I Thought I'd Share my Story with my Fellow Writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EELawless

Registered
Reaction score
I’m new to the Absolute Write forums but have been visiting them for several years. Ever since I was 12-years-old, I’ve been freelancing and writing short stories, novels, and screenplays…you could say I’m a semi-professional writer. For years, however, I’ve been carrying a struggle on my shoulders. I thought it’d be nice to vent to like-minded people who’ve probably had the same frustrations. It might come off as sappy in some parts, but I want to share my story, nevertheless, and would like to hear about your experiences as well.

Five years ago, in 2008, I finished my first true novel. It was a gangster/thriller story about a group of vigilantes, and though it wasn’t the first novel I’d written, it was the first one I’d ever finished and fully rewritten. I enjoyed writing it, and while I mainly wrote it to see what I could do and where I could go with my talents, I was eager to get it published.

Thus, I began sending out query letters. I had never done so before, so I only sent out one-or-two letters a day. When the rejections started rolling in, though, I soon began sending out anywhere from five-to-ten queries a day, depending on who I could find. After almost a year of sending out queries, I received exactly 264 rejection letters…and those were merely the letters I had actually received. Only one partial was requested, but it was rejected the next day. The only people even remotely interested were vanity publishers, including one who wanted $8,000 to publish it. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t considered it.

I didn’t care, though, to be honest. Like I mentioned, I mainly write my first novel to see where I could go with it. I’d learned a lot in a year, and I wanted to go farther.

Soon, I began writing another novel. This one was a horror/science-fiction story revolving around a mad scientist. (I’m still very proud of it, and have considered redoing it.) Immediately, I began sending out queries, mostly to the agents I had reached out to with my first novel; but once again, the rejections started rolling in. To add insult to injury, my computer crashed one day and I lost the entire manuscript. Consequently, I rewrote the novel once more, and it turned out much better than the original draft. I was ecstatic, and my confidence boosted with the new manuscript. However, everything only went downhill from there.

It took four years before I gave up. From early 2009 to mid-2012, I worked on my second novel, constantly rewriting and editing it. Only three partials were ever requested, but they were shot down in flames. Before long, I began getting numerous rejection letters every single day. It was always the same…“Too violent.” “Good query, but not interested.” “Can’t market it.” “Not what I’m considering.” “Not right for me and my current needs.” There were some agents who actually insulted my writing. At that point, I thought there was something wrong with the actual writing portion, and so I rewrote the novel again…and rewrote it…and rewrote it…and rewrote it some more. But it did nothing but make it worse. I became so frantic with rewrites that the novel became disorganized, and soon, it was nothing but a jumbled, incomprehensible mess. Trying to make my story better actually had the opposite effect.

By the time I gave up on my novel four years later, I had garnered 843 rejection letters, which probably sounds ridiculous but is true. Around this time, I became exceptionally depressed and dejected. I almost completely gave up on writing. There were no clear signs or silver linings indicating that I should move forward…but I did anyways.

While my second novel was failing miserably last year, I began working on my third novel. I’ve finished it, and I can proudly say that it’s exceeded everything I’ve ever written before. Once again, it’s a horror/sci-fi novel, but for me personally, it’s like no other horror or sci-fi story I’ve ever read before. I’m extremely proud of it, more proud of anything else I’ve ever done, and I know I can go far with it. I started sending out queries last month, in early February. I’ve gotten only 69 rejections at this time of writing, but so far, three partials have been requested. One of them was rejected, but the other two are still being reviewed. It’s killing me, having to wait for a response, but I’m still trying to be optimistic, and am still sending out queries on a daily basis. Even agents who have rejected it have given me feedback and advice, which is extremely unusual for me. And at this point, even when I do get a rejection, I don’t take it for granted, and it doesn’t faze me whatsoever. I ask myself every day, “How much longer do I have to wait until someone notices me?” But even if it takes another five years, then so be it. I’m okay with that. If it means learning something new in exchange for my blood, sweat, and tears, then I suppose it’s perfectly alright.

To be truthful, storytelling is all I really have to rely on in my life. That might sound ridiculous to most people, but it truly does means that much to me. It’s one of the few things that will never turn its back on me, and will always give me confidence. Ever since I started writing, I’ve wandered from job-to-job and place-to-place, attempting to chase a dream the best I can. I don’t remember a day when I wasn’t lectured about “getting a real job,” and how making a living off “ghosts and monsters” isn’t how you “live in the real world.” When this happens, I just think about how Stephen King once threw “Carrie” in the garbage, but then his wife retrieved it and convinced him to continue writing. I’ve considered self-publishing, but also considering how I have no people-skills whatsoever, I’d rather be represented by an agent who can protect my interests, especially since I am still young. Besides, I’m determined to be discovered at this point and will not stop until I am. Even if my current novel fails, I’m going to keep trying…even if it kills me.

That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. I thought other writers out there, looking to be published, would like to know. Has anyone else experienced this, or is currently experiencing this? As mentioned, I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’d like to hear your experiences, and whether or not you succeeded.

Thanks for reading,
EE Lawless

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Have you tried publishers after the agent thing? Have you gotten betas for your work? There's other steps you can take to get your work published. There's plenty of good publishers out there that accept unagented submissions too.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yeah, I'll throw more questions at you along side Undercover.

Have you ever had your writing critiqued by other writers?
Have you ever had your query looked over?
Have you ever done research and queried the right agents? (Yeah, you'd be surprised how much this doesn't happen)

Has there ever been a single agent to review the full MS? (This is a big question. I'd think at least one would, and if not, there's something seriously wrong)

No offense, but it kinda just sounds like you're in the sink-hole trying to get published, rather than trying to write a story well.
A well-written story will be well-received no matter what.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The One problem I see is the incredibly low percentage of partial requests. Good queries very seldom get rejected, and many, many very good novels have trouble finding a home because the writer simply doesn't know how to write a good query.

It;s also smart to send the first three to five pages of your manuscript with the query. Great first pages can often save a terrible query.

If you aren't getting at least a thirty to forty percent request for partials or fulls, you have a query letter that needs a LOT of work. If you've sent out sixty-nine queries with only three requests for partials, your query letter needs a ton of work.

WriterTrek

Boldy Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much what Will said -- a lot of times you need a few extra sets of eyes on your work. Preferably ones who are willing to tell you what's wrong with it (or at least the parts that "don't work").

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That kind of persistence is an awesome thing. Good for you. But there are other things you can do besides constantly being rejected to improve your chances. Based on your stats, it sounds like maybe you could use some eyes on your query. Come hang out in QLH. It's great. You'll learn a ton critiquing and reading critiques of others' queries. Hang out in your genre on SYW. Crit and read crits of others' pages. Connect with a beta. Writing is a craft takes a ton more than perseverance in the face of constant rejection. Yes, it takes that, but you also have to work your ass off at the craft of it, too.

AW is a great place. Folks here are wonderful. I've learned a ton in the year I've been here.

JessH

Registered
Reaction score
I just joined AW, at the advice of an agent. I've swapped novels with two people, and they've provided some helpful insight, on just the first couple of chapters. I second spending time in QLH - there's a lot to learn just by perusing the posts. Once you get to 50, post your own.

Do you write short stories? That's something I do to pass the time between revising my current ms, and working on my second. It's helpful, and I'm still writing, so it takes my mind off the rejection letters I've received.

Will has some good advice! Don't give up the dream, just strive to improve upon it. Writer's conferences in your area are another option to try.

MockingBird

Just a fool with a Dream
Registered
Reaction score
I read your whole post. A few things...
-You said you've been freelance writing since you were 12? For who? How many writing gigs did you get?
- Sounds like you have a rounded estimate of a thousand rejection letters. You should take a step back and try to see what you're doing wrong before sending more query letters out there. I got 15 and went to find this forum and buying how to write books.
- It sounds like you just kept rewriting without editing your book. When you rewrite you're still writing. So you're liking making the same mistakes you made in your first draft. You should edit some before rewriting.
- You're too focus on one book at a time. Write several books while querying and when one just isn't cutting it try another.
- When you have that many rejections, you need to find some people to read your work and tell you what's wrong with it.

Personal statement: You can learn alot in this forum. I joined this forum just to find some people who like to write stories like me but found so much more. I'm just like you, story telling is all I can see myself doing(Even though people think writing should just be some hobby). I can't do it. For me, saying writing is just a hobby or should be--is like a husband saying his wife is just another woman. I suggest, you come here, ask questions and buy some how-to-write-books. I heard from a poster today that you can read all you want but if you don't know what to look for you'll never get any better. Buy how-to-books and see what works and keep writing.

ellewest

Registered
Reaction score
I hear your pain, but I second the person that said it sounded like you appear to be too focused on publishing.

I also get the impression that you don't react well to criticism - (eg. "There were some agents who actually insulted my writing" etc) which may be why you haven't sought a beta.

I only say this because I had a similar problem (as much as it shames me to admit it) where I was sending projects out to agents without having anyone look at them beforehand and I can see now that I was pretty much setting myself up for failure.

There are so many excuses people use for not getting betas, like:

- No one gets it (then do you really think readers will?)
- I know better than everyone else (then why invite readers at all?)
- Someone might steal ideas (pretty darn unlikely)

I think that excuses against seeking criticism (and I’m talking about myself here) are symptomatic of being overzealous in trying to protect your writing and, by extension, yourself while still seeking validation through a traditional publishing contract/ agent.

//lol, when writing becomes pathological.

Again, this isn’t directed at you personally as much as people who might read the thread and relate/seek help for their unhealthy relationship with ‘getting published.’ Lol ; )

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
And the only way you can ever find out if it's "well-written" is for it to be "well received".

Not unless the writer can't tell what good writing is.

How else do agents/editors tell what good writing is if it isn't already well-received? They know.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
How else do agents/editors tell what good writing is if it isn't already well-received?

Surely you're not suggesting that agents need to be convinced that other agents have already received the piece with approval, but somehow didn't accept it anyway?

They know.

They know if they like it. And accept it for representation. That's all that matters. And that's the only way the writer ever knows, for sure, that the submitted work is "good enough".

Otherwise, we're back into this Fantasy universe in which there are galaxies of "good stories" orbiting around that somehow or other never get published, but are still, somehow or other, by some definition alien to my dictionary, "good".

caw

AbbyBabble

abbybabble.blogspot.com
Registered
Reaction score
Website
abbygoldsmith.com
Has anyone else experienced this, or is currently experiencing this? As mentioned, I’m sure I’m not the only one. I’d like to hear your experiences, and whether or not you succeeded.
I'm with you, EE Lawless. Similar story, only I've been at it since the year 2000. I'm beyond frustrated.

I've had wonderful feedback from beta readers, and they keep urging me to self-publish. But I want to go the traditional route. Over the years, I've written a series, and I need to sell Book 1 in order to sell the rest. I've been unable to get an agent or editor to read beyond chapter 1. No matter how many query letters I write, no matter how many versions of chapter 1 I submit, no matter how many pro sales I make with short stories, no matter how many readers support me ... the publishing industry remains closed. It might be because I'm writing in a genre they've dismissed due to all the bad crap in it.

I don't know why people here are assuming that you disdain critical feedback. That's rather insulting. If it's true, then they have a point, but I don't see where you said that. It sounds like you actively seek feedback and you're trying to improve your craft.

Maybe we can beta read for each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.