Can't type and click normally with new computer

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
I have a new computer and am using Windows 7 for the first time. I'm having several problems that might be related. They seem to involve turning various keystrokes and mouse actions into shortcuts to functions.

The following have happened, although not every time I used the computer. Some go away if I restart.

Clicking on a link, like "New Thread" or "User CP", brings up the "Save As" window. To open the link, I have to right-click and select "open link". This problem disappeared for a short time. I don't know what I did to make it reappear. It happens with Seamonkey (Mozilla browser) and Internet Explorer.

I can't de-select items, for example, desktop items and files in a folder. Once I've selected one, clicking another or in an open space does not deselect the first ones. Normally, this happens only when holding the Control or Shift key when clicking on something. This happened the first time I used the computer and has re-occurred in every session.

Keyboard letter keys don't work sometimes. Enter and Backspace keys work. I'm not sure about others. It seemed to be using using shortcuts because "V" pasted text - a stuck Control key? But I'm not sure a stuck Control key can explain everything. I switched keyboards before starting this post, and this problem isn't happening right now.

One thing I hate that is working correctly - the new mouse has buttons on the left that "help" me by acting like the "back" button. Can this be disabled? My mouse settings don't have an option for this. There is no brand name or model - it's marked as iBUYPOWER, the company that makes the computers.

Thank you!

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Have you checked your mouse and keyboard settings in Control Panel. You can set what each button on the mouse does.

Sometimes a more advanced mouse will have it's only software and settings.

I'm pressed for time at the moment or I would try to go in to more detail.

Last edited:

DragonWing

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
That sounds like a key sticking. Possibly a mouse key, even, similar to what alleycat describes above.

Together with some of the other symptoms, I think the CTRL key seems a likely culprit. Microsoft has an on-screen keyboard (OSK) function under All Programs, Accessories, Ease of Access. As you press keys, they highlight on the OSK. If a keyboard key is sticking, that might reveal it.

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
Thanks. Most of the problems did not change when I used a different keyboard. Since the problems are intermittent, I assumed the mouse settings were not the problem. I'm starting to think it's a KVM switch problem. In order for the computers to share the monitor, I have to connect the plug for the keyboard or mouse. That doesn't seem enough to account for all the odd shortcuts.

The first problem - not being able to click on links - seems to be the least related to keyboard and mouse settings.

Last edited:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
My Mum's computer had a problem similar to this and after trying several keyboards and the 'turn it all off and try again' fix, I ended up sorting it out by enabling and disabling 'sticky keys' and then pressing the 'windows' and 'crtl' keys a few times.

No idea how or why that worked, but like a lot of computer problems around my house, this one seems to have had something to do with a cat running across the keyboard. It's amazing how many (sometimes undocumented) keyboard shortcuts cats seem to be able to find.