Copywrite question.

Nateskate

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recorded movie soundtracks for a future movie, instruments without vocals. I did every track with a motif XS, so I also performed the recording.

I plan to copywrite these for obvious reason. There's an option to copywrite a performance cd. I'm wondering however, because I've recorded 24 songs, if I can copywrite multiple songs on the same cd and how to go about that. I plan to copywrite two separate cds, or can I put them both on one dvd???

I don't plan to copywrite paper scores because it would be far more complicated, and frankly beyond my skill level.

jr7110

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I recorded movie soundtracks for a future movie, instruments without vocals. I did every track with a motif XS, so I also performed the recording.

I plan to copywrite these for obvious reason. There's an option to copywrite a performance cd. I'm wondering however, because I've recorded 24 songs, if I can copywrite multiple songs on the same cd and how to go about that. I plan to copywrite two separate cds, or can I put them both on one dvd???

I don't plan to copywrite paper scores because it would be far more complicated, and frankly beyond my skill level.

You have to copywrite the cds under one title ie, "Works of Nateskate Volume One" and "Works of Nateskate Volume Two". That way all of the music on those cds is copywritten as a "work" instead of you having to pay to copywrite each song indivually. I am a songwriter/recording artist member of ASCAP, where I also have my music publishing company and that is how I have always done it. I don't know about a dvd - you have to read the submission guidelines because I have never submitted a dvd. I have either submitted a cd or used the online submission option for single songs. You have to make sure you submit your request exactly as outlined in the submission guidelines or the copyright office will not accept the claim until it is corrected. If you have any questions, I have found that they are very helpful if you call them up and ask.