Will sharing work on AW keep me from being published?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LearningTwoWrite

Registered
Reaction score
If I put writing on share your work, do you think that a publisher might see some of it and say that since he found some of it online that she wouldn't publish it?

Does Absolute Write own the content? Would that ownership keep me from getting published?

Thanks.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Share Your Work can only be accessed by people who A) have a membership here and B) enter a separate password.

By law, that means that's you're posting on a private site and not open to anyone wandering through the web.

Which means you haven't published it, so all your rights are still yours to sell.

You've covered. No worries.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Also, even if you were posting a scene on a blog or something, as long as you keep it to a small percentage of your novel, it shouldn't be a big deal.

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Actually, I'd suggest the opposite is true. Posting in SYW, taking constructive criticism (and working to GIVE instructive criticism) will improve your work, your writing, and make you a better writer. Logic says that would thereby improve your chances of being published.)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
that plus a particular agent who posts on Aw, contacted a writer based on a SYW piece and eventually signed her...

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Case on point: I posted my prologue on SYW a while ago. I have since been signed to publish the work.

LearningTwoWrite

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't mean to suggest that you could not. I just didn't know. Hope that it was okay to ask.

Smish

Reads more than she writes.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I didn't mean to suggest that you could not. I just didn't know. Hope that it was okay to ask.

Of course it's okay. Do read the stickies and FAQs, though. Questions like these have almost always been asked - and answered - before.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
If I put writing on share your work, do you think that a publisher might see some of it and say that since he found some of it online that she wouldn't publish it?

No one will see it. An excerpt on a password protected site is fine. It does not equal "publication" and editors all know this.

I'm an editor myself and assure you that we have better things to do than cruise critique forums to take names. We're too freaking busy. I'm only here on my lunch break because I'm addicted to my craft. ;)

Does Absolute Write own the content? Would that ownership keep me from getting published?

No and no.

Relax.

AW is like no other board on the whole Net. It's writers respecting other writers. There are many pros in the industry who drop in (I'm one of those) to do a little "payback" to help others.

No one will steal your work. They're too busy working on their own stories.

When you've had your work up for a week or so and comments stop, let the moderator know to delete that thread. We're all friends here. :)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
that plus a particular agent who posts on Aw, contacted a writer based on a SYW piece and eventually signed her...

There are also several agents who DON'T post, but who are members, who trawl through SYW and have contacted members via private message about things posted there.

Share Your Work is an amazing resource, and thankfully one that's secure enough that it can do what it's designed to, which is help writers improve their craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.