Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
http://theadventurouswriter.com/blo...ream-of-being-a-freelance-writer-or-novelist/

I'd be interested to hear thoughts on these points. Do you agree they are signs a writer should, as the title puts it, give up on their dreams?

Aspiring writers – or successful freelance writers who are ready to move on – know it’s time to pursue different goals when they:
  • Have lost their joy and passion for writing their novel or pitching their magazine article ideas
  • Aren’t making as much of an effort
  • Are “talking the talk” but not “walking the walk"
  • Can’t overcome fear of failure, or fear of success
  • Spend more time surfing the internet and reading forum comments than writing or blogging
  • Are pursuing goals that aren’t in line with their beliefs, values, personality, and future plans
  • Realize that their writing goals – and the process of achieving their writing goals – doesn’t resonate with who they are
  • Dread the thought of pursuing or achieving the goal
  • Have lost their creativity
  • Resent the time and energy the goal takes
  • Can’t overcome their laziness or lack of self-discipline to write

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Reading that list I am reminded myself at 19, the first time I sat down and said I was going to write a novel, especially when it comes to "talking the talk", the lack of self-discipline, and resenting the time and energy the goal takes. But I outgrew those things, and I suspect other people could, as well.

I do agree, though, that some people seem to want to be writers but clearly hate everything about it, and that I don't get.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
...not necessarily. Most of those things are correctable with effort or a change in approach and attitude. And if a writer does so they can still succeed so long as the desire is there. The desire really does have to be there on some level or other though. No point doing something one isn't into and doesn't value.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Deciding whether you want to write or not overrides every item on that list.

I know plenty of people who talk the talk, though. Gonnabe writers, I call them, but any old excuse stops them.

No, none of them are yet published. I doubt they ever will be.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I think some of those (“talking the talk”, "goals that aren’t in line with their beliefs") are attitudes about writing that almost guarantee the would-be writer will never get much farther than maybe buying the accoutrements needed to look the part. Others may be only temporary conditions, but if not treated, could lead to permanent damage...

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
What I don't agree with is that anyone feeling those things on a regular basis really "dreams" of being a writer. Fantasize perhaps, but I see dreaming as something you hope to become.

I know people who are constantly saying they want to write but "don't have time." Mind you, I write two books a year and still work full-time, and freelance write. I also know these people's schedule. They have more time available than I do. They just don't want to use it to work. That's not a writer IMHO.

Reaction score
I think some of those (“talking the talk”, "goals that aren’t in line with their beliefs") are attitudes about writing that almost guarantee the would-be writer will never get much farther than maybe buying the accoutrements needed to look the part. Others may be only temporary conditions, but if not treated, could lead to permanent damage...
You are so right.

Every time I read threads like this, someone I know online springs to mind. Books, folders, pencils, pens, computers, desks, post-its, and a bag full of excuses why she never finishes anything.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
You are so right.

Every time I read threads like this, someone I know online springs to mind. Books, folders, pencils, pens, computers, desks, post-its, and a bag full of excuses why she never finishes anything.

I know someone in real life who claims that the only reason why he's never finished his masterpiece novel (after years of talking about it) is because he doesn't have the right kind of computer. He has a computer, mind you, just not the right kind. :)

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I know someone in real life who claims that the only reason why he's never finished his masterpiece novel (after years of talking about it) is because he doesn't have the right kind of computer. He has a computer, mind you, just not the right kind. :)

Oh my God. Please tell me you're joking.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score

What's the right kind of computer in his opinion? I'm just curious to know :tongue

Reaction score
One powered by thought, running on dreams, interpreter of fantasies and which churns out 6-figure cheques.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I was. Actually, the right kind of computer has changed over time. First it was a laptop -- he had a desktop computer but he felt like he couldn't finish the book unless he could write in coffee shops and whatnot. He finally got a laptop, but he hates the keyboard and finds it impossible to type on. So now I think he feels he needs a *different* laptop?

He makes lots of other excuses but this is the one I find most amusing.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Heh, thread title made me think you meant writing signs, as in signwriter. Anyways....

Yeah they're all reasonable warning signs, if you score higher than fifty percent then you're probably in the danger zone. :)

Whether this means you ought to give up writing is a tad presumptuous. People can change, improve, learn new skills....

-Derek

MissMacchiato

Bring on the Sweet, Sweet Coffee
Registered
Reaction score
im not sure what 'the talk' is, if I'm honest.

I would say that while this list MIGHT be a sign that writing isn't for you, these things might also just be a sign that you need a break to seriously re-evaluate your direction, goals, and dreams.

BrooklynLee

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
"The talk" is being able to talk like a writer -- spending a lot of time talking about your ideas for books, or your theories about writing, or critiquing other people's approach to writing, etc. without "the walk", which would mean actually writing regularly yourself.

Reaction score

jana13k

Yep. I can.
Registered
Reaction score
"The talk" is being able to talk like a writer -- spending a lot of time talking about your ideas for books, or your theories about writing, or critiquing other people's approach to writing, etc. without "the walk", which would mean actually writing regularly yourself.
This! Take someone I know who has been "writing" ten years but only completed one manuscript (8 years ago). Lots of talk - lots of character boards, etc. - no writing.

I would argue that people who fit most of the criteria on that list never STARTED writing, so how could they stop?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
About that "right" computer. It can be any computer. It can be a notebook and pen. All you need to do is to send me $1000, and I'll send you back an invocation to Nyarlathotep that will transform your writing gear into a magical idea-copy-money generator!

GUARANTEED TO WORK sometimes.

I say it's time for you to quit if you have to force yourself to write. If all your pleasure comes from the reward, none from the process, you're in the wrong line of work.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com
Wow, even I'm not that bad.

I do have the wrong type of computer though... ;)

Reaction score
I say it's time for you to quit if you have to force yourself to write. If all your pleasure comes from the reward, none from the process, you're in the wrong line of work.
I have to force myself to write some days. Should I quit?

You know it's weird. We live in a materialistic, rewards-based society, where the glittering prizes are held up as something to aspire to...yet we tell people they shouldn't want material rewards for their effort.

Doesn't make sense to me.

You're damn right I want money and rewards.

Status
Not open for further replies.