Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Oh that's ok, yeah i think i found a reliable person to fix them, my boyfriends mom who has been asking to read them for a while (hopefully by the time she gets to the later ones i'll already be married to her son so she wont realize how batshit insane i am till its too late!) And i have one beta who is working on it right now.

OTWOV

is Learning to Fly: solo
Registered
Reaction score
haha brilliant plan. but for now I'm off to bed, car ride in the a.m. :)

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Keagerz! The Spreadsheet Lessons!

Parametric said:
I am now imparting to you the deepest, darkest secrets of the obsessive plotter.

The best part of a spreadsheet is that it can record anything you want. If you want to see whether your subplots all get equal screentime, you can use a spreadsheet. If you want to see whether you forgot to describe certain locations, you can use a spreadsheet. And so on.

This is roughly how I use spreadsheets, although they are, as I said, infinitely customisable.
The first column is for the parts of a three-act structure. Act one (introduction to the characters, the world and the story, inciting incident occurs, and things start going wrong); act one turning point (everything goes dramatically wrong leading to a crisis); act two (in trying to fix the previous crisis, the protagonist makes things worse); act two turning point (everything goes dramatically wrong leading to an even worse crisis); black moment (lowest possible moment at which all seems lost for the protagonist); act three (the protagonist is now moving inexorably toward a confrontation with the antagonist that seems impossible to win); climax (somehow the protagonist beats the antagonist); resolution (tying up of loose ends).
The second column is for chapters, or scenes, depending on how detailed you want to get. Each is assigned to the appropriate part of the structure. For example, if chapter twenty is the black moment, you move across from the black moment and enter chapter twenty. By this stage you can see approximately how many chapters are devoted to each act. If act one is thirty chapters long while acts two and three are both five chapters, you probably have too much setup in act one.
The third column is for the main plot. In our black moment, chapter twenty, the protagonist hits their lowest point and it seems impossible for them to continue. Let's say that they've, oops, accidentally nuked their home planet. That's what you enter across from chapter twenty. Here you're making sure that you have all the relevant parts of the structure. If you're missing an act two climax, which probably means the story is massively bogged down in the middle with nothing happening, you have nothing to put in the appropriate box. The function of the three-act structure is to remind you to (a) put in regular big dramatic climaxes, (b) keep upping the levels of drama and tension, and (c) keep lowering the apparent chance of the protagonist ever succeeding in their goal. This applies to protagonists who want to win the girl of their dreams (for example) as much as it does to protagonists who want to save the world using the MacGuffin, or whatever. The further the story progresses, the more hopeless it should seem.
Columns four through whatever are for subplots. This shows you whether your subplots are following the approximate shape of the dramatic structure. Subplots should rise and fall in tension roughly as the main plot does: as everything is going wrong in the main plot, so the subplots are going wrong too, amplifying the feeling of desperation.
That's basic spreadsheet plotting. You can see at a glance what main plot and subplots are present, how they each develop, whether there are dramatic crises in all the right place, etc.

The fun part of this spreadsheet is using it to fix your problems. Let's say you have major backstory issues. You think your backstory might be all bunched up in big exposition-heavy chapters. You can create an extra column for backstory, and go down the chapter list recording what backstory you mentioned in each chapter. If you have a bunch of blank boxes (no backstory in these chapters) followed by a huge one (tons of backstory in one chapter) you can see at a glance that the backstory needs to be spread out more evenly.

Or let's say you want to ensure that you're putting in all the necessary scenery description. You create a column for locations, and note down what location each scene or chapter takes place in, and how you described it. If you didn't describe a location, you have nothing to put in the box. The blank box reminds you that you missed out some scenery description. When you flesh out the scene with scenery description, you put that in the box.

Please use your new powers for good, not evil.

Yes, I have this saved in my bookmarks bar.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys. :)

Speaking of plotting, I'm keen to find out how JK Rowling does it, what with all the foreshadowing in Harry Potter.

Kyrie

Queen of Adverbs (unfortunately)
Registered
Reaction score
Okay. My house is being invaded by relatives this afternoon. D:

How're you?

Ivi942

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys. I'm invading my relatives instead. Thank god for phone internet.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I now have an idea for a werewolf book - thanks to the character arc of Neville Longbottom (the character is called Matthew after the actor!) and the song 'Animal' by Neon Trees. Amazing.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Hahah. I tend to do that. I have an idea based off the music video for The Story of Us, and I spent an hour trying to find the actor of Taylor's ex. I found out he was Caleb Grimm from Anthem Lights, and now thats my characters name.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm... I wonder how she plans the foreshadowing then.

Maybe I'll try the spreadsheet method if I write a series. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems a bit ... rigid.

ETA: I don't actually have a plot yet. This is what I have for the blurb so far in that section in my Random Plots notebook (BTW I LOVE OneNote):

Matthew has always dreamed about being a hero. And he's never had a chance to be one… until he comes across a girl being attacked by two werewolves and saves her. Now Matthew is caught up in the world of werewolves and the people determined to rid the world of them.

The girl is HALF-WEREWOLF.

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I hadn't seen that Rowling spreadsheet before. That's uncanny.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Dinner.

ETA: Actually, it is not dinner.

ETA: And now I have to go.

Last edited:

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Lisa, you can have columns for everything from the plots of the bad guy to your character's appearance. Spreadsheets are dead useful.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, stupid question: Can I see one of yours (MAAH would be best, seeing as I've read it), just an idea of what you can do?

ETA: Neville/Luna FTW (Watching videos on YouTube). :D

Last edited:

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
'Ello guys.

Took my friend from Norway back to the airport earlier, and now I'm trying to work on a heavy-in-emotion scene of Weeping. It's sort of kicking my ass.

Status
Not open for further replies.