Military Protocol: New officer takes command of sub unit

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Hi Folks - pardon me for hopping over from the SF board, but I'd be grateful for some help:

In a Western army (any post-Medieval period) what happens when a new officer arrives at a regiment to take command of a sub-unit, e.g. a platoon?

Presumably he reports to his commanding officer first, but then what happens? Is he, e.g. presented to his men, or his senior NCO, or...?

Any answers or pointers to sources would be appreciated...

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
There's usually a change of command ceremony, if that's what you're asking. If you're asking what happens when the new commander physically PCSs to his new location and begins inprocessing, that's something totally different.

By the way, my answer comes from serving in a 20th Century Army, which is kinda post-Medieval. :D

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
When an officer takes over a platoon or a small unit there is no change of command. Change of commands are reserved for company sized elements and above. Usually the officer will report to his/her commanding officer, then will meet the NCO they will be serving with. The officer and the NCO will discuss the needs of the organization, where the soldiers are lacking, and "personality issues" that may arise. If an NCO really wants to screw with an officer, especially a junior officer, they will just introduce them to the rank and file without any prior briefing, which can really screw up things.

This is more for the modern army. Similiar things happened historically, but you have to remember that in the past a commission was either purchased or appointed (for example, for exemplary service as an enlisted). Also, if you are talking about European armies, officers were usually members of the aristocracy, so there may not have been the open communication there (sometimes) is today.

HTH.

Noah Body

Entertainment Ronin
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, I missed the platoon part...though I've seen those happen too, at Ft. Rucker. Never saw them happen at "real" units at Hood or Campbell though, if I recall correctly.

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, in the beginning of the American Revolution, commanding officers were voted into position, and had to overlook certain violations--a lot of drinking during the Siege of Boston--if they wanted to keep their rank. Only the generals (of which there were many "classes") and some colonels were appointed by state committees, and they only deferred to the choice of the 2nd Continental Congress--Washington. There was a ceremony at the appointment to office, not so much at the arrival. Washington did take the time out of the campaign to read the Declaration of Independence, the very day it was delivered to him, though. I would call that a ceremony.

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
Thanks...

It would be wartime, but on a vessel on the way to war, not a detached post. It's a rather odd MilSF setting, but I think that the real-world protocol probably reflects human realities, if you know what I mean.

Doogs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
doogs.wordpress.com
It would be wartime, but on a vessel on the way to war, not a detached post. It's a rather odd MilSF setting, but I think that the real-world protocol probably reflects human realities, if you know what I mean.

So...I'm envisioning one vessel rendezvousing with another and conveying the new CO aboard?

Also, is the unit this character is taking over part of the vessel's crew, or just aboard for the ride?

zornhau

Swordsman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
So...I'm envisioning one vessel rendezvousing with another and conveying the new CO aboard?

Also, is the unit this character is taking over part of the vessel's crew, or just aboard for the ride?

Sorry - probably didn't explain it properly. The unit belongs to the equivalent of a taskforce's contingent of marines, perhaps a platoon. So, it's not new CO. Rather new junior officer arrives.

justinai

SHAZAM!!
Registered
Reaction score
You're right, I missed the platoon part...though I've seen those happen too, at Ft. Rucker. Never saw them happen at "real" units at Hood or Campbell though, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, aviation units are a little different in what they do...I think it's a CAV thing. :)

Of course, it could be a training thing if you were in a training unit...things are always a little screwy in those units.