Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarlaErikaCal

YA romance writer in love with love
Registered
Reaction score
Later, Race!

Writing my mock query for TL right now. So far so good! I'm using an old character name (Maira Kita) for the MC and Guess's first name (Kieran) for the LI because I had this mini contest a while back on my FB fan page where I promised to use a first name as a major character in a novel lol. So far I've used Tom, Anne, and now Kieran. Then there's Caitlin (Kyrie), Binita, and Ashley. I know which novel Binita will be in. Ohh and instead of picking one name, I had everyone win, so that's why there are 6. The 7th person I can't use his name because I've been using the name meanings to help my decision and his name has no meaning. But the name Tom is an exception to my "meanings" thing. It means twin (he's not a twin), but Tomas Franco was a perfect name for my half Italian/half Spanish MC in Podd.

Anyway. Rambling again lol. Sorry...

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to figure out how to continue this scene is kinda hard. Looking back on it, I didn't like it very much in the first person version, so I'm changing it.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone throw out qualities in a guy a girl might consider in her dream guy?

So far I've got romantic and calm. I need seven total. But I need 4 more. I've got a 3rd one that's kinda spoilerish.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
I PMed you, Tally. A few minutes ago, though, and I forgot to tell you. :tongue

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Karla: Funny, brave, sweet and intelligent/creative.

ETA: And now I am going to bed. 'Night, guys. :)

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Athletic, flexible (not physically, in attitude), funny, tough, sarcastic, outgoing, silly, smart, ambitious.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys! Trying to see which 7 makes sense for the MC, the book, and that are opposite enough to the LI.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
*yawn* Hey. Shame i can't write this weekend. but i can read, which is good cause I've been slacking off in that department recently. lol

Kyla Laufreyson

Oops
Registered
Reaction score
I should be writing this very second. I am so. Freaking. Close. To finishing this novel.

KarlaErikaCal

Registered
Reaction score
PRE-CONGRATS ARI! I've missed a number of things since I don't post here regularly anymore and skip pages...so just in case I do miss it here's my congrats! haha

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm writing the third book in the debris dreams series instead of writing the second.

SIGH.

“Today, we are going to teach you eighteen silent ways to kill a man.”

Of the many things that I could call Selection out on, I could (at the very least) say this one single positive thing: They don’t bullshit about what they’re teaching you. I sat up and paid attention – not that I really had a choice, not in the VR sessions, where your brain wasn’t just required to attend, it was hooked straight in.

Our instructor for this little tween chop seminar was a gray skinned transie that looked like he had come right out of a Shanghai slasher film: Machined lines along his joints and arms made of matte-black carbon composites, molded into the rude shapes of muscle and joints. He summoned a virtual tango and tapped him twice on the shoulder.

The tango – dressed in Loonie yellows and black – half turned to see who was bothering him before our instructor smashed his face in with the mother of all sucker punches. It was fairly silent – nothing more than a soft crunch – and the man fell, his face dutifully simulated with a crumpled nose and scattered teeth.

It seemed silly, but that was the Selection motto: Simplicity breeds success. Why bother with kidney strikes or eye gouging or fancy kung-fu when you have a 1000 PSI harder-than-steel piston for an arm? Course, that was just one of eighteen ‘silent ways’ that our instructor had to show us. By the time he was done, I was feeling a little green around my virtual gills. The Class Two cyberlimb wasn’t just strong and tough, it was also flexible. Joints could bend in ways they never could with a human arm, as demonstrated when the instructor grabbed the tango by the head and spun him three sixty degrees with his articulated wrist.

We got dumped form VR afterward. Total time, subjective, 3 hours. Total time, actual – recorded by clocks in the real world, not by brains hooped up on neurostimulators – was something close to 3 minutes. That’s why they called them ‘tween chop’ seminars, you could hit them up between your meal and your physical training. I slid forward out of the booth, clammy and shivering. An older, leaner, more scarred latino guy gave me the side eye.

“L-L-Look somewhere else, Alvarez,” I muttered, rubbing my shoulders to try and get the post VR-dump shivers out of my system. Being the youngest girl in Selection was its own special kind of hell. “Or I might practice on you.”

Technically impossible, as none of us had been augmented beyond what we had come in with. Alvarez had gotten his left leg ripped off my a land mine during a police action in Brazil or something, so his left leg was all chrome and metal. He, like me, was one of the one in a million combination of decorated combat soldier who also had a delightful immunity to Cybernetic Psychosomatic Rejection Syndrome and it’s many delightful side effects, starting with dissociative personality disorder and going on through intense body dysmorphia, schizophrenia, megalomania, and psychosis.

At least, so far.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I'm shipping France/England.

But I ship America/England! I don't get it! I'm such a traiiiiitor!

MargoWest

the chart is not the sea
Registered
Reaction score
Hellish commute today. Insanely crowded metro and at the last second someone barges in, shoving everyone aside, and when people tell her it's too full she says "WELL I HAVE TO GET HOME."

There's another train coming in 3 minutes. Yes, I'm so sure that those 3 minutes are absolutely vital to you.

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
I was just told that I have to come up with a 2-5 minute introduction for an author that I'm introducing at a book festival. Have I mentioned that I'm not a good public speaker? Because... I really suck at public speaking. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.