• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

One Body Press

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
I am looking at a very new Christian publisher. They have only sold 1 title released June 1st which I do find on B&N.com (listed as shipping within 24 hours) and on Amazon (listed as 'sold out' currently).

They are a traditional publisher. No fees to their authors and they do pay royalties. They cover all costs of publication and distribution. They distribute through Ingram and are working on distribution through Baker & Taylor. They set up book signings and attempt to get the author's book reviewed by author's local newspaper.

I know the biggest drawback of a new publisher is obviously the lack of a track record. Also, I can't find anything (pro or con) about them and they aren't listed on the Bewares board. Is there a benefit though to signing with a new publisher? Any advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited:

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by they've "sold" one title. Publishers generally BUY books.

Do they place books in any stores or are all sales done through on-line channels? What's their name?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A small publisher with one book released (when?) is generally a self-publisher--ergo they deliver little more, and possibly somewhat less, than you could do on your own.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is the author of their one-and-only title also the owner of the publishing company?

Have you seen this book available for purchase in the places where you and your friends would normally buy books of this genre?

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
Oops, my fault .. it is way too late here .. they have published one title. (Looking at too many 'agent' posts lately!! :))

One Body Press is their name. I don't know if they have their titles in stores yet or just online; I plan to visit Lifeway tomorrow to see if their title is there. Their 2nd release is set for the end of the summer.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
The above comments pretty much say it all. However, I think we could all be more helpful if you decided to let us know who the publisher is. There's a wealth of knowledge to be found on these boards when presented with the proper info.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
Is the author of their one-and-only title also the owner of the publishing company?

No, it is completely different although I suppose it could be a pen name.

scope

Commonsensical Maverick
Registered
Reaction score
I posted while you were posting. I can't find anything on Google. I'll try a bunch of other info sources and will let you know if I find anything.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
I posted while you were posting. I can't find anything on Google. I'll try a bunch of other info sources and will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks!

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Q: What kind of Royalties do you give?

R: Royalties are negotiated on a per contract basis. We cannot disclose the amount of royalties paid from one author to the next, but we do go by the industry average. Our royalties are paid on the gross price vice net price of the book (ie, royalties are calculated from the retail price of the book).

Not a good sign when they don't have a standard royalty rate.

MickRooney

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.theindependentpublishingmagazine.com
Q: What kind of Royalties do you give?

R: Royalties are negotiated on a per contract basis. We cannot disclose the amount of royalties paid from one author to the next, but we do go by the industry average. Our royalties are paid on the gross price vice net price of the book (ie, royalties are calculated from the retail price of the book).

What the f*** is 'gross price vice net price of the book'!!

It's either gross or net. If royalties are calculated on the retail price, then it should be enough for a publisher simply to state that, indicating the specific percentage given.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher that negotiates royalty rates. Advances, sure. Number of free copies, yes. But the actual royalty rate? Weird.

And while not well expressed, at least they would be giving those royalties based on the retail price of the book and not the price the vendor paid.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
What the f*** is 'gross price vice net price of the book'!!

It's either gross or net. If royalties are calculated on the retail price, then it should be enough for a publisher simply to state that, indicating the specific percentage given.

I think they mean 'vs' instead of 'vice'...that is, they were making a comparison of what they do (retail price) vs an alternative (net). The parenthetical sentence following clarifies that it's retail price.

Round Two

Behind the door of a small house.
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher that negotiates royalty rates. Advances, sure. Number of free copies, yes. But the actual royalty rate? Weird.

I've never known that to be uncommon. Royalty rates, like advances, subsidiary rights, author copies, are all part of the moving machinery of a book contract. Some authors take lower advances in exchange for a higher royalty rate, electing to get paid more, faster, on the back end.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I think they mean 'vs' instead of 'vice'...
Using vice instead of vs or versus is very common in the military. Always sounded wrong to me, but there it's standard.

Most dictionaries show "instead, in place of" as a third or fourth subsidiary meaning for vice, so it's correct even if it sounds a bit jargony. Someone who knows law better than I could probably say if it's standard legalese.

This aside has been brought to you by Conan the Grammarian.

priceless1

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.behlerpublications.com
They distribute through Ingram and are working on distribution through Baker & Taylor. They set up book signings and attempt to get the author's book reviewed by author's local newspaper.
Grace, this is warehouse distribution. Having this arrangement only means that the books are listed in their database so bookstores or libraries can easily place an order. This does not get books into the bookstores.

For that, most indie presses establish relationships with distributors like IPG, Consortium, NBN, Partners - folks who have sales teams who actively pitch their catalog to genre buyers. That is what gets books on the shelves.

gracemichael

wondering ...
Registered
Reaction score
Grace, this is warehouse distribution. Having this arrangement only means that the books are listed in their database so bookstores or libraries can easily place an order. This does not get books into the bookstores.

Their website mentions that their first title will be in bookstores in July. Is there a way to check to see if this is true short of going to all the Christian bookstores in town?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
If they get a distributor and not just a wholesaler, one could trust they'll have physical stock on shelves somewhere -- although in how many stores would still be the question, given the nature of POD.

Founder Todd Uebele is AW member kappapi99 (call for subs to OBP here). No publishing experience beyond Lulu.

kappapi99

Registered
Reaction score
I am the owner of One Body Press. We have two authors currently, and have just received a proposal from a third. We are BRAND NEW, thus the lack of information out on the net.

The decision not to post royalty rates on our website was mine. My partner disagreed, but I personally, I feel the contract between the author and our company is private.

If you disagree, that's fine. We have just started this venture, so I would ask that you do not judge us prematurely. As was stated in the OP, we handle all the costs of printing and distribution. Yes, we do get books into brick and mortar stores.

KP

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
How do you get them in stores?