Looking to start a magazine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking to start a Spec Fic magazine. Anybody know of any affordable printing services out there that won't charge me an arm and a leg? Any advice on getting started in general would be helpful, actually.

squibnocket

All-Around Swell Gal
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Stormhawk about establishing an e-zine or web presence first (if you haven't already done so). It's a cost-effective way to develop your magazine/brand and gain some readership.

Magazine publishing is expensive and the profit margins are slim. Lots of major magazines are having a really tough time with declining ad revenue (an absolute must for profitability) and I understand niche market mags are suffering just as much or more so in this tight economy.

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm not too internet savy as far as web hosting and such. You can tell just by looking at my crappy site. Plus, I'm a bibliophile at heart, and I just like the idea of having something concrete for readers to hold in their hands.

E. Arroway

Registered
Reaction score
I say go for the print publication.

The first thing you have to do is decide on the basics. How often will it come out? Will you be charging a purchase or relying on subscription and advertising or both? Who is your demographic? How and where will it be distributed? What will it be called? Will you be paying your writers? How much? How many copies will you print of each issue?

Unless you're going to go ad-free, you should put together a media kit. Mission statement, target audience, ad sizes and prices, deadlines, formats in which ads can be submitted, etc. Find an ad sales person that will work on commission only. Consider doing a mock-up of a sample issue, or at least do up a sample cover and one sample story, so that potential advertisers can get the feel of the magazine.

Don't jump into it haphazardly. You want to make a splash with your debut, and that means having everything just right in advance. Set a date for your launch in stone and make the magazine the first thing you think about in the morning and the last thing you think about at night.

And most of all, enjoy the hell out of the process.

E. Arroway

Registered
Reaction score
Also, as far as printers, the first thing you need to do is decide what it's going to look like? All B & W, color cover only, quality of paper, etc. Look around at various magazines and zines and decide what exactly it is you want them to print. Then get quotes from several.

Last edited:

Cybernaught

Decker
Registered
Reaction score
I say go for the print publication.

The first thing you have to do is decide on the basics. How often will it come out? Will you be charging a purchase or relying on subscription and advertising or both? Who is your demographic? How and where will it be distributed? What will it be called? Will you be paying your writers? How much? How many copies will you print of each issue?

Unless you're going to go ad-free, you should put together a media kit. Mission statement, target audience, ad sizes and prices, deadlines, formats in which ads can be submitted, etc. Find an ad sales person that will work on commission only. Consider doing a mock-up of a sample issue, or at least do up a sample cover and one sample story, so that potential advertisers can get the feel of the magazine.

Don't jump into it haphazardly. You want to make a splash with your debut, and that means having everything just right in advance. Set a date for your launch in stone and make the magazine the first thing you think about in the morning and the last thing you think about at night.

And most of all, enjoy the hell out of the process.

Thanks a lot. Your input is very helpful.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Read lots and lots of magazines in the spec fic universe. Talk to editors and find out about the nuts and bolts of running a magazine. Volunteer to read slush for an ezine. Then if you are still interested, you will have a better understand of what you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.