Are you Bi-Genre?

Inarticulate Babbler

Pissin' Everyone off, 1 at a time
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering how many of us write more than Historical Fiction.

What other genres do you write in, if any? If not, are you fanatical about Historical Fiction?

I write Historical, Fantasy, Supernatural Thriller (horror but not blood and guts), (soft) Science Fiction, and Non-Magical Fantasy (which is supposed to be a different kind of Historical, of which I've never heard).

I apologize if this is a repeat.

tehuti88

Mackinac Island Fanatic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.inkspot.com
I'm not strictly historical fiction, but my fantasy writing features lots of historic elements so that's why I visit this forum. :D

I write:

Mythological/historical/psychological fantasy
Thriller/occult/suspense/crime/psychological drama
Anthro/GLBT/fantasy/political/melodrama erotica

Those are the three main ones off the top of my head...I do have other stories in different genres but they're mostly things I don't work on much anymore. As you can see it's kind of hard to summarize all the different genre aspects going on in the main series I write; in fact, with the last one, I often wonder whether I should even put it under "fantasy" since the only fantasy aspect, really, is the fact that the characters are a fantasy anthro race. There's an apparently psychic character but other than that absolutely no other fantasy stuff happens, that I can think of. Oh well! People don't read that particular series for the fantasy if you know what I mean. :eek:

I guess I'm pretty loose with my genres or something. :D I'm fanatical about whatever I'm writing about.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Seems to me there was a thread similar to this not too long ago. For me it's historical, mainstream/contemporary, hard science fiction, and anything else that happens to strike my fancy. But in all cases, I'm a purist and like my facts. Puma

gwendy85

~*Proudly Mestiza*~
Registered
Reaction score
Anything that strikes my fancy too.

I've written another historical, a contemporary paranormal thriller, and have written...or rather drawn/created fantasy. I'm a manga-ka in my own right....so...hehe

Minister

Unpredictable preacher
Registered
Reaction score
In the South-East, once again - of Michigan this t
Website
www.tominister.blogspot.com
A lot of my short fiction ends up being fantasy, and I've dabbled in scifi and others. I think specfic and hisfic dovetail well -- they both require immersing the reader in a world that is almost entirely foreign, while never losing his interest in the characters or attachment to the plot. The research process can even be pretty similar.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
Historical, alternate historical, contemporary, and I am currently working on cross-genre, contemporary-historical, going from the past to the near present.

I write historical fiction because I love to read it. And I am not at all picky about period. I love doing the research but often feel a bit hit and miss. That is the way I write, too, using only a time line, no outline. Scenes come I have to write and then I have a better idea of where the story is going.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write both mystery and historical mystery, so I guess that makes me bi-genre.

Oh, and I write fantasy for children.

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I've also researched material for an eco-thriller and written the opening chapter. It's shelved right now until I finish my current historical but I plan to work on it next.
Linnea

Appalachian Writer

Somewhere in the hills....
Registered
Reaction score
I write literary fiction. I've tried to branch out into paranormal, but my betas tell me I'm not very good at it. I have one writer acquaintance who had like twelve pseudonyms. She writes in a different genre for each name. Mysteries, fantasy, westerns, humor, scifi. She's a wonder because her style subtlely changes with each genre. Would that I could stretch in all directions, but alas, I cannot. :(

Clio

In the mind warp pavilion
Registered
Reaction score
Ancient history is my real passion, but I just love putting words down on paper (or screen, as it is now) and I have dabbled in a few genres. If I were to make a serious attempt at another genre, though, it would be horror. I like the idea of a group of modern maenads..... :e2teeth:

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Historical romance. Historical fantasy. And I have plans for historical fiction.

And horror.

DoylestownWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alsirois.com
Bigenerical

I wear several writing hats, actually. I started off selling science fiction and stuck with that for a long time. I also wrote and sold the occasional fantasy tale. I got interested in historical fiction after writing a based-on-truth story set in 1936. Then I wrote an entire YA book set in 1870. After that I branched out into mysteries, and have two (unsold) YA books set in ancient Egypt now making the rounds. Plus horror; I had a story published in Tales of World War Z earlier this year and have a novel in outline form, waiting for me to find the time to write it. And... two "contemporary" mainstream novels, one co-authored.

I must be a writing fool! I am told that my style is different for each genre but to be perfectly honest I am not aware of this as I write.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I write whatever hits me, but I tend to stray back to Fantasy and Historical in particular (she says as she gets ready to start a YA SF novel for NaNo... :) ). I particularly like combining the two. I've dabbled with crime fiction and what I suppose you'd call contemporary fiction as well but not very seriously.