Term for the idea of science and religion coexisting

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Is there a specific term for such a concept? A Google search has come up with pages where people argue for the idea that science and religion/God can coexist, but I can't find a specific word for this concept.

If one doesn't exist, is there a historical saint that advocated such a belief or was involved in a science of some sort?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I guess it depends on what model of coexistence you mean? They obviously both exist, the debate is on how they should interact. Secularism and theocracy being the main options.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
You might try checking out The Biologos Foundation. Wiki
The BioLogos Foundation is a Christian advocacy group established by Francis Collins in 2007. BioLogos aims to contribute to the discussion on the relationship between science and religion and emphasize a compatibility between science and Christian faith.

Website

You might be looking for the term "theistic evolution," which Biologos espouses. I like the idea, myself. The Bible was never meant to be a science book (said the husband of an evangelical pastor).

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
I guess it depends on what model of coexistence you mean? They obviously both exist, the debate is on how they should interact. Secularism and theocracy being the main options.

I mean, like, the idea that both are equally true - basically, that God is the ultimate scientist.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
You might try checking out The Biologos Foundation. Wiki

Website

You might be looking for the term "theistic evolution," which Biologos espouses. I like the idea, myself. The Bible was never meant to be a science book (said the husband of an evangelical pastor).

That's certainly interesting, and it'll give me some ideas to use in one of my series (in which I've already mentioned the concept of theistic evolution, albeit not by name). I have a secret society in my story, and so far it lacks a name. It's definitely old, so I'll have to look through Wikipedia's article to find a sufficiently old proponent of the idea that the society can be named after. In my story, though, the religious component is not at all Christian, so naming it after a saint or priest or someone similar would be inaccurate.

Thanks! :)

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
Keep in mind that it's actually the idea that religion and science cannot coexist which is novel, recent and unusual — in most places and through most of human history, there is little evidence of systemic conflict between religion and science — although popular representations of the past nowadays tend to be made within the religion-science conflict prism, but these representations are generally strongly biased and inaccurate, and do not reflect the actual attitude of religion toward science that prevailed in past periods.

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Random thoughts

Make it up. I "think" most of early scientific endeavor was indeed financed by the Church. It was for their own reasons, such as control, in my opinion.

Is your story set in modern times, but started long ago? If they are secret, they just need a name among themselves or something they use as a front. It depends on how much they interact with others. Suggestions:

Descendants of Bacon (or whoever the founder was)
Society for Theological Innovation
Philosophers of Analytical Logic

or if the front is a long lasting corporation or foundation that provides the bulk of their funding, it could be anything.

The Foundation for Scientific Theologia

Maybe something will spark. HTH

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I never encountered the idea that they were in conflict until after I moved to the US. In the absence of fundamentalist Biblical literalism, they are not difficult to reconcile. I personally favor Gould's argument of non-overlapping magisteria.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You might also want to read up on Gnosticism, especially aspects of dualism. I think there's enough wiggle-room in the history that you could make it predate Christianity and take the stance that the current belief that Gnosticism is a Christian sect was just early church propagandizing.

Mark Moore

Banned
Reaction score
Is your story set in modern times, but started long ago? If they are secret, they just need a name among themselves or something they use as a front. It depends on how much they interact with others.

The main story is set in modern times, but there might occasionally be glimpses of the past. It's set in a vaguely Lovecraftian (though probably more accurately Derlethian) universe. Without giving too much away, some ancient gods and other nasties are about to break out of an ancient prison, and this society has been anticipating this and trying to develop ways to defeat these entities. While the main defense will be three magical girls, the society is developing various tech, including guns, bombs, and mecha, to try to fight these things as well. This R&D would have to be done through various connected organizations for ostensibly legit purposes (military use, a new type of sport, etc.) in order to maintain secrecy. This use of science as a way to kill demons is where the religion/science mesh comes in.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
"Normal"? Science and religion have only rarely come into overt conflict, and even more rarely has the conflict persisted for any length of time. Throughout most of history, in most societies where science and religion are even identifiable as separate things, they have been closely allied and often mutually supportive. There's nothing necessarily incompatible between them.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Common sense?

Seriously. The conflict between the two seems to have harmed both sides. IMO, of course.

TheNighSwan

Banned
Reaction score
This is less a matter of opinion and more a matter of consensus among mainstream historians really —you'll find very few serious scholars (if any) that still consider the "conflict thesis" valid.

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Until a few hundred years ago Philosophy included both religion and the sciences.

That's a very good point.

It occurs to me, though, that a few hundred years ago religion was the only avenue to many answers that science has now explained.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
It occurs to me, though, that a few hundred years ago religion was the only avenue to many answers that science has now explained.

That was pre-enlightenment. A1fter the Enlightenment everything changed, but the Enlightenment era coincided with the division of Philosophy into the Arts and the Sciences.

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
Try 'Non-overlapping Magisteria.' Stephen Jay Gould, the famous scientist/philosopher/lifelong-Yankee-fan, wrote a great column about this idea. You can read it here.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Steven (Stephen?) Jay Gould wrote a wonderful essay on this for Natural History magazine some time ago. Perhaps you can find it somewhere and see what terms he used.

Cath

The mean one
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.cathsmith.net
Remember to respect that other people may have views or beliefs that contradict your own, folks. Many people live happily with both science and religion.

The OP asked if there was an appropriate term used to describe this. If you can't provide a factual answer, please don't reply at all.