Resurrecting The Dead--the All New Horror Hounds Weekend Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cranky way to go:hooray:

Thanks, DL! :D Although, the harsh light of day isn't always as kind to my MS. Last night, I was convinced it was gold! Today, it looks a bit more like iron pyrite.

Still truckin', though.

Speaking of which: goal for this week is the same as last. 500 words or bust! Hopefully more, of course, but that's the minimum I'm hoping to get.

DL Hegel

Tigress Tyrant
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not Kirk, Spock, Luke, Flash or Arthur frellin
Website
www.myspace.com
Hang in there. sometimes we are our own worst punisher and that is Jeanne's job. ;)
Thanks, DL! :D Although, the harsh light of day isn't always as kind to my MS. Last night, I was convinced it was gold! Today, it looks a bit more like iron pyrite.

Still truckin', though.

Speaking of which: goal for this week is the same as last. 500 words or bust! Hopefully more, of course, but that's the minimum I'm hoping to get.

Last edited:

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
work harder so you can get Mr. Hardy;)
That's inspiration enough, isn't it? Unf, young Mr Hardy isn't in this one, but the next one in line for editing, so you just have to be patient!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.spikeo.bravejournal.com
I'd probablt find a really cheesy excuse for sitting on my ass if it weren't for this thrashing. Kudos to those of strong will, and strong backs (Crack!)

I'm reporting in late but did make a few hundred words among my editing frenzy. I got wrapped in Nathan's challenge and went back over my WIP with a stern eye. Still needs some polish but I believe it has hope.

Pike

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there. sometimes we are our own worst punisher and that is Jeanne's job. ;)

See, I read that and think "Frank Castle in a Death's Head t-shirt." The next poster reads that and sees "Dominatrix." :D

Proving, yet again, that all things are a matter of perspective.

(Which is fine, because while I could wear the t-shirt and only look marginally silly, a leather corset would make me look completely silly. :crazy: )

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd probablt find a really cheesy excuse for sitting on my ass if it weren't for this thrashing. Kudos to those of strong will, and strong backs (Crack!)

I'm reporting in late but did make a few hundred words among my editing frenzy. I got wrapped in Nathan's challenge and went back over my WIP with a stern eye. Still needs some polish but I believe it has hope.

Pike

Good for you on entering that contest, Pike. I collapse like a bad souffle at the idea of entering a contest! At least when I sub to an agent (one day I will, I swear!), nobody knows 'cept me, the agent, and their reader(s).

Yowza. Keep on keepin' on. :D

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com

Pike
Excellent! We are most pleased.
:whip::whip::whip:

You know the drill...

Back at it! More output! More, I say!

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
See, I read that and think "Frank Castle in a Death's Head t-shirt." The next poster reads that and sees "Dominatrix." :D

Proving, yet again, that all things are a matter of perspective.

(Which is fine, because while I could wear the t-shirt and only look marginally silly, a leather corset would make me look completely silly. :crazy: )
We are open minded here. Whatever twiddles your knobs, so to speak.

Now...

Assume the position...:D

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Good for you on entering that contest, Pike. I collapse like a bad souffle at the idea of entering a contest! At least when I sub to an agent (one day I will, I swear!), nobody knows 'cept me, the agent, and their reader(s).

Yowza. Keep on keepin' on. :D
Contests aren't so scary, Cranky. Why, I've lost tons of them and manage to go on each day. It's sort of a learned thing -- hold breath, enter contest, forget about it, check status, sigh, lather, rinse, repeat.

Besides, why do you THINK I like using the whip so much? ;)

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks Cranky and Jeanne. I'm a sucker for failure; set myself up and then i knock 'em down! No, seriously, I saw a great opportunity to learn something and proved that the tired cliche was true about old dogs and such.

Now I shall assume the position... in front of my keyboard.

Pike

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Contests aren't so scary, Cranky. Why, I've lost tons of them and manage to go on each day. It's sort of a learned thing -- hold breath, enter contest, forget about it, check status, sigh, lather, rinse, repeat.

Besides, why do you THINK I like using the whip so much? ;)

Hee!

I've entered exactly two contests in my whole life. The first was a Young Author's thingy sometime in the last century (LOL), and I was thisclose to winning first. They told me it took awhile to decide. I think mine lost because it was pretty dark and horrible. (Yes, even at fifteen...I blame Stephen King.) My poor little heart couldn't take knowing I was that close, and yet still so far.

I still have the second place medal, though. :D

The other was one of those stupid poetry anthology things I fell for. I wasn't stupid enough to buy the anthology, however, so props to me for that.

Pike, Pike, Pike. It's good you're in the correct writing position, but how on earth is Jeanne supposed to whip you properly that way? :D

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Hee!

I've entered exactly two contests in my whole life. The first was a Young Author's thingy sometime in the last century (LOL), and I was thisclose to winning first. They told me it took awhile to decide. I think mine lost because it was pretty dark and horrible. (Yes, even at fifteen...I blame Stephen King.) My poor little heart couldn't take knowing I was that close, and yet still so far.

I still have the second place medal, though. :D
Then you already have a more successful contest entry history than I do. Go on, enter some more. After all...we have ways of making you do so...:e2teeth:

The other was one of those stupid poetry anthology things I fell for. I wasn't stupid enough to buy the anthology, however, so props to me for that.
And, scams do not count. So, by our reckoning, you placed second in the only contest you ever entered. Not exactly seeing why you haven't entered every contest you've come across...

Pike, Pike, Pike. It's good you're in the correct writing position, but how on earth is Jeanne supposed to whip you properly that way? :D
Oh, no worries. I have my ways. Heh, heh, heh.:e2fight:

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Thanks Cranky and Jeanne. I'm a sucker for failure; set myself up and then i knock 'em down! No, seriously, I saw a great opportunity to learn something and proved that the tired cliche was true about old dogs and such.

Now I shall assume the position... in front of my keyboard.

Pike
Failure is not an option! Rejections are not failures. Not writing when you have the time and opportunity, not submitting something because you're afraid, not getting critique and beta help when you need it -- these are failures. But all are surmountable, and you get to start fresh each and every day. Each and every hour, or minute, if you want to or need to.

Rejections, however, are not failures. Rejections show that you are making the effort to get published, and that is never a failure.

Same with revisions, or seeing that something is not as good as it could be. Doesn't make any part of it a failure UNLESS you choose not to do the work to improve said piece and send it out.

Now, good man, we like that keyboard position! Onward! More! More! :whip:

Cranky

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*sniffsniff*

Is that a challenge from the resident Dominatrix I smell? Hmmm. I considered entering the Writer's Digest Short Story contest last year, but the story I wrote for it fizzled. I should've stuck to a genre I was comfortable with, and that story wanted to be chick-lit.

I don't even read chick-lit, so you can imagine how awful it was. :D Maybe I should do a horror/chick lit hybrid and submit it somewheres....

Food for thought.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I'm a strong proponent of entering contests that don't charge fees. I realize they do it to self-support, and I did spend some cash a few years ago on a wide variety, but I'd rather enter a contest that charges no fees for a variety of reasons.

Two such contests going on right now are listed on the Humor Forum -- Erma Bombeck and CoolStuff4Writers. Additionally, On the Premises does free contests all the time. You can subsribe by going here: [email protected] , or going to the website: www.OnThePremises.com

And these are just some options. There are many more, some listed on various AW forums, the Paying Markets forum in particular, some listed on Duotrope, etc.

slcboston

Pasture-ized
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We are open minded here. Whatever twiddles your knobs, so to speak.

Now...

Assume the position...:D

*eep*

I wonder which position would be more appropriate... this one:
:flag:

or this one:
:Hail:

Though I have to confess, a small part of me is now doing this:
:e2woo: :D

Kerr

I vant to bite you
Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the knobs.

And the twiddler.

:D

Ah...you took the words out of my mouth!

Okay! Seriously now, I'm still hacking at my little wolf girl and reading, reading, reading. I've got another chapter that will probably end up being used for fodder. I've covered detectives and a doctor, everything but the wolf girl. She doesn't talk yet, so it's kind of dragging for me. Next chapter will be more to my liking, straight from the head.

And another short that Jeanne was kind enough to look over for me. Thanks again Jeanne. Do you call that thing you wield a 'cat of nine tales'?

And, of course, I've put my 2 cents in as to what's in the basement. I wouldn't miss that for anything. So here's for you, Jeanne. I'm ready....

:e2moon:

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Ah...you took the words out of my mouth!

Okay! Seriously now, I'm still hacking at my little wolf girl and reading, reading, reading. I've got another chapter that will probably end up being used for fodder. I've covered detectives and a doctor, everything but the wolf girl. She doesn't talk yet, so it's kind of dragging for me. Next chapter will be more to my liking, straight from the head.

And another short that Jeanne was kind enough to look over for me. Thanks again Jeanne. Do you call that thing you wield a 'cat of nine tales'?

And, of course, I've put my 2 cents in as to what's in the basement. I wouldn't miss that for anything. So here's for you, Jeanne. I'm ready....

:e2moon:
We like it when they're eager!

Well done, and we are most pleased! (and we were happy to do the crit, too). Yes, this IS a cat-o-nine-tails for all those who tell the tales...so to speak...

:whip::whip::whip:
Excellent output!

Now...you know the drill...MORE! More, I say!

Pike

Chivalry ain't dead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't tell what's more exciting: hearing about the little wolf girl (Yay Kerr!) or all the knob twiddling? Both have me tingling.

Cranky, hit the contests! Submit to WD's Short Story or any other that suits you. It will bring you a sense of accomplishment and fortitude. It could also net you a winning place that not only feels like a million bucks but looks damned nice on a query letter!

Pike

Status
Not open for further replies.