, but thought, what the heck. I don't want to stir anything up, but nonetheless...

Until mid-summer passed, and my fifth email to GP went unanswered, I had faith in her, too. She's had my piece, my novel, for over a year now with a promise to "do some edits on it and return it", but every time I write to ask what the status of it is, I get nothing. For a long time, I was in the TN support camp, but I suppose you can see why I'm beginning to migrate out of that camp.

Wonderful news, Ron. I'm glad you had something that tickled her fancy.

Kiva Wolfe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kivawolfe.net
Ron:

Congratulations on the placement of your book. Though brief, my interactions with Gina gave me the opinion that she is indeed someone who will work with and go the distance for a client. I will always appreciate the time and helpful feedback she offered on my original manuscript. Thanks for bringing this full-circle.

RonFranscell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ronfranscell.com
Merry Christmas, all!

Down here in Hurricane Rita-ravaged land, I barely got my roof replaced, my stumps ground, my fence propped up, my windows re-glazed, my shrubs uprooted and my barbecue grill returned by a very nice man in Kountze ... and it was time to send Christmas cards.

Alas, my Grinch/Scrooge/Donald Trump of an insurance agent wouldn't reimburse me for most of this stuff anyway -- especially the Christmas cards -- so I'm doing it extra cheap .... by bulletin board!

Merry Christmas!

I hope your holiday is warm, safe and hurricane-free ... this year, next and beyond!​

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Well... I submitted to Gina, when was it... October? *scrolls back* Yes, Mid October. Two and a half months ago. Not that long, in agent time. I e-mailed her once through her 'status' e-mail, with no response. I did get one, rather quickly, when I used her direct e-mail. I had a question about what she was looking for, since it changed since I subbed, and what I subbed was no longer on the list.

She said she's backlogged. And now it's the holidays, so I imagine I won't hear from her until after the New Year. If I don't hear by February, I'll e-mail her again.

She did move, so perhaps some manuscripts got lost in the shuffle?

Glad to hear you're getting back on your feet, Ron :)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
I’ve had a half dozen emails from her, and she was always terribly nice. Unfortunately, after keeping the ms of my novel for six months, she now tells me she’s moving away from fiction (except for whatever exceptions she makes, of course). Blast!

Christine N.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Great. Freaking great LOL. I guess I need to jot her off another e-mail this week and find out what's going on. I give myself a limit of agents to query at one time. Three have partials, and if one's coming back a rejection, I have another I need to send out to.

Just seems like every agent I send to lately changes what they're looking for after they ask me for a partial. Sigh.

Last edited:

RonFranscell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ronfranscell.com
The dead zone

Some recent postings reflect both the new and old state of affairs for book publishing. And neither is good for writers.

For those writers who submit to agents and don't hear back (or hear the agent has switched to a "new" genre) that's unfortunately just the way of this particular world. I once got a rejection notice from an agent a year AFTER the book had actually been published (with the help of a different agent.) And it was a form letter! Hang around at writers conferences long enough and you'll hear similar or worse horror stories about slow agents. They outnumber the fast, efficient ones.

But what's "slow"? To my impatient way of thinking, an agent should be able to respond -- if just to say, "Got it" -- within 6 weeks. After three months, you're perfectly within business etiquette to politely seek an update ... or move on.

Unless an agent asks for "exclusivity," send as many manuscripts out as possible. If an agent wants an exclusive look at your work, get a firm date after which you can submit to others -- say, 2 weeks.

But here's another thing to know about the book publishing business: It takes a lot of long vacations. The whole industry virtually shuts down in August and December. Don't expect to get quick responses from agents or editors in those months.

Face it, in the eyes, minds and hearts of most agents and editors, you are little better than the miner of ore. You provide the raw material they fashion into gold. They are important parts of the process, but don't let them trample on you. Be business-like and respectful; when your frustration has become untenable, move on and don't look back.