OMG A real, grown-up traveling to the event to cover it assignment!

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
So, I write press releases for this horse news service, and they are paying a portion of my travel expenses and getting me press credentials to go to the Dressage and Show Jumping World Cup Finals in Las Vegas in exchange for updates. OK, not quite the same as all expenses paid plus salary, but that's all right, I'm pretty happy because I've never been and didn't think I'd get to!

So, first of all, Yay! I feel like a grown-up writer!

Secondly...whoa. What can I expect in the press room? Do I have to get one of those hats with a card in the brim that says "PRESS"? Have you ever done something like this?

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't have a clue, but it sounds like fun. Yay, you!

MM

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Ooooo, I'm impressed. I think the hat is optional! I'm just a local stringer, so I don't know what it's like at an event.

Dress professional and wear horsey boots! But I'm sure you know that one! I was in a Mounted Girl Scout troop as a teen, and one of memories branded into my ween brain is when the troop had a barn fire. One of the local TV reporterettes came out to our ranch in a leather skirt and heels. We were all snickering behind her back at her stupid shoes.

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
Woo hoo, that is totally awesome! As a fellow horse person, I know how exciting it will be to see that jumping up close and personal.

I've never covered a horsey event, but when I did a Disney World media event they made us wear press credentials around our necks at all times (some of the areas were restricted access). Other than that, the dress was thankfully jeans since they kept us running around like maniacs at all times. I'm sure a horsey event will be relatively casual too.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Woo-Hoo! That's great news.

And yes, the hat is absolutely required. If you don't wear one, you will be the only one in the press room without one. ;)

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! I've done press for a couple of places, but informally so far. No fun badges. :(

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to report that I'm having a FABULOUS time! This is big-time stuff...I keep expecting them to figure out I'm not a real reporter and kick me out. *snicker*

I mean, I AM writing stories for an equestrian news service, but some of these people are, like, serious big time stuff. Giant lenses. Haggard looks. Some of them traveled from around the world. Crazy, man. OK, I need to go write my story now!

Scriptissima

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy the event. I've covered world cup events for six years now and if it hadn't interfered with having to go home to good old Europe for my mom's birthday I would have actually been there in Las Vegas with you. Missed a chance to say "hello" in person, I guess. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a quick heads up, letting you know that none of the equestrian writers are half-way as important as they think they are - I should know, because I know 'em all. ;-)

Say "hi" to "my" German riders over there. Go Isabell, Meredith and Ludger! Oh, and the others, too. :))

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Enjoy the event. I've covered world cup events for six years now and if it hadn't interfered with having to go home to good old Europe for my mom's birthday I would have actually been there in Las Vegas with you. Missed a chance to say "hello" in person, I guess. :)

Anyway, I just wanted to give you a quick heads up, letting you know that none of the equestrian writers are half-way as important as they think they are - I should know, because I know 'em all. ;-)

Say "hi" to "my" German riders over there. Go Isabell, Meredith and Ludger! Oh, and the others, too. :))

Aw, sorry to miss you! I see what you mean...I'm definitely getting the "I'm really important" vibe from some of these people! *snicker*

twnkltoz

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd show you what the press room of a world-class equestrian competition looks like:

I'm having a great time and learning a lot!