• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jane Rotrosen Agency

Dawnny Baby

Getting back up again
Registered
Reaction score
Sent snail mail query w/ SASE plus overview and prologue plus first three chapters to Christina Hogrebe on 9-18-09.

Rec’d form rejection on teeny-weeny note card (slightly larger than a business card) in my SASE on 10-13-09.

Crap.

sciri

Maxine Fan
Registered
Reaction score
I snail-queried beginning of November and still haven't heard back...
Would it be a bad idea to re-query?
The SASE from novel #1 came back pretty fast, so now I'm thinking this time either the query or the SASE got lost...

Brenda Hill

Diva in Training
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.brendahill.com
Oh no, sciri. Four months to hear? I snail-queried 2/12 and I'm already chewing nails. Sorry about the R, sciri and Dawnny Baby.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Oh--kay!

I prepared a snail query package today to send to Christina Hogrebe. I'll let you all know when I get my rejection notice (I understand I'm to expect a little card?)

Cool! It beats all the silence I'm getting on the email end of things.

foliogal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question for those of you who have queried Christina Hogrebe. Did you just send a Query plus synopsis as instructed by the Agency's submission guidelines or did you also send sample chapters as suggested in her agent profile on Agent Query? When sending a packet such as the latter do you enclosed a SASE with enough postage for return of everything or just a letter size envelope to handle that little card ILSinTexas refers too. Thanks in advance for any information. By the way, I love this board.

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query, short synopsis, and the first 3 chapters. A week later, I received my little card :D

foliogal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the info ILSinTexas. I'll do the same and expect the same.

Dev

Registered
Reaction score
No response=no?

Just wondering. Queried Andrea Cirillo on 2 Feb, received a request for partial on 2 Mar, sent it the same day. Since then, crickets. Four months for 100 pages? Nudged two weeks ago, no response yet. Any advice?

--Dev

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Andrea Cirillo

Just wondering. Queried Andrea Cirillo on 2 Feb, received a request for partial on 2 Mar, sent it the same day. Since then, crickets. Four months for 100 pages? Nudged two weeks ago, no response yet. Any advice?

I snail mail queried Andrea Cirillo on 1/26/11 for an adult novel, and received a request on 3/19/11 for the first three chapters + detailed synopsis. I haven't heard anything back yet, and I'm wondering if anyone else has experience subbing to Ms. Cirillo. I noted Dev's post back in July of 2010, and am curious about the outcome.

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Quite confused about whether they're open to queries - Querytracker says no but their website says nothing about not accepting unsolicited queries. Does anyone know?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Rotrosen herself is not accepting queries, but the other agents at the agency are open to them.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Quite confused about whether they're open to queries - Querytracker says no but their website says nothing about not accepting unsolicited queries. Does anyone know?

I snail-mail queried Andrea Cirillo on a project back aways, and she sent out an R about 30 days after a request for a partial. I queried her on my subsequent project approximately 25 days ago, again by snail-mail, and received an email from her assistant for a full.

So, in conclusion, it is correct that Ms Rotrosen herself is not accepting queries, but other agents are. I believe, as in Ms. Cirillo's case, that snail-mail is the way to go for the initial query. Just check the agency listing by agent, for their genres and querying procedure.

And good luck!:)

Wildflower90

Registered
Reaction score
Cool, thanks for the info both of you :0) I'll peruse the other agents' bios!

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
I snail-mail queried Andrea Cirillo on a project back aways, and she sent out an R about 30 days after a request for a partial. I queried her on my subsequent project approximately 25 days ago, again by snail-mail, and received an email from her assistant for a full.

So, in conclusion, it is correct that Ms Rotrosen herself is not accepting queries, but other agents are. I believe, as in Ms. Cirillo's case, that snail-mail is the way to go for the initial query. Just check the agency listing by agent, for their genres and querying procedure.

And good luck!:)

I wanted to let everyone on this thread know that Ms. Cirillo can definitely be queried via email. I have been corresponding with her as such and have received a request. On the agency website it says that you may use email or postal mail. The individual email addresses are listed on their bio page. I used Ms. Cirillo's email as listed and received an initial reply email from her intern. Subsequent emails have been from Ms. Cirillo herself.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
I wanted to let everyone on this thread know that Ms. Cirillo can definitely be queried via email. I have been corresponding with her as such and have received a request. On the agency website it says that you may use email or postal mail. The individual email addresses are listed on their bio page. I used Ms. Cirillo's email as listed and received an initial reply email from her intern. Subsequent emails have been from Ms. Cirillo herself.

Write on!

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Maddie, out of curiosity what genre do you write since we both have fulls out with Ms. Cirillo? Best of luck!

I write Adult Fiction. This particular submission is more Women's Fiction/Chick Lit, except for some raunch, foul language and brief but graphic violence (the main character kicks you-know-what, but I needed the latter to portray her as a believable, yet very strong female). Because I write fiction that could possibly appeal all over the spectrum (except to those under the age of 18), I've had a somewhat difficult time appealing to agents who are searching for a very specific and narrow genre. I tend to write about May/December relationships, but more often when the December-part is filled by a woman. Loads of entertainment.

What about you, WriteStarfish? What's your favorite genre to create?

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds interesting. It's nice to take something and make it your own, through a twist or different element. I write historicals with lots of action, mystery, adventure, intrigue, etc. I love when something seems complicated and then it all comes together. If the reader is left surprised, then even better!

flygal716

Jump in the way of good luck
Registered
Reaction score

I was wondering, too. Is Querytracker in general up to date? I know that AgentQuery is not.

Shall

Too Much Plot, No Substance
Registered
Reaction score
My biggest problem is choosing which agent I want to send a query: Meg Ruley, Annelise Robey or Christina Hogrebe.