Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
Myself, I think Maryn should sock it to them.
Oh brother. :ROFL:
Have no fear; I'll probably be that person, if you consider 'never' as last.

Um, perhaps I should take that back. If Pandora wants me to see it, I may. I become quite malleable in the wake of her desires.
Gift shoes. There's no lose there. (I guess they sell those things in Bangkok...)
Mario, shoe and mate deprived fella

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had sex in the hospital a couple of times. With my husband, and the door blocked, and no need to tell strangers online about it.

Maryn, whose husband was in there a long time (pun not intended, but ha-ha!)

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:ROFL:

Maryn, master of un-intended puns.

Men in Black III opens this weekend. I'z excited.

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I killed two threads last night after I posted in them. lol. Ah well, gotta have goals I guess. :D

Morning all. Almost the weekend. Anyone have any fun plans for the long holiday weekend? I think I am going to go see MIB III with some friends. It looks good. I liked the first two.

Brought my laptop to work today for the first time in ages. Might actually try to write something on it at my lunch break today.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No specific plans here, other than cooking out. I haven't even decided what to cook. Burgers? Or should I be healthy and do swordfish or turkey burgers?

Mr. Maryn and I will no doubt go walking; it'll be pretty hot here, so I hope to start early. Of course he's legendary for saying he's almost ready, then taking another forty minutes.

Maryn, the one with a thing about being late

pandora1983

Jill of all trades,well,some trades
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetravelpaige.blogspot.com
I saw Avengers, Russ look away for 5 seconds (Thor's friggin' eye-candy if I ever saw any). Even though Russ despises Superhero movies, I still love them. I love the humanizing, inner conflict the superhero usually goes through.

Maryn, how was the show? I love Who's line..

Russ Mars

Interesting little planet you've got here.
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have any fun plans for the long holiday weekend?
I always hope to have fun on Memorial Day, but it seems to always get overshadowed by the remembrance of so many of my fallen brothers.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Pandora, good to see you. The show was excellent, better than the TV show was because they could be a bit raunchier. (Although it was still fairly tasteful. Not a lot of sex and bathroom material.) While they clearly had some material prepared in response to audience prompts they could anticipate, they also thought quickly enough to do funny takes on things they never could have predicted.

I thought it was interesting, too, that two of the four actually look better than they did when the show was on ten or twelve years ago. How can the rest of us do that, I wonder?

Russ, do you do anything official to commemorate the fallen? I used to know this guy online, Joe, who lost a bunch of friends in 'nam. For years, all the hoopla about Memorial Day depressed the hell out of Joe, until he got the idea of identifying the graves of military men in his city's small cemeteries. (Apparently the VFW placed flags at the big ones.) So Joe spends Memorial Day morning planting flowers, tending graves, and otherwise serving those who served so well, then feels uplifted and reminded to enjoy his life.

I thought that was pretty nice. He said nobody he knows in real life realizes he does this, except his wife. She volunteered to join him, but Joe wants to do it alone.

Maryn, who hasn't seen Joe in many years

BeatrixKiddo

Is it summer yet???
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing MIB this weekend is my way of honoring Memorial Day. :D (I kid, I kid)

I think it is easy to forget what the holiday is actually about. It's warm and everyone is out at the beach, parks, etc.

My dad was in Vietnam but he never talked about it.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Russ, do you do anything official to commemorate the fallen? I used to know this guy online, Joe, who lost a bunch of friends in 'nam. For years, all the hoopla about Memorial Day depressed the hell out of Joe, until he got the idea of identifying the graves of military men in his city's small cemeteries. (Apparently the VFW placed flags at the big ones.) So Joe spends Memorial Day morning planting flowers, tending graves, and otherwise serving those who served so well, then feels uplifted and reminded to enjoy his life.

I thought that was pretty nice. He said nobody he knows in real life realizes he does this, except his wife. She volunteered to join him, but Joe wants to do it alone.

Maryn, who hasn't seen Joe in many years
I know my views on death, funerals, graves, etc., especially relating to the military and political matters, are different from what many believe. I sure mean no offense to anyone, but here's how I see it and why:

During the last few years of the war in Vietnam, one of my peripheral duties was as an honor guard at Marine burials. Long story to short, dropping dead Marines, my brothers, into holes in the ground, time after time, as their families and friends wept, wailed and grieved at their gravesides just fried me. Something snapped. I just won't go to funerals anymore. I didn't even go to my father's funeral.

Certainly, the holiday’s ceremony and celebrations do absolutely nothing for the dead. It does not console them, though I suppose some of us, the living, are consoled. It’s a way to remember. How could we forget? Visiting and decorating veterans’ graves does not honor them, does not justify their deaths, and it certainly does not bring them back. What lay in the ground is not them. They are gone. It’s a way for us to TRY to cope with our loss and gain closure, and perhaps to rationalize and feel better about why they are gone.

I think the biggest thing we can do to honor dead veterans is quit making more dead veterans—support nothing of this country, the government or the military that contributes to that. Fight every day, in no matter how small a way, to give NO support, rather than remembering once a year to eat a hamburger and drink a beer to "honor" the dead.

Note that not a single war the U.S. has fought in since WWII has had anything to do with protecting this country, the U.S. Constitution or our "freedoms," not even the current wars in the Middle East. The cover story our government and military has fabricated to enlist our support is just that—a fabrication. Every American service member who has died in combat since WWII has died for nothing more than to further the imperial interests of the U.S. and global military industrial complex.

I do not apologize for my beliefs born of a long history of experience, nor will I argue here with anyone with differing beliefs, but I do apologize to anyone thinking it was inappropriate of me to take this opportunity to state them in this forum. If a single person objects, I will delete my post.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Amen. The wars I support are the ones which never happen. I support our troops by voting for the elected officials who want to bring them home.

I don't ordinarily talk politics online, at AW or anywhere else. Hell, I don't talk politics in person except with people I'm pretty sure agree with me fully already. So I'll be brief now.

The oil, the military-industrial complex, the reputations of politicians--not worth one of the thousands of lives sacrificed to protect them. And besides the loss of good men and women, and the grief of those left behind, the financial costs are staggering. What that amount of money and effort could have done if applied to a single problem...

I know many do not agree, and I'm good with that. We get along in here. It's the House of Love, after all. And I think I shall now open the wine, make a pitcher of Margaritas, and otherwise shut up and smile while you all are still smiling back.

Maryn, filthy liberal

Komnena

In Honor of Peter Tomich,USS Utah
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your service, Russ.
You have given me much to think about.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
All I can say to that, Maryn, is may the Universe and all the monkeys in Madagascar bless you forever.

Russ Mars

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for your service, Russ.
You have given me much to think about.
I appreciate that, Komnena, but if I'd known then what I know now...well, my service means nothing and resulted in nothing good.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning, my pretties! We've got a scorcher--even I, the house's queen of the natural (meaning I like a fire better than the furnace, and fans better than AC--but please, don't take away my computer or cable TV!) will probably succumb and turn on the air conditioning for the first time this season.

Open defiance on my part: I stripped our bed, which was due for a change, and whether Mr. Maryn objects or not, I am not putting that comforter back on. In recent weeks I'm sleeping in next to nothing with just a sheet. It's hot. Folding back the comforter leaves me a pretty weird triangle in which to sleep. (If he tries to use the comforter not fully across the bed, its weight pulls it to the floor.) If he's cold, he can wear flannel PJs or something.

Maryn, rebel

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i use an afgan made for the couch that is smaller and won't cover the whole bed since I am colder than hubby. Thing is, when I go to bed I am cold and want the extra blanket, but I always get hot around 2 or 3am and it winds up on the floor.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I put both the coverlets on, one loose, one tucked in. That should be enough. I swear the bedroom never got below the mid-70s last night. Anybody know where I put my warm-weather PJs? All I'm seeing is long sleeves and pants in the drawer.

Maryn, who slept raw until she had kids, and now it feels really wrong, even though that comforter was baking her

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
i don't have kids so what's my excuse? I think because sometimes I end up sleeping in the living room because of dogs scared of storms and other various issues.

Trevor Bruhn

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings from the road, y'all. Albany this morning, short visit with kid #2, her husband and 1 33/4 kids (second due in July). Seems like weather great most everywhere--although big apple was kind of cloudy and wanting to rain yesterday. I rode Megabus from Philly to here, had to walk up west side from 28th to 40th for the connection. City looking a bit grundgier than I remember.
No beefs from this quarter with any earlier posts. During a post-law time in my working life, when I was teaching high school social studies, I often imagined using a template for any war in U.S. history: what did our leaders articulate as goals for going to war; what had we accomplished at war's end in relation to those goals. Was it Smokey Robinson who posed the question "What is it good for? Absolutely nuthin!"
Trevor, off to Illinois later today

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goddam it, Trevor, I wish I'd known your itinerary. You are probably passing fairly near me, but I imagine it's getting pretty late to change your plans.

Plus our air conditioning is not working at all, so you might have hated it here, but still... You could have watched the Red Sox with us tonight.

Maryn, facing the New York State Thruway and waving vigorously

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hubby went out with his friend this morning and came back with Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol for me (ala Jeremy Renner.) :D I have been watching The Unusals with Jeremy Renner so he looked it up on Amazon and ordered. My husband ordered a show for me with a hot actor. Is that cool or what?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Mr. Maryn has given me blanket permission to bop Keanu when and if the opportunity presents itself. But only once.

Maryn, thinking that's fair

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
At first I thought you were saying he approved your decision to leave the comforter off the bed. HA.

What's your favorite Keanu movie? I'd have to think on it. I saw Point Break again the other day - it was on TV while I was cleaning. NOt as good as I remember. I liked Speed an awful lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.