Anxiety Attack-Help!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Please forgive the somewhat long post below :). A (potentially positive) situation's come up and I wanted some feedback.

About a month ago, Awesome Agent Number One requested a very detailed R & R. After mulling over the suggested changes for a couple of weeks, I began the R & R (which is turning into a total rewrite, since I seem to have an easier time revising a blank page :).

Cut to today-Awesome Agent Number Two sent a very kind e-mail stating she was enjoying the manuscript, that one of her colleagues had enjoyed it, and that she hoped to finish reading by this weekend.

Mind you, there are no offers on the table as of yet, and while I'm cautiously pleased, I don't really expect any (it's safer that way :)). My question is purely hypothetical-if I do receive an offer on the manuscript as it now stands, should I mention the revision/rewrite? Should I not say anything? Did I make a mistake in not pulling the initial manuscript from agents when I received the R & R request? Do I pull all my hair out today, or wait for further developments??

Many thanks in advance, and please forgive the length of this post!

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
What are your opinions about what agent 1 asked in the rewrites? Do you think they greatly enhance your story? If you go with agent 2 would you still want those rewrites in the story?
I think you have to decide this or whether you want to stick with the MS the way it is before you decide.
If you love the changes and get an offer, you should mention those changes and offer agent 2 an opportunity to see the changes? Either way, you should give agent 1 the opportunity to match the offer, since that agent has spent time on your MS and you haven't pulled it from submission.
If you don't like the changes, then why are you making them hehe ;). If you prefer your book w/o the changes, the you don't need to do anything.
IMHO putting my eggs in one basket has never worked out well for me :).

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
Please forgive the somewhat long post below :). A (potentially positive) situation's come up and I wanted some feedback.

About a month ago, Awesome Agent Number One requested a very detailed R & R. After mulling over the suggested changes for a couple of weeks, I began the R & R (which is turning into a total rewrite, since I seem to have an easier time revising a blank page :).

Cut to today-Awesome Agent Number Two sent a very kind e-mail stating she was enjoying the manuscript, that one of her colleagues had enjoyed it, and that she hoped to finish reading by this weekend.

Mind you, there are no offers on the table as of yet, and while I'm cautiously pleased, I don't really expect any (it's safer that way :)). My question is purely hypothetical-if I do receive an offer on the manuscript as it now stands, should I mention the revision/rewrite? Should I not say anything? Did I make a mistake in not pulling the initial manuscript from agents when I received the R & R request? Do I pull all my hair out today, or wait for further developments??

Many thanks in advance, and please forgive the length of this post!

First of all, your post isn't long. :)

Second, if I were you I'd keep doing the rewrite for Agent One (as long as you want to) while you're waiting to hear, that way if Agent Two isn't interested, you're still pursuing Agent One. If Agent Two makes an offer, however, then you might wish to go with that one.

In other words, just keep doing what you're doing. Agent One's R&R was a request, not a contract, so it's perfectly fine to go with another Agent if you choose.

Good luck, either way!

Shelley

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, pull all your hair out and use that as a marketing stunt :)
I would sit tight for now. If you get an offer from the agent who's read the original version, I would mention the rewrite and see how it goes from there. Maybe the original version totally convinced her, maybe she'll want a rewrite too - impossible to tell until you hear back.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, PinkAmy, shelleyo and Bushrat!

Amy, it's kind of tricky-I think that the revision suggestions are really good, but they're definitely taking the book in a whole new direction. Which is a concern, especially if a different agent likes manuscript one :).

Shelleyo and Bushrat, I think you're both spot on-I'm going to keep going with the rewrite, since, like Amy says, it's not a great idea to put all your eggs in one basket :). And if all else fails, there's always hair pulling :).

Again, many thanks to all of you!! I don't know what I'd do without this board...:).

Last edited:

JSSchley

Have Harp Will Travel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jessicaschley.com
Sounds like Agent Two might make an offer on the book as it stands. Keep going with the rewrite, and when Agent Two makes an offer (I like to think positively) you can mention the rewrite and offer it, but also say you'd be delighted to keep the book the same as the one s/he read.

Win/win, IMO. Don't tear your hair out; you're in a spiffy place!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much JS! Lovin' the optimism :). I'm hoping for good things, but I'll definitely keep going with the rewrite, since it's keeping me (relatively) sane...

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
If the second agent makes an offer, I wouldn't necessarily mention the rewrite. I'd first wait to see what the agent had to say on her own about the manuscript. Most agents have ideas on what they'd like to see rewritten--or where the few remaining trouble spots are (hopefully only a few). It would be interesting to see if this agent agrees with the other one as far as changes. If you have made some changes you really like, you could mention these in a general discussion with the second agent--either before or after you sign. Like, "I was thinking of changing the boy to a girl, making her 9 instead of 19 and changing him/her into an alien. What do you think?" If the agent thinks it's ready to go just the way it is, then you don't risk having to show her a whole new book.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions popmuze! I like the idea of bringing up certain changes I've made-could be helpful if Agent Two is on the fence...

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
having been in this situation myself- i would not say anything...see how agent #2 plays out...if they want to offer rep on the book as is- and you decide to use some of the thoughts from agent #1's revision- you can let her know you want to make some revisions based on some thoughts you have- you can see if agent#2 agrees at that point.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi silver! Thanks so much for your input :). I definitely think it's a good idea to adopt a "wait and see" attitude at this point. I'll be chewing my nails until then...;).

And btw, congrats on your agent! (Saw your tagline :)).

silver76

Living the Dream (Nightmare)
Registered
Reaction score
i know how hard waiting is BELIEVE ME- but its true you are in a good place- try and enjoy it