Mama Jude's Pep Talk

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
Really sorry about the R, Lucie. Still think you have a great attitude though, if that's any help. And great that you got some decent feedback. Mine are always just form.

Just keep swimming! :D
Z

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
How can rejection defeat me when I'm used to defying GRAVITY? Just wanted to share that I lost another 2% body fat. For me that's truly awesome since I'm 49 and have been working out hard for over 2 years. Most major weight loss is in my past.

Plus Ms Jackson's note was both respectful and to the point. I think I'll send a thank-you card. Just so grateful to agents/publishers who follow-up in a timely fashion--with feedback. (And I consider anything under a year to be "timely" at this point.)

Thanks for your support everyone. You know, this "Committee" could become sort of mysterious ... and epic.

Lucie

PS. muse, I wouldn't call her feedback positive as much as brute honesty. It certainly didn't glow. Oh well. I'm too far into the new book to go back into the old one at the moment so I'll just trunk it for a little while and pull it out when I hit the brakes on this paradox book.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That's really awesome, Wonderactivist. And even harsh feedback can be incredibly useful. I always wrote back a thank you if someone offered feedback of any sort.

I've just started running again, so I can sympathize with the weight loss plight. I gained twenty pounds when I came back to America (granted, I couldn't do kung fu for almost a year, which I'm sure didn't help), and I've been working to lose it and get back down to my healthy weight range. I haven't stepped on a scale, but I have a lot more stamina than I did even a couple of weeks ago, so I think that's a good thing.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How can rejection defeat me when I'm used to defying GRAVITY? Just wanted to share that I lost another 2% body fat. For me that's truly awesome since I'm 49 and have been working out hard for over 2 years. Most major weight loss is in my past.

Plus Ms Jackson's note was both respectful and to the point. I think I'll send a thank-you card. Just so grateful to agents/publishers who follow-up in a timely fashion--with feedback. (And I consider anything under a year to be "timely" at this point.)

Thanks for your support everyone. You know, this "Committee" could become sort of mysterious ... and epic.

Lucie

PS. muse, I wouldn't call her feedback positive as much as brute honesty. It certainly didn't glow. Oh well. I'm too far into the new book to go back into the old one at the moment so I'll just trunk it for a little while and pull it out when I hit the brakes on this paradox book.

Brute honesty can be positive (Well, once the sting wears off.;))

Congrats on the weight loss. Care to share your secret?

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry if I think FOTS is... well... off base.
So a friend is anxious to see your self-pub work? And he'll tell two people, and they'll tell two people? I've got a sneaking feeling that after about four people, nobody is going to give a hoot.
Your writing has already made somebody happy, and he hasn't even read it yet? Are you nuts!??! The only happiness your "writing" has provided is the promise (or titillation) of something.
But your hobby is writing. That's good. Keep it up.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Dennis. It's entirely possible I missed something, but are you in the right thread?

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
muse, the weight loss secret is no secret: 5 or 6 days a week at the gym, an hour on weight training days, 45 mins on cardio days. But I do recommend a book called Younger Next Year because my 25 year-old trainer honestly knows nothing about things like joint pain, lifting heavy to prevent osteoporosis, etc.

Dennis, howdy :hi:, but I agree: I wonder if that was for another thread? Nevertheless, in response I'll share that there is actually a brand-new NY Times bestselling author in my town--self-published. I'm so happy for her.

Her book is super-hot romance. Everyone who has read it tells me it isn't any literary great, just a hot story full of typos and misspellings. I mean, sometimes I think New York is totally off the mark on what readers want. They want a hot story and couldn't care less about technique. (I just care cause I'm a writer.) I'm taking her book to the writer's conference this week to read. And learn.

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
muse, the weight loss secret is no secret: 5 or 6 days a week at the gym, an hour on weight training days, 45 mins on cardio days. But I do recommend a book called Younger Next Year because my 25 year-old trainer honestly knows nothing about things like joint pain, lifting heavy to prevent osteoporosis, etc.

Exercise? :e2thud:

I was hoping you'd tell me it comprised of chocolate and beer.:D

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Exercise? :e2thud:

I was hoping you'd tell me it comprised of chocolate and beer.:D

@muse, I think we're supposed to have like a fricking bite of chocolate a day and have a beer on weekends. That's EXACTLY why I won't be losing much more weight.

Chocolate is an important food group. As a woman, a human, and an author, I WILL not give up a food group for vanity. Just look what happened to those people who died from Atkins. No way. I will stand up for my health and the welfare of humanity--which would otherwise have to deal with ME-sans-chocolate. (Not a pretty site).

How's that for WILLpower?

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Forget that. Just gimme some chocolate!

Congrats on the weight loss, wonder. I commend you for tolerating that young trainer. ;) I'm the girl at the gym who's sort of doing what others in the class are doing, but not quite, and instructors cannot peer pressure me. I'd rather not be in bad-pain later, thank you. Having said that, I believe my kickboxing workout from this weekend has burned enough calories for all of us (opening doors hurts today - why must we use arms for that?), so chocolate for everyone!

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
@muse, I think we're supposed to have like a fricking bite of chocolate a day and have a beer on weekends. That's EXACTLY why I won't be losing much more weight.

Chocolate is an important food group. As a woman, a human, and an author, I WILL not give up a food group for vanity. Just look what happened to those people who died from Atkins. No way. I will stand up for my health and the welfare of humanity--which would otherwise have to deal with ME-sans-chocolate. (Not a pretty site).

How's that for WILLpower?

:ROFL:

When it comes to chocolate resistance is futile.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Did some good work to-day - I'm hoping that it will lead to about 800 words tomorrow (in which case I'll post triumphantly in the May thread :hooray: ) But just for now, I'm off to walk around some terribly old Roman ruins.

*sigh*.

I love France.

Oh, PS: Chocolate is for people who can't handle brie. Just sayin' ;)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
OK, I came here to prop myself up a bit. My daughter has court this morning. Going for child support. Hope the other family doesn't cause a scene. I wished things would have worked out better with them, but we'll see. Custody is next week. Ugh...

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score

Or vegans who think cheese is icky. :tongue

OK, I came here to prop myself up a bit. My daughter has court this morning. Going for child support. Hope the other family doesn't cause a scene. I wished things would have worked out better with them, but we'll see. Custody is next week. Ugh...

Oh no! :( I'm so sorry. What an awful thing for your kiddo to go through. I hope and pray this works out as amicably as possible. :Hug2:

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
This is no fun. :Hug2:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Or vegans who think cheese is icky. :tongue

Vegans who think cheese is icky won't eat chocolate will they? They'll eat carob.

ugh

carob.

:censored:

Sleuth - I hope things work out well. Awful situation :(

muse

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Unless they like chocolate flavored brie.:D

Hope it all goes well, HS. Horrible situation. I had to take my ex to court for child support, ended up getting 5p a year!:rant:

Whatever happens, at least your daughter knows she has you by her side.:Hug2: