Need free index cards online

Status
Not open for further replies.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone use a program with index cards that can be easily moved around?

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
If you use a mac, you can use stickies like this.

You can also download a stickies widget to make them better.

And if you don't use a mac, you probably should.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I use iWork/Pages. I can write as long as a page's worth and move those pages around. Then I can export the whole thing into one Word file. I like it.

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
What's wrong with old-fashioned paper index cards? I love them!
I like them, I just don't have any room to spread them anywhere. My desk is in our bedroom and our 2 year old would destroy anything I laid out:)

MonaLeigh

Wasting time
Registered
Reaction score
I use iWork/Pages. I can write as long as a page's worth and move those pages around. Then I can export the whole thing into one Word file. I like it.
I don't have a Mac. :(

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
Well, it can be any wall in the house, really, as long as you stick them high enough for them to be safe from your toddler :)

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
Does anyone use a program with index cards that can be easily moved around?

You can download a trial version of ndx cards for free, but after the trial period the program costs $49. It's a pretty nifty application.

Knoesis is a free shareware program - just found it by Googling, don't know if it would work for you, it's
An academic software tool for managing projects, Knoesis helps you research, organize, and write your research and term papers, lectures, and other academic projects through an electronic file card system.

There's a program called "Note Studio" also found via Google, and it appears to be a wiki style organizational tool - I went to the "buy now" page and it says it's been discontinued, so I downloaded the demo which you can still get - haven't tried it yet.

One more I may look at soon Text Block Writer - the developer claims to have written a book using it.

FennelGiraffe

It's green they say
Registered
Reaction score
Some of the electronic sticky note programs might have the features you want. I haven't tried any of them, but it looks like there are a lot of free ones.

ETA: I've recently been trying Freemind. It's not index cards, but it is a way to organize and rearrange snippets of information.

Last edited:

Rowdymama

Dogzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I don't really understand the need for this. What can sticky notes do for you that simply moving text around in your WP program won't do? I had a question on allexperts.com the other day from a fellow who wanted to know what software he should use to write a book. My reaction was, "Huh?" He mentioned blurb.com. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it all puzzles me no end :Shrug:

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I don't really understand the need for this. What can sticky notes do for you that simply moving text around in your WP program won't do? I had a question on allexperts.com the other day from a fellow who wanted to know what software he should use to write a book. My reaction was, "Huh?" He mentioned blurb.com. Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but it all puzzles me no end :Shrug:

I've read of several writers who like to write out scenes (like a summary of each scene) and lay them out for a visual to check scenes or rearrange the layout. There are a variety of reasons index or note cards are used. It's something I've heard of many times.

Part of that mantra about how each person processes information differently. Note cards don't do a thing for me, but seems to help many writers.

Status
Not open for further replies.