New to kobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
I hope I'm in the right place to ask about this.
I just put two books out on Kobo, but if I go to Kobo books and look in my category I can't find them.
I understand they don't appear in the new releases. I guess that's for established authors who sell well, but that they don't appear in the category at all... Unless someome knows my name or knows the exact titles of the books, they'll never see them.
Even if you start to type out the title, it won't suggest it. You really have to write the entire title.

Is this how it also is with Amazon and the others?

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
In my limited experience with Kobo, it does seem like my book is hard to find, other than searching by the exact title. Rest assured that Amazon is different.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Do you know if it's a matter of sales. Like once I've sold X amount I'll actually show up somewhere.
I sent them an email asking about this, but never got a response.
Thanks... I'll look into Amazon... and others.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Neither my author name or book auto-complete. Given the number of books, I doubt anyone would find it by browsing. But that isn't surprising. Kobo wants to make money, so they're going to promote books that sell well, or they hope will sell well. They'll have yours in the database on the off chance someone wants it, but whether you sell or not isn't really of interest to them.

What you can do is send people directly to the buy pages. The pictures in your signature could be links.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Polenth. While I understand their point to a certain degree, it is a bit disappointing.
I'll try to put the link. Another disavantage, I'm not all that tech savvy and just getting the covers on there was an accomplishment. :)

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again for the suggestion, Polenth.
Making the actual book cover the link is a little beyond me, but at least I was able to put the link...

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
If it helps, over 95% of my sales last month were from Amazon, and none from Kobo. I don't know if there's a cause and effect relationship there, but I don't pay much attention to channels other than Amazon. However, I know other writers who seem to do okay on Kobo.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
dianeP, I just checked my Kobo - there are 37,925 items in your category Contemporary Romance. It won't let me sort by author name - choices are
* Best Sellers
* Most Popular (what's the diff between that and best sellers?)
* What's New

So I can't tell if yours are in that category or not. According to the books blurbs, they are.

dianeP

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah,romance contemporary. 37, 925 items...? Wow. I thought there would be a few hundred, maybe thousands, but 37,000?
You can't sort by author name, but you can search... of course you have to know exactly what you're searching for.
Thanks, I'm really going to have to look into Amazon. I was a little reluctant to go with them...

Status
Not open for further replies.