Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
His voice grates on me.

I might write some more TMB before I go to bed.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
*swaddles para in bubble wrap and then gently hugs*

Thanks, Margo. :LilLove: Gah. I don't even know where to start. I just bombed a final interview after a painful, expensive, several-months-long application process. I'm out over £100, thanks to several 10-hour round trips to their London office. Previous interview didn't even bother to reject me. I'm up to eight failed interviews now. I also got a dozen consecutive form query rejections in the last fortnight, plus a one-sentence form partial rejection. So glad I spent years revising my novel and polishing my query. :rolleyes:

The definition of madness is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. I'm done querying. I only wish I could give up on job-hunting too.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
I love 'Baby' and 'Somebody to Love'.

And 'Never Say Never'.

I don't get celeb crushes, and I never really hate celebs either. He seems like a generally good person, Selena Gomez (who I've loved for years) seems to agree, and his songs are catchy. Therefore, I like JB. :)

But write now I'm in LOVE Shinedown's 'Her Name Is Alice'. I will be doing all my MAAH edits to that song. If MAAH were a musical, Hatter would sing this.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, nonono. A dozen queries? That's nothing; that means nothing at all about the quality of your work. That just means there's 12 agents out there who don't identify with your work. If your work was to be published, don't you think there would probably be more than 12 people out there would wouldn't like it? Yeah, there would. But there would also be a lot of people out there who would like it - you've just got to keep querying until you find the agent that represents those people.

And those aren't failed interviews, they're interviews you were qualified enough to get - that's quite the achievement these days. Those jobs weren't fits for you, but if you can get 8 interviews in a business that competitive, I think you can safely assume that you WILL find something that fits eventually. It's just a matter of time.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Yep. Finally opened it after like a year. No, wait, two years I think. 0_0

Para - just saw your post - that really blows. I'm sorry.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
(((Para))) I definitely agree with Margo. Good luck with everything :Hug2:

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't opened my copy of DHP2 yet... I think there's a part of me that's too scared to or something.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, nonono. A dozen queries? That's nothing; that means nothing at all about the quality of your work. That just means there's 12 agents out there who don't identify with your work. If your work was to be published, don't you think there would probably be more than 12 people out there would wouldn't like it? Yeah, there would. But there would also be a lot of people out there who would like it - you've just got to keep querying until you find the agent that represents those people.

And those aren't failed interviews, they're interviews you were qualified enough to get - that's quite the achievement these days. Those jobs weren't fits for you, but if you can get 8 interviews in a business that competitive, I think you can safely assume that you WILL find something that fits eventually. It's just a matter of time.

I'm grateful for the encouragement, but I don't think I agree. The vast, vast majority of writers will never be published. The majority of them will never even be readable. Most people will never get an agent, let alone a book deal. Continuing to query will continue to get them nowhere. They just aren't good enough. In my case, the writing is on the wall. I feel embarrassed that I misjudged the situation so badly. Classic Dunning Kruger, where you're so cripplingly incompetent that you can't even tell how abysmal you are.

Horserider

Ever onward
Registered
Reaction score
HR - Just to look. I know it's really early since I haven't actually started going to college yet, but I want to have an idea of where I want to go after I finish my four years.

Plus, I did some research to see what I kind of law schools I can get in to with my major and it said people with an undergrad degrees in Sociology get accepted into both Cornell and the University of Pennsylvania, which is exciting because I really want to go to an Ivy League school.

It also means that I have to work extra hard when I go to college. hehe

Ahh okay. :) I'm in my first year of college and I've been looking at grad schools too. It's both motivating and scary as hell. I found out that my dream school only accepted 8 people total to any of their psychology doctorate programs out of who knows how many applicants.

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to try and catch up on Glee next week. It's not back in the UK yet. :(

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
Para- I think you've been out of the querying game a little too long, and experiencing some sort of shock thing. Listen, if you want to give up and quit, whatever, it's your choice. But twelve queries is barely scratching the surface. If you really want this, shake off your funk and keep pushing.

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Para - that's true for most people, but not ones that have dedicated as much time and energy as you have to honing their craft. You're at a different level than 90% of the masses. In your case, a dozen queries is not writing on the wall; it's nothing.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Para- I think you've been out of the querying game a little too long, and experiencing some sort of shock thing. Listen, if you want to give up and quit, whatever, it's your choice. But twelve queries is barely scratching the surface. If you really want this, shake off your funk and keep pushing.

I'm experiencing a sudden attack of reality. It's disconcerting.

Thalia

Registered
Reaction score
:tongue yep. it's very disconcerting. reality can suck. but if you get caught up in that, you'll never succeed. you can wallow in self-pity tonight, but tomorrow just focus on powering through. send out more queries. go do more job interviews.

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." -michael jordan

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I'm itching to write something in the 1930-1940's. I just don't have an idea. Hahaha :p

Man, I'd do anything to query. Of course, that could change when I get to that stage. :p

ETA: I just believe that if you try and try and try, you'll get there. "If you can dream it, you can do it" is what my good friend Walt Disney says. (I have that quote up on my bedroom wall :) )

Last edited:

inkspatters

The coordinates keep changing...
Registered
Reaction score
*hugs Para* But I agree with what HR and Margo said.

And hey, I got form rejected wayyyyyy more than 12 times before I got an agent. Way, way, way more.

Status
Not open for further replies.