Talk about the kidlit you're reading!

t0dd

Registered
Reaction score
Aren't the Oz books wonderful? I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't know there was more than The Wizard of Oz until I got a Kindle and discovered them all in the free books. We have had great fun reading them with our daughter, too.

I got most of Baum's Oz books (including "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" itself) as a boy (maybe around six or so) as a present from my grandparents, and enjoyed them. Recently I've rediscovered them and had fun finding bits that I'd almost forgotten, such as a delightful piece of wordplay in one of the books: Dorothy is visiting the royal palace of Ev (a kind of sister-kingdom to Oz) and finds a notice at its entrance that all visitors need to go to the left wing. Her guide tells her that the left wing is really the right wing; the palace used to have three wings, but two were torn down, and only the right wing remains - hence, it's also the left wing in the sense of "the only wing left". (The misleading instructions were devised by the ruler to cut down on the number of unwanted visitors.)

I find it particularly enjoyable comparing "The Wonderful Wizard of Oz" to the movie version and noting the differences. (How many people know, I wonder, that the Tin Woodman was originally a human woodcutter, and became the more familiar tin figure thanks to the Wicked Witch of the East - in the time before Dorothy's house landed on her - putting a curse on his axe so that it kept turning on him and cutting off body parts, which he had replaced with tin?)

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Mostly True Story of Jack? Or The Apothecary? I wanted to give them a go, but wanted to hear other AWer's opinions first.

Morrell

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the Baum books as a kid. My mom was in charge of organizing a library for our church's new grade school. She got donations and went to book fairs, and managed to fill the library with books ... including every Oz book there was! I couldn't wait to go to church each week so I could borrow a new one.

Now I've moved on to Gregory Maguire. :)

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone read The Mostly True Story of Jack? Or The Apothecary? I wanted to give them a go, but wanted to hear other AWer's opinions first.

The Mostly True Story of Jack is insanely good. It's a really good modern take on traditional fairy stories--much different than most urban fantasy and kid fantasy stuff. The writing is great and the mythology stuff is very strong.

I just finished reading Flour Babies by Anne Fine. Overall a very funny and thoughtful book about a class of juvenile deliquent types forced to carry around flour-sack babies as an exercise in education-based contraception. My only nitpick is that as an English author her American characters at an American school seemed entirely 100% English. Also, this book is in the running for Most Alarming Cover Of An Otherwise Perfectly Fine Book: http://ia700801.us.archive.org/zipv...olcovers18/olcovers18-L.zip&file=188763-L.jpg
Also while I was looking for this cover, I discovered it has yet another even more appalling cover: http://www.cygnetbooks.co.uk/shop_image/product/000291.jpg Why, early nineties book cover designers, whyyyyyyyy? I don't know which child or flour baby is more terrifying, SRSLY.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, my gosh! I can't decide if those covers are creepy or hilarious!

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I do rather like the eyelashes.

Kitty - you never cease to amaze me with the books (and covers) you find.

Still reading Breadcrumbs, but I'm sure I'll finish it tonight. It is sooooo depressing, but I can't keep away from it.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score

I'm reading The Apothecary. Mixed feelings so far. I like the idea that it's set in a time period not usually done though I'm not sure how kids who don't know the history of the 50s, the Cold War, and the McCarthyism in the U.S. would really understand what is going on with the limited setup. I bought it for my 16-year-old because it seemed a little more YA than MG and he knows and likes history, but he didn't finish it.

Also, I feel bad for the author because the cover is sort of bland. I only picked it up because I was intrigued by the title, but again, how many middle graders know the meaning of the word "apothecary?"

I really want to hear what an actual middle grader thinks of it, but I can't get my daughter to read it, so I might loan it to one of her friends.

QuantumIguana

Registered
Reaction score
I've been able to read the Oz books without getting tired of them myself. And we've been reading them for a long time now. She gets one chapter at night, a second one is her option, a third chapter is my option. Sometimes if my voice wears out, I will us the text to speech on the Kindle.

I was also surprised at how different the Wizard of Oz book was from the movie. The movie departs from the book in pretty major ways, yet still is a classic itself. It is interesting Alice in Wonderland keeps getting remade, there's never been a definitive movie version. Usually the Disney version becomes the definitive version, but not this time, every year or so, it seems there is a new version. After Disney's version came out, there was a relatively long period where no other adaptations were made, their version came out in 1951, and aside from a British TV version in 1955, there wasn't another adaptation until 1966. Before 1951 and after 1966, adaptations were common.

But the Wizard of Oz seems different, the 1939 version is clearly the definitive version. Perhaps it is because there are so many differences between the movie and the book, and adaptations might have to be based on the book, and less people are familiar with the book. There have been adaptations, but they've always been seen as second rate compared to the 1939 movie.

I think the Oz books are worthwhile for parents to discover. They can be enjoyed both by parents and children. That's hard to underestimate, there are books that children might love, but make parents cringe. And there is another factor. I read her Doctor Dolittle, and I had to do some editing on the fly, there were some racist passages that I wasn't going to read to her as they were written. I didn't have any problem with that in the Oz books.

Marzipan

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kitty and Amarie! I think I will give them both a go. My 12, almost 13-year-old godson knows what an apothecary is, but he told me 'alchemist' would have been cooler. Lol.

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Kitty and Amarie! I think I will give them both a go. My 12, almost 13-year-old godson knows what an apothecary is, but he told me 'alchemist' would have been cooler. Lol.

He's right. :) Please post when you finish. I'd love to know what you both think.

Spiral

looking at the stars
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm reading the Dear Dumb Diary books to my daughter. I have to say they do have some one-liners that make me laugh out loud. My son is even sneaking in to listen, which is a rare treat.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I read Sarah Plain and Tall for fourth grade book club kiddos. Man, that book is freaking good. So sparely written, and every single word has impact. I love stuff like that. Also read the second sequel, Caleb's Story, which was very meh. Like a Little House on the Prairie book except nothing interesting happened.

Now working on a RILLY good sci fi book called Six Days--kids scavenge through post apocalyptic London in search of an extremely powerful artifact people have spent 100 years searching for, but now the world will end if they don't find it in six days! It's written in pretty strong future dialect, almost like Clockwork Orange For Kids, which might be kind of tough for a non british kid to decipher. But, wow, it's exciting!

jtrylch13

Has semi-colon; will use it!
Registered
Reaction score
I just bought The Fault in Our Stars by John Green on my Kindle. I read a very promising review in Time and then checked it out on Amazon. It had 5 out of 5 stars in 364 reviews. Haven't started yet, but it sounds very good. It's a YA novel about two kids dying of terminal cancers. Sounds depressing right, but it's supposed to be more about how they live life not die. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

JoyMC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.joymcculloughcarranza.com
I just bought The Fault in Our Stars by John Green on my Kindle. I read a very promising review in Time and then checked it out on Amazon. It had 5 out of 5 stars in 364 reviews. Haven't started yet, but it sounds very good. It's a YA novel about two kids dying of terminal cancers. Sounds depressing right, but it's supposed to be more about how they live life not die. Hopefully it won't disappoint.

Oh my gosh, it's amaaaaaaazing. I haven't mentioned it here, because it's YA, but it's one of the best books I've read in a long time. Terminal cancer, yes, but I was grinning so hard for much of it. Very hard to describe, beautiful, funny, poignant, deeply philosophical book. I immediately read another by him which was good (Looking for Alaska), but it didn't touch TFIOS.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I love John Green, so of course I read TFIOS. And yes, it's an excellent book. And it's his first book from the POV of a female, which was nice to see.

But I think I liked An Abundance of Katherines and Looking for Alaska better. ;) I just love his quirky male leads.

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just read Dead End In N0rvelt...I have no earthly idea how this book won the Newbery medal. The other book I've read by the author, Joey P1gza Swallowed the Key, is roughly a hundred times better. This book...no real plot to speak of, 1-dimensional characters, and a TON of random Annoying Didactic Historical Tidbits shoehorned in.

Also, the MC is twelve, and in one scene they are walking down the street and the mom says, "Hold my hand. I like to pretend you're my much younger boyfriend." Is it just me or is that completely gross? There are also a lot of remarks about the same twelve year being the boyfriend of the 80-something year old lady neighbor he is helping out. Blah!!!! And not to be a really boring censor-happy old lady, but there was an extremely lighthearted take on mass murder. The book barely implied that being a mass murderer was evil.

I don't know. This book seems like grownups like it because of all the educational bits crammed in, but I don't know that an actual kid would have any clue what's going on. I know if kids were allowed to pick award-winning kid novels, the prizes would go to whichever book crammed in the most boogers/fighting pet robots/poop jokes or puppy rescuing/pink glitter/magical fairy friends...but I feel like actual kid tastes ought to be more considered.

Then I started An El3phant in the Garden and...well...you know how we always talk about whether a kid narrator or kid protagonist is needed for MG? This book has an 84 year old narrator and a 16 year old protagonist and WOW is it ever boring! I couldn't get through is. Most of the book would have worked with a kid narrator/MC, aside from one falling in love subplot which seemed not MG-ish at all.

So I'm reading Gone-Away Lake now and it is a very cool old adventure story.

sissybaby

Registered
Reaction score
Read The Cheshire Cheese Cat (A Dickens of a Tale) last night. Rather cute, but it's full of talking animals in case you aren't into that.

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Need recommendations for contemporary MG...

... that deals with death, especially the death of a close family member. More like Love, Aubrey than Olive's Ocean, for example.

Thanks!

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Eggs
Maniac Mcgee
The Wanderer
Ida B
Camo Girl
The Boy In The Dress
Mockingbird
The Defense of Thaddeus T Ledbetter
And a book came out last year about a boy with a dead mom, and it has a bunch of cartoons in it. I can't remember the title!

Smish

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've read a few of those, but you guys have definitely given me lots more to add to my list! Thanks. :Thumbs:

Lineykins

Registered
Reaction score
I think the book Kitty might be referring to:
Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls.
(from a story idea by Siobhan Dowd, with illustrations by Jim Kay)

Kitty Pryde

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think the book Kitty might be referring to:
Patrick Ness, A Monster Calls.
(from a story idea by Siobhan Dowd, with illustrations by Jim Kay)

nope, that's definitely not it. That's got drawings and is about a dying mom. This one is about a dead mom and has cartoons. The author is a guy.

Lineykins

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, different books.
:)

Smish - 'A Monster Calls' might still be the sort of book you are after - about a boy coming to terms with the impending death (cancer) of his mother (she dies at the end of the book).