Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
That's a good title name, Lisa. :)

Ely, I never read the books, but I want to drag my boyfriend along to go see the movie. Just to see what all the book hype was about.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
AMAZING cover and title, MA! And interesting idea!

I got the idea for TL off a picture too. That was the first time I found inspiration that way, I think. It was my uncle's photo of his and his wife's matching dragon tattoos surrounding a yin yang symbol, but both were in different styles. I actually got the idea to have my MC in my matchmaking-Robin Hood idea to get a yin yang symbol as a tattoo since his LI likes to describe their relationship as yin and yang. But I figured it seems too random, so I dropped the idea. But then I started wondering how tattoos might fit into a love story. Tattoo Love was born :D

Missus Akasha

I'm a monster. I'm a saint.
Registered
Reaction score
AMAZING cover and title, MA! And interesting idea!

I got the idea for TL off a picture too. That was the first time I found inspiration that way, I think. It was my uncle's photo of his and his wife's matching dragon tattoos surrounding a yin yang symbol, but both were in different styles. I actually got the idea to have my MC in my matchmaking-Robin Hood idea to get a yin yang symbol as a tattoo since his LI likes to describe their relationship as yin and yang. But I figured it seems too random, so I dropped the idea. But then I started wondering how tattoos might fit into a love story. Tattoo Love was born :D

Thanks, Karla.

I just love it when inspiration hits! That's really cool that you got inspiration from tattoos of your uncle and aunt.

Ely, I tend to watch the movies before I read the books because if I do it the other way around then I will get really annoyed by the missing details and ditched plotlines that the movies left out. At least, if I watch the movies then read the books, I can point out 'oh, the movie makes more sense now' or 'why didn't the movie put that in there?'

Elysium

believe
Registered
Reaction score
In my computer....most of the time and Pennsylvani
I can't watch the movie before I read the book. It just spoils everything for me which is why I think I'll never read the Harry Potter books and why I haven't read I Am Number Four. It's been sitting on my shelf for months, collecting dust all because I couldn't resist watching the movie.

I made a cover for Whispers in the Dark but it's not as 'dark' as I would like it to be. It's also kind of hard finding pics of POCs that aren't cliche or...bleh.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Do you guys think I should email my tutor first? I mean, I presume I'm allowed to do something with it, but I don't want to get into trouble...

(I've never come across anything that says you can't).

Yes. You also need to look up your university's copyright policy. They should have a policy that tells you when they'll try to make a claim on the ownership of work you created during your degree. (If the lecturer had written a short story in the course of a class they were teaching, it would normally be copyright to the university. I don't think the same applies to students, but you should definitely check.)

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys! Hoping to cram some writing in before I run out of the door today. How's everyone going? :)

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi lvae!

Good luck with the writing!

And I'm doing okay. I think I figured out why writing TL has been going slowly. I'm probably struggling with motivation to finish it. Like, I do want to finish it, but I just don't feel my drive to finish it is as strong as it used to be.

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure the inspiration will come. :) I find inspiration always strikes me at the worst possible times, like right before major exams, or when I'm supposed to be working on a 2500 word essay due in three days...

Why is it always like that?

Ely - try give it a last hurrah... I hated studying maths in high school, but in hindsight I wished I put in my effort. I developed a really bad procastination habit for studying in senior year that I carried on till uni. D:

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Aww sorry, Ely. I'm sure you can do well on your final!

lvae - Yeah, true. And it is strange how the muse usually shows up at the worst times if it's disappeared LOL. YAWN doesn't even help for motivation. Probably do just need a break...

lvae

oh so shiny
Registered
Reaction score
I've definitely had a writer's block since November! I wrote bits and pieces here and there, but it takes twice as long as usual... if not more.

I'm blaming it on the rain. It's meant to be summer here in Sydney, but it's raining every second day. Guh.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
I hope you cam lose the block soon!

I think it's been 1.5 weeks where things have been going so slowly for me.

Need some writing mojo for sure lol

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Ivae, I've felt the same way for a while. I hit The Wall. It's hard to overcome it - really hard - but all it means is that you're a writer. :) I don't even remember how I overcame it but I let the WIP sit for a while and after focusing a lot of time on deciding what I want to write in it, everything came clearly. And then I just wrote. :)
Good luck! And good luck to you, too, Karla!

CharacterInWhite

Kind of a big deal
Registered
Reaction score
I'm 20. Does that make me too old for this thread?

Unrelated - Akasha, I envy you. Excellent title, excellent cover, and a log line to boot! I want to eat it up.

My manuscript, while complete, still feels like it has an ugly title. And I lack a catchy log line. It's a sad state of existence when my crummy marketing saps confidence from my actual writing. :(

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Hey CharaterInWhite, welcome to the thread! No your not too old, i'm 21 and i'm not the oldest. :welcome:

Now for the welcoming questions

1) what do you prefer to be called?
2) What do you write?

Status
Not open for further replies.