• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Centrinian Publishing Ltd.

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
I came across a new publisher who look like there set to go global. They're called Centrinian Publishing.

Their website: http://www.centrinian.com

Don't know if they're accepting submissions as I haven't inquired.

Their book trailer is very impressive.

Last edited:

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
There's a new publisher in town. They're called Centrinian Publishing Ltd.

You should check out their site and video trailer. It's good stuff.

http://www.centrinian.com

MUST SEE!!!

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know, it could be, but I was pretty impressed by the websites and the trailer, especially the book trailer. We'll have to wait and see, but I'm always excited about a new publisher.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
A one-book publisher? Are you sure it's not a front for someone who's self-publishing?

It's owned by Mr Sheldon and Miss Sheneise Stone, who live at the same address, so I'm assuming that Alecia Stone (the only author at present) is somehow related. So basically, yes, it looks like a publisher that initially at least exists to publish a single book.

I'd be a bit put off by the spelling mistakes in the ABOUT US page ('bringing fourth', 'specailises') as well...

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Uh huh, yeah, right. Merging threads into BR&BC.

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
I know what you're saying but if they had anything to hide surely their information wouldn't be listed for all to see. It seems very professional and when I contacted them, they told me they weren't accepting submissions until next year. So maybe they're just trying to establish themselves.

Either way, I'll keep a lookout.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
I know what you're saying but if they had anything to hide surely their information wouldn't be listed for all to see. It seems very professional and when I contacted them, they told me they weren't accepting submissions until next year. So maybe they're just trying to establish themselves.

Either way, I'll keep a lookout.

I'm sure there's nothing to 'hide', exactly, but it doesn't seem all that professional to me - typos on the website, for example. I wouldn't want to sign my publishing rights over to them until I've seen how their one book goes and been reassured that I was dealing with literate publishing professionals and not, say, a random author's Mum and Dad.

Having stuff available for pre-order on retailer sites means nothing - just means you've got yourself an ISBN.

By all means check them out but I recommend erring on the side of caution.

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
It's always good to be aware but I think it's only fair to give them a chance to prove themselve before slandering them. Since they're not accepting submissions, there's nothing really to be aware of right now. We'll see how their title progresses.

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
I came across a new publisher who look like there set to go global. They're called Centrinian Publishing.

Their book trailer is very impressive.

My goodness, Shinzy, you're awfully excited about Centrinian Publishing. Are you by any chance the owner or an employee of the company? I can see no indication that Centrinian is "set to go global", although I'd be impressed if they can actually get their books into "a bookshop near you", as they claim.

Yes, the book trailer is quite impressive. Unfortunately, trailers for books by unknown authors don't sell books; unless Centrinian intends to actively market Talisman of El the only people who know the trailer exists will be Alecia Stone's family and friends.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
HI, Shinzy, and welcome to AW.

Shinzy:
This seems a little harsh considering the company seem very professional. They might have one book but it's listed on all major sites for Pre-Order. Seems ligit to me.

This Forum is for sharing any information about publishers, agents and other book service providers. It's not an indictment on the publisher (if you check out the index, you'll find plenty of perfectly legitimate publishers, agents and other providers on here), but rather a way of asking questions.

Can I ask how you found out about Centrinian given that they do appear to be set up as a self-publishing outfit first and foremost?

It seems to me that Centrinian are trying to publish well. It's good that they're beginning their marketing prior to their first book's release in May 2012 and that they're already listed on Amazon for hardback and paperback versions. However, I'd point out that hardback books for YA audiences don't tend to do well unless the author is already well known or the publisher is really pushing it and the £9.74 price, although better than a lot of self-published books, is still more than other hardbacks (e.g. I've recently bought David Almond's latest book THE TRUE TALE OF THE MONSTER BILLY DEAN from Amazon for £7.29).

The trailer is certainly very slick, but there are a few things that I'd question about it. For example, they have the caption "Failure is not an option" immediately before the caption "It happens every 26,000 years" and the first time I saw it, I thought they meant that failure happens every 26,000 years.

Then they have the caption: "Only a few ever survive" and "This time ..." then "No-one will", which in addition to being opaque seems to me to be contradictory and confused.

Then there's the fact that although the book isn't available until May 2012, there's already a review up on Goodreads, which would be great except that the review is by "Centrinian", i.e. the publisher and the review doesn't actually tell you anything about the book:

Centrinian's Goodreads Review:
Brilliant read for the present and future generation of teen readers. Mythology at its best. An absolute must read. Full of adrenaline, adventure, magic, mystery and a fantastic plot sure to be a hit.

It's not great advertising for the book and to be honest, they'd be better served getting ARCs out to some of the YA book blogs out there to get some honest feedback rather than reviewing it themselves. It's a classic newbie error.

There's no information on whether the books will be stored within bookstores (note that being available to order from a bookshop is not the same as being available within a bookshop) and there's no information about electronic copies, which is really a must in this day and age.

I'd also be concerned about how the publisher is going to operate with third party authors because the concern is always that the publisher's relatives end up getting priority on marketing and distribution.

Centrinian Publishing Limited is properly incorporated in the UK and has been since 5th August 2011. That's good news and shows they want to do things properly. The bad news is that it looks to me like the company's registered to a residential address and you should check out what the share capital is and its assets because if it goes under, you might not get your money back (it's not uncommon for companies to be set up with only £100 share capital) and you'd have no recourse against the individuals. Plus if it goes under (which many publishers do within the first 2 years of trading), it can take your rights with it. There are many cautionary tales on these boards about people who've been left in limbo by companies going under.

To be honest, I'd recommend to anyone thinking about this publisher to wait for a year in order to get sales figures because that will get you an idea of how effective they are.

Shinzy:
It's always good to be aware but I think it's only fair to give them a chance to prove themselve before slandering them.

Shinzy, you're new here so you should do yourself a favour and go and have a look at the boards and the Newbie guide to see how it all works. Then you should give yourself a quick education on defamation law because if you're going to throw around legal terms it helps to use the right one. For future reference, it's "libel" not "slander". "Libel" is when it's written. "Slander" is when it's spoken. Using the wrong phrase to insult people makes you look like an asshat. Try not to do that.

Shinzy:
Since they're not accepting submissions, there's nothing really to be aware of right now.

So if they're not open to submissions and, apparently won't be until summer 2012, what was your purpose in promoting them on AW? If you're not here in an honest capacity - i.e. you're associated with the company in some way and posting on these boards to promote the book, then there are other ways of doing that. Indeed, there are boards here specifically set up for self-promotion. If you're not going to declare your interest, then you should be prepared for scrutiny and people asking questions. From your behaviour and the wording of your posts I would suggest that you're here to schill the book and to be honest, your snotty attitude hasn't done the book or Centrinian any favours.

MM

Last edited:

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
MM, according to Centrinian's Bookshop page

OUR BOOKS ARE AVAILABLE TO PURCHASE ONLINE OR IN A BOOKSHOP NEAR YOU

I think most people (and most potential authors) will interpret this as meaning that Centrinian books will be on the shelves of your local bookshop.

Last edited:

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
You make some good points, Momento. I know they're not accepting submissions, but I was really impressed by what I saw and as an aspiring author, I thought i'd share my excitement. But I'd definitely keep your advice in mind.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
I just bailed out of a long post because MM put it far better.

I will add one thing. A good rule of thumb is to wait until a publisher has been in business at least a year before you submit. By this point you should be able to see how they promote their authors and distribute their books. There also may be some data points on payment available.

Believe me, we all want to see new publishers succeed. More markets for all of us! Yet, we've seen enough small publishers go under for various reasons such as illness or personal financial difficulties that most of us are wary about submitting to a publisher that isn't established or isn't run by someone with some good industry experience.

This is why we ask questions.

Torgo

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Shinzy, I also want to explain why this might seem overly critical to a newcomer. It's simply that publishing, especially at the margins, is infested with sharks and scam artists. So many people want to be published that it's relatively easy for a con artist or an author mill or a vanity press to exploit them, taking large sums of money for no benefit.

You also get people who set themselves up as publishers without having any expertise, and this is a problem because that's the main reason you would go with a publisher in the first place. If your publisher can't competently edit, package or sell your book, you're wasting your rights on them.

I thoroughly agree with you when you say 'let's give them a chance to prove themselves'. Absolutely; everyone has to start somewhere. But there are a certain amount of red flags popping up for me. Let's see how the Talisman book goes.

I also want to explain why we might seem a bit suspicious of your own motives: it's because we've seen, many times, people showing up here to promote their own ventures while claiming to have no connection. I'm sure it's only a coincidence that their approaches always look a lot like yours (even down to the defensive accusation of 'slander' in your most recent post - it's typical of sock-puppetry) but it is somewhat striking.

Shinzy00

Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough. I get your point. Having discussions isn't bad, as some things people say keeps you aware of what's going on, so I'll definitely take all the advice on board :)

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
aliceshortcake:
I think most people (and most potential authors) will interpret this as meaning that Centrinian books will be on the shelves of your local bookshop.

Agreed, but given that this is a small publisher and bookstores usually want favourable returnability and discounted terms, I would suggest that it's more likely that it means the book is available to order within stores.

Shinzy:
I was really impressed by what I saw and as an aspiring author, I thought i'd share my excitement.

Okay, but as an aspiring author how did you come across the company? To be honest, unless you specifically know about this book in advance it's difficult to just stumble across it. Did someone tell you about them? If so, who told you about them? I'm not trying to trap you - if you found out about them because of some advertising they're doing then that would be good to know because at least it shows that they're serious about alerting the public.

MM

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
And if you are affiliated with Centrinian, best be out with it now. If you are, it's fine to come and promote your venture (within AW's guidelines, of course.) We welcome and celebrate quite a few small and start-up presses.

But it's always embarrassing when IP addresses get investigated and a new member gets shown up for staging a "gee whiz, look at this nifty thing I accidentally found!" when they are up to the elbows in the project in question.

I'm sorry if it seems we're casting aspersions. You just have to understand that we've seen it dozens of times and it doesn't end well. If you're part of Centrinian and proud of your new endeavor, let us share in your excitement!

And if you're honestly just an impressed aspiring writer who ran across a new publisher and wanted to share, sorry for the scrutiny. It's not personal. We just see a lot of foolishness here. And it always gets revealed in the end.

Last edited:

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
P.S. And if you are part of Centrinian, come on out now and we'll all have a laugh about it and forgive and move on.

Believe me, I can understand the allure of approaching it from an oblique angle. We all can. It's just that the internet isn't as anonymous as it sometimes feels and then sensibilities get ruffled and huffs ensue.

Obviously, if you aren't, ignore this post and forgive me.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You make some good points, Momento. I know they're not accepting submissions, but I was really impressed by what I saw and as an aspiring author, I thought i'd share my excitement. But I'd definitely keep your advice in mind.
It looks as if Alecia's mum and dad are pouring money into self-publishing Alecia's book, and creating a start-up publishing company to do this. That's very nice and supportive of mum and dad. Perhaps, if they put enough money and time and effort into it, and if the book is good, they'll have some success and make a profit. For their sakes, I hope so, though the odds are against it.

But why would any other author get excited about this?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Unimportant:
But why would any other author get excited about this?

I'm more interested in knowing how any other author would know about this company. I find it fascinating that Shinzy keeps refusing to say how they first came to know about such an exciting new publisher.

If you put "Centrinian Publishing" into Google, you get a lot of information about the company but it's 3 pages until you get to their one (and currently only) book. I did find a Twitter account for them here: https://twitter.com/#!/CentrinianBooks but they only have 9 followers, one of whom is the author.

MM

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score

Hi Shinzy,

I have some questions:

• Do you think that it is incredibly dishonest & unethical for a publisher to go online and pretend to be a disinterested party to drum up publicity?
  • Do you realise that such behaviour is illegal in the UK?
    (See the Directive on Unfair Commercial Practices for details)
  • Do you think a publisher who resorts to something like that should be trusted?
  • Do you think that it is odd that you happened to choose exactly the same user name 'Shinzy' as Sheneise Stone uses on other sites? Example here.

Why is honesty too much to expect ?

Mac

Last edited: