Not open for further replies.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Always, Komnena. I aim for 240 minutes of exercise a week, though I often manage only 180. Still, I believe it's better to do 30 than zero, though it's well short of my goal.

Maryn, who did 30 this morning with a snow shovel

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like you have a good prospect of having a white Christmas, Maryn. I kind of hope we don't. We'll be traveling and if the weather is really bad we might have to delay Christmas.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Since where I live there's always a real winter, the cities, counties, state, and plenty of private individuals own plows, and the roads are usually drivable within a half-day of any significant snowfall.

Although today I was behind a guy who had only brushed off his windshield, and all this snow was blowing back from his roof and trunk, nearly blinding me. Not to mention that his brake lights were completely covered.

Maryn, spoiled by having a garage

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Don't you fret, Rich. Maybe your lawyer can get you garage visitation rights.

Meanwhile, you can come visit my garage any time you feel the need. Hell, I'll even let you inside and open a bottle of wine, how's that?

Maryn, perfect hostess

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I know. We actually park our cars in our garage. I am amazed at how many neighbors we have that have a two car garage and park on the street or driveway. HELLO!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what the going rate for editing is?
I have a chart thing I've shared many times, elsewhere. Let me find it.

[Sound of receding footsteps.]

Ah, here it is.

http://www.the-efa.org/res/rates.html listed these rates in 2007. The chart's tabs won't work here, but you can probably figure it out.

Common Rates for Editorial Services

Common rates reported to us by our members fall within the ranges indicated below. They should be used only as a rough guideline; rates vary considerably depending on the nature of the work, the time frame of the assignment, the degree of special expertise required, and other factors. The industry standard for a page is 250 words.

Type of Work ................Estimated Pace.......... Range of Fees
Copyediting, basic ........5-10 ms pages/hour.. $20-35/hour
Copyediting, heavy .......2-5 ms pages/hour.... $25-50/hour
Developmental editing...1-5 pages/hour.......... $32-60/hour
Proofreading .................3-10 ms pages/hour.. $20-35/hour
Writing ..........................1-3 ms pages/hour .....$40-125/hour, $50-110/book page

Maryn, who's already shoveled twice

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In other news, good morning, everybody. Bad night here, but this time it's not my fault. Twice during the night we were awakened by private snow plow operators, whose trucks make a warning honk or beep when they back up. Such safety features sound like a real good idea, but at 4:00 a.m. I was not a fan. The newspaper delivery at 4:45 wasn't noisy, but he does play his radio and the headlights lit up the room. Another plow truck started at 5:30, which is when I finally got up.

But hey, I've already had about 45 minutes of exercise, so that's a plus. Am I thin yet?

Maryn, just asking

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I miss snow.

I know you're not exactly having a blast with it Maryn, but I do miss it. Even the pain part of it. The problem with snow out here, is there is always a couple inches of ice under it. I miss Colorado snow. *sigh*

I got my cards sent out yesterday (most of 'em, didn't have address for a few people). I only know about half the people I send cards to, the rest are either old friends of Hub's or his family whom I've never met. Now I've got to bake cookies and make chocolate covered pretzels and fudge so I can take goodie plates to the neighbors (don't know half of them either, even though we lived here for almost 6 yrs).

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like snow pretty much, actually. Apparently I also like to complain.

Although if we had Colorado-level snow, I might not be such a fan. We're usually under 100 inches for the season.

We're going to have a cold day today, but I have plans to venture forth nevertheless. My shopping trips are getting weird (a store catering to marching bands, a brewery), and I still don't have enough for my husband, who never did provide any list or suggestion other than good music I don't already have. Yeah, thanks a lot, babe.

Maryn, proving she likes to complain

StoryG27

Miss Behave
Registered
Reaction score
I remember one time we had five feet of snow fall over night. It was crazy! We were snowed in. It was soooo much fun. The kids were little and could walk right on top of the snow, we sank and had to muscle our way through. But we all had a blast.

Hubby and I don't buy gifts for each other (thank goodness). The kids aren't getting much either, and I've already got all the gifts I'm going to send shipped off. The only person I really have left to buy for is my mom. She had been wanting an electric blanket to keep with her in her living room so she could save on the heat bill. I bought one for her, went to her house the other day and saw she bought one for herself. So I returned my "I thought it was perfect" gift and now am still lost on what to buy for her.

And when I have to shop, I ALWAYS complain. I hate shopping. I hate crowds. And people in general annoy me.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's one reason I did the shopping where there were sure to be crowds first. I don't expect the marching band store will be jammed.

I got shampoo in my eye for the first time in years. Man, that burns, and now it's all red and weepy, for the last half hour or so. I tried some Visine, which made it burn all over again. What fun!

Maryn, not really winking at everybody

Status
Not open for further replies.