Missed a phone call...

thedark

Weaving through the night.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Make a note on your calendar to send a follow-up email on.. say.. Tuesday, if you haven't heard. Then a note to call again on Thursday or Friday if you've heard nothing.

But I'm hoping for you that you hear yet today.

Cause... squee! Exciting!

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
I won't call. It's eating me up, but I won't. Good idea thedark! I'll put a note on my calendar. Still hoping to hear today. This weekend will be one long weekend if I don't. lol

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Still no word. Call me crazy, but I'm so tempted to try and call again, but I don't want to seem bothersome.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
It's Monday, so things are probably hectic right now. If the agent doesn't call back by late tomorrow morning, I think it's perfectly acceptable to do a follow-up call in the early afternoon.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support. Tuesday afternoon is my scheduled follow-up call. Although I'm hoping I don't have to wait until tomorrow.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Agents always seem to move a little bit outside of real time. During the first phone call with my agent, he wanted me to send him a synopsis for the next two books and said he would call the following week. But it took about two and a half (weeks) for him to get back to me.

Patience is definitely a virtue I could use more of. :p

Giant Baby

Oh, the humanity.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there! I know it's agony, but just think of it as practice for when you're out on submission! :D

Sending good thoughts.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
It sounds promising! Crossing my fingers for you.

Honestly, I would advise waiting a few days longer than tomorrow, which would be only 3 working days after your return call, yes? Also, I'd recommend against calling again. I think you can safely assume the agent got your message and will call you when he has the block of time to give you focused attention. An email nudge would be better, maybe toward the end of the week if you still haven't heard anything, offering a brief, polite and gentle reminder that you're available to talk whenever the agent is ready.

Agents get so busy. One unplanned situation can eat a whole day or more that they'd planned to use for other things -- like calling new authors and offering rep. If he was excited enough to call you the first time, he'll call again, and if he doesn't, would that be the kind of agent you want anyway? If you let the agent contact you on his own terms, you'll see how responsive he is overall. And that will give you realistic expectations for your working relationship, which is a priceless thing to know going in.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Reading this thread is like waiting for a birth, especially the breathe breathe part.

I have to agree that you should e-mail with good times to call rather than calling. Of course, I may be typing this too late. Do let us know if it's a girl or a boy.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the support. I may have good news tomorrow! Keeping fingers crossed.

Sapphire135

Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there! I second (and third) what some of the other posters have said about agents moving slowly. It is so hard not to keep a constant vigil by the phone when you are expecting a call like this, but try to distract yourself with other things as much as you can so that the time moves a little quicker. :)

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to thank all of you for your support!!!!! My fingernails are gone, but I finally spoke with the agent and I have an OFFER!!! So excited. I've already sent the nudge emails and I've heard back from another agent, who said she would get back to me by the deadline. So excited!!!

SQUEE!!!!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Waiting is probably best - but oh good grief, do come back and put us all out of our misery. This is worse than the HV submissions thread!

Fingers crossed!

PS: You may find yourself being all incoherent and unimpressive on the phone. Agents get used to that, I think. Don't beat yourself up. (I'm not an agent, but I'd be surprised if I'm wrong about that.)

Well done, you!! :partyguy:

Ramshackle

*scribbles*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badmenagerie.com
I just want to thank all of you for your support!!!!! My fingernails are gone, but I have an OFFER!!! So excited. I've already sent the nudge emails and I've heard back from another agent. So excited!!!

SQUEE!!!!

:partyguy:

Fantastic - congratulations!!!!

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa that's terrific! Now you have two agents on board.

Glad to hear such really great news!

Now go get a much-deserved manicure for those poor fingers! LOL

Only one. I meant to say that I finally talked to the agent, whose call I missed. And they offered! And a manicure is definitely in order. Thanks!

Last edited:

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you SO much everyone! This all seems surreal. But I can't stop smiling.

Last edited:

InkStainedWench

It's a dirty job, but...
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for sharing your story and the good news, LadyLex!