The Fellowship Cafe

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Calla, I promise I read your whole post, but what I got most of it was, you have brownies at your book signings? Let me know when the next one is. I always show up for brownies!

and, of course, to promote your book and all that :D

I do agree with you on the commercial publishing. I may never be good enough or have the right contacts to get published, but that's still the way I want to do it. If I never get published, I did write a picture book for my children a couple years ago about our trip to adopt my daughter, that I might try and self-publish.

JulieBeth

Registered
Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Christian writers! If any of you have a Christian blog, let me know, I'd like to check it out! :)

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Calla, I promise I read your whole post, but what I got most of it was, you have brownies at your book signings? Let me know when the next one is. I always show up for brownies!

and, of course, to promote your book and all that :D

I do agree with you on the commercial publishing. I may never be good enough or have the right contacts to get published, but that's still the way I want to do it. If I never get published, I did write a picture book for my children a couple years ago about our trip to adopt my daughter, that I might try and self-publish.

The brownies are much more attractive than this old broad, let me assure you. :D

Also, let me also relieve you of a slight misconception: I have ZERO contacts in the publishing world. I sent a "why not" query + 1 chapter to an agent whose bio made him sound like he might be interested in what I write. That was how this started. I'm simply a Band Mom in western NYS, and trust me, the only time the world hears about this place is when we get 8 feet of snow dumped on us overnight.

You need a book that an agent HAS to want more of--and that agent needs to be someone who knows the market and how to sell your book into it.

Sounds so simple... It was a long road.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Christian writers! If any of you have a Christian blog, let me know, I'd like to check it out! :)

Welcome! A blog? :chair I'm on a group mystery blog once a month and sometimes that's more than I cna deal with.

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
I'm simply a Band Mom in western NYS,

Hey, band parent here too! I never knew how much fun going to marching band competitions would be until my oldest joined the high school marching band. This fall, we'll have a senior and a freshman in the band. Very exhausting, but very fun!

Welcome, Julie!

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
\ / TODAY'S VERSE from HEARTLIGHT -- http://www.heartlight.org/
--\/------------------------------------------------------------------

March 6, 2011

VERSE:
[The Lord said,] My righteousness draws near speedily, my salvation is on the way, and my arm will bring justice to the nations. The islands will look to me and wait in hope for my arm.
-- Isaiah 51:5

THOUGHT:
God's promises stand through the ages. He has fulfilled them in many different ways. He has punished evil nations, he has redeemed Israel according to his promises, and he has sent Jesus as Savior and redeemer. But most importantly of all, Jesus stands at the edge of history waiting to return and bring full redemption for God's people and salvation for those everywhere who long for his return.

Kersten

Registered
Reaction score
BTW, Kersten, I saw your book at the Bflo and Erie Co. Central Library this week. Very nice! Congrats.

Thanks for letting me know, Lily! I always love to hear about sightings of my book in the wild. :)

Kersten

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Eliza, you're probably too young to remember the classic Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah. (Yes, I'm an old broad.) In it, every time God is about to speak to Noah, Cosby said "Ding!" and then in a deeeeeep voice, "NOAH."

Ready:

"Ding"

(pretend my voice is deep here)

"Eliza. Go forth and outline."

:D

Srsly. Once I started to outline my books, I knew I'd nevre go back. Try Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake method (Google his name and Snowflake). the free version gives you the overview, which may be just what you need to corral your book.

ElizaFaith13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
girlgamersunite.blogspot.com
Eliza, you're probably too young to remember the classic Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah. (Yes, I'm an old broad.) In it, every time God is about to speak to Noah, Cosby said "Ding!" and then in a deeeeeep voice, "NOAH."

Ready:

"Ding"

(pretend my voice is deep here)

"Eliza. Go forth and outline."

:D

Srsly. Once I started to outline my books, I knew I'd nevre go back. Try Randy Ingermanson's Snowflake method (Google his name and Snowflake). the free version gives you the overview, which may be just what you need to corral your book.

My son's name is Noah :)

The book is done, and being queried. The problem, and confsuion, is all the conflicting advice (including some from a literary assistant). Now I have multiple versions of the query/first five pages and three different titles. My head is a mess. All the advice is good, but I know God's would be the best...if I could only figure out what that was.

Kersten

Registered
Reaction score
My son's name is Noah :)

The book is done, and being queried. The problem, and confsuion, is all the conflicting advice (including some from a literary assistant). Now I have multiple versions of the query/first five pages and three different titles. My head is a mess. All the advice is good, but I know God's would be the best...if I could only figure out what that was.

I'll be praying for you, Eliza. Time to stop listening to all the advice and trust the peace God puts in your heart. Choose the one *you* like best.

Kersten

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Ah. I see. Regarding conflicting advice, this is what's worked for me: Catalogue all the advice (in your head :)). Put the one-offs aside (the kind where one person says your plot is too slow, and another says it's too rushed). That's more of a personal preference.

All the advice that's consistent (MC is flat, for example, or too much backstory), line it up and compare it with the pages that you sent out. If/when you see a pattern to your book and the advice, that's probably what needs adjusting.

Never ditch your current file! Make an alt and go to town. :)

*disclaimer*
I am not and have never pretended to be the voice of God in this or any other situation.

ETA: Aaand... there you have it! Conflicting advice in two simultaneous posts. :roll: Isn't this a crazy business?

David Poellot

Registered
Reaction score
Eliza, you're probably too young to remember the classic Bill Cosby comedy routine about Noah. (Yes, I'm an old broad.)

Ok, I'm 42, and I don't think that's at all old, and I remember that routine. I even saw the Cos during his Himself tour.:D

CACTUSWENDY

An old, sappy, and happy one.
Kind Benefactor
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I have been a bit hesitant to write in here. You all are taking/being used to write from the, for lack of a better term, the Godly perspective. That is cool. I asked God to let me write a book that would make some kind of impact. What He has done with me is, however strange, is had me do more of a C.S.Lewis type story.

Mine is about demons and their methods of operations done from a humor/dark side. It will not make it to the Christian markets. It's meant to give some insight on how the devil works in those that don't have any foundation in the things of God.

Where it finally ends I have no idea. It is an ongoing tale of everyday happenings of a demon from the Greedy clan. What started as 100 flash stories has melded into a 'tale'. Not a story with like a start...middle...end. Just episodes of their work.

BeetleJucie/Third Rock from the Sun/The Librarian type. It's been fun putting it together. I don't plan on ever getting it published other than on my blog. It has no ending and no doubt never will. (There is always talk of the end times)

I have about 6 other stories that have only a couple of pages each. He keeps bringing me back to this story. Sigh. I'm glad it is at least fun to write.

jdmccay

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my second post (my first one was in the Tate section). I'm a newb, and I've been enjoying all the posts. This forum is so informative, and what seems to be rather can't-we-all-just-get-along-ish.

I have two WIP, and both are of the Christian variety. The one I'm most excited about is a YA about a girl named Mac that is "called out" by God to fight demons. It's a little bit of SciFi and a little bit Fantasy.

Anyway, I'm glad I found AW and hope to make some friends and build some long term relationships. :)

mac

jdmccay

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Eliza and Semmie. This is the first writing forum that didn't make me feel like I needed a PH.D. in creative writing.