DIE, MICROSOFT WORD, DIE!!!!

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
... DAMMIT, why can't I get rid of the header on the first page without removing ALL of them? It's driving me nuts - I've tried countless online tutorials, nothing's working!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
Did you put a check mark next to "different first page" under Headers?
ETA: most likely you did, since you've read various tutorials. Sometimes saving your work, closing it, reopening it, then right away clicking "different first page" before typing in the header will take care of any glitches. It has happened to me.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Still not working

Update - screw this, I went old- school on it's ass: I drew a white autoshape square over it, and removed the lines. When printed, it's effectively GONE.

That's the Dave Method, folks - patent pending!

Dave

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For next time . . .

There is two or three ways to do this. If you just need a different first page, just go to File > Page Setup > Layout and select the Different First Page option (it might be slightly different depending on what version of Word you're using, but that's the general idea). If you need several pages to be different, insert a section break at the end of those pages.

DragonWing

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
What version of MS Word is it?

Do you see the check box for "Different First Page"?

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
Um, it's a section break. Don't use page break. Be sure the link at the bottom of the 2nd page header does not link back to the 1st page (there should be a little orange box at the bottom of the 2nd page geared which says "link to previous" or something like that). I've had to learn section breaks to format mixed landscape and portrait style pages numerous times.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
MS-Word has forever been strangely difficult about things like headers/footers/pagination. To make things worse, they tinker with the placement of the options, but never seem to make them simpler, always the opposite. And the clones (LibreOffice, as an example) just seem to follow the MS-Word example.

Upshot being, you just need to learn the arcane method MS-Word has concocted for performing this operation, which ought to be a lot more simple and intuitive.

caw

FOTSGreg

Today is your last day.
Registered
Reaction score
A land where FTL travel is possible and horrible t
Website
Www.fire-on-the-suns.com
blacbird, you are correct. What butt-monkey decided the MS Word/Excel options needed to be rearranged from the '03 version to today's ought to be publically flogged and then impaled in the public square. Having to relearn where all my controls are (even to the point of being able to open a new document) is not the reason I upgrade (but is a reason I use Open Office or even Pages whenever possible).

Microsoft programmers - rearranging the controls in MS Word/Excel does NOT make the user interface better you freaking morons.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I just find this odd. I've used nearly every version of word and if you click on "different first page" for headers and footers in Page Setup, that works and you shouldn't need to create extraneous section breaks.

Did you go up to the header on the first page and physically delete the information inside it? It doesn't automatically disappear just because you clicked different first page.