Hi from the USA

lily-abstraction

Registered
Reaction score
Hi !

This is my first post and I'm excited to be here.

I've participated in Nano a few times, love animals, speak/write a bit of French, and love to read and write - but I write poorly (tragic, I know):cry: even though I love doing it.

It's fun reading everyone else's intros, and I hope to get to know you all better.

If you have a minute, what is your favorite part of this website. It would mean more coming from you guys I think - than trying to sift through info elsewhere. It's kind of intimidating coming round for the first time and seeing such huge amounts of info from so many people!

P.S. edit: I don't plan on posting any excerpts. Ever. Is that okay? Is it frowned on to participate on the forums without sharing your work (which in my case would be a dying embarrassment).

Last edited:

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
My favorite part is just interacting with new people. I'm so new to this writing thing, and by hanging out with cool people who range from newbies to veterans has been truly edifying.

If you don't want to post your work, it's fine... maybe someday you'll have the confidence to open the box and let your creativity out.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
hello.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

A_Read

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! I'm pretty new here, too!

At first, I loved getting a few basic worries/questions answered on here, but currently my favorite thing about this site has been reading others' posts on Share Your Work. Sometimes, I think I have something to add that could be helpful, and sometimes I just learn loads from other's brilliant comments. Then it's back to the revisions for me! As Shrykespeare said, maybe after a few months around here, you'll feel confident enough to share, too! Don't let your perceived inability stop you from sharing if you want to, though! (I haven't). Someone more senior can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think it's frowned upon to participate in discussions without sharing your own work. However, the inverse (posting your own stuff for critique without critiquing others' work) is considered rude.

Welcome!

T Robinson

Born long ago, in a different era
Registered
Reaction score
Hi !

If you have a minute, what is your favorite part of this website. It would mean more coming from you guys I think - than trying to sift through info elsewhere. It's kind of intimidating coming round for the first time and seeing such huge amounts of info from so many people!
embarrassment).

Politics and current events. Great entertainment. You don't have to say anything unless you want to.

lily-abstraction

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :Sun:

Shrykespeare - Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I read your synopsis. Very nicely written and interesting story idea.

Read - I'll look into the Share Your Work area. I have no idea if I can contribute anything helpful there but time will tell, and it sounds interesting. I'd love to read a variety of work!

Robinson - I haven't run across c.e.s yet. I'll keep an eye out.

Last edited:

holy heidi

full of beans
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty new myself (hey again, from the other thread!) but I actually LOVE the share your work section even though, like you, I don't plan to share my own work. Critiquing is really fun for me. Don't get me wrong, I love writing, but when I've hit a block, some good critical thinking and critiquing can shake things up in my head, and I tell myself that i'm being helpful to others too.

So, you know, rest assured that if you ever DO share your work, you'll have people there who love reading and critiquing. And if you only want to read and critique, it can help your own writing.

You say you write poorly and while I'm not going to second guess you by telling you about your writing (which of course YOU are the expert on) but chatting with other writings, reading their work, and just continuing to write (as you've been doing) will make you a better writer, no matter how good a writer you are. :) Just my two cents!

Shrykespeare

Patron Saint of Self-Doubt
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! :Sun:

Shrykespeare - Thanks for your thoughtful comments. I read your synopsis. Very nicely written and interesting story idea.

Thanks!

Like most authors, I love compliments. If I could, I'd grind them up and sprinkle them on my morning bowl of Cheerios.

lily-abstraction

Registered
Reaction score
Heidi :Sun: - I took your advice and offered one tiny critique. It was fun! And doing it gave me the push I needed to delete a few paragraphs in my story that were bogging it down - that were bogging ME down. That felt good too. (Another 300k bites the dust!!! :hooray: )

Shrykespeare - Yummy! :popcorn: Can't go wrong with complimented Cheerios :)

Last edited:

LJackson

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here too. I've been browsing the whole website, hopefully getting a better idea of orientation. My favorite seems to change to whatever subforum I happen to stumble upon, lol. In general though, I love those sticky notes posted at the top of the forum. I have no idea who the writers are but those posts were obviously written by some very experienced writers, and contain tons of good information. The better part? They are very nice read. Even the "how-to" read like short stories, instead of boring programming manual.

Last edited:

SCUBABry

The day job is the my antagonist...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If you have a minute, what is your favorite part of this website.

My favorite part is all of the information is genral writing guidelines. But I also like information from Agents. They are really the ones we have to make contact with in the end for traditional publishing.

Welcome aboard (I love nautical terms)!

Wander around a bit and get settled. If you have any questions, pop up and ask.

Lizzie7800

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I'm new to this site also. So far my favorite parts have been on self-publishing and the basic writing questions. There's so much to learn here!

lily-abstraction

Registered
Reaction score
LJackson - I know what you mean - so much good stuff on these forums! I'll check out the sticky notes. I've been kind of not noticing them. Thanks!

Scuba - I'll check out the guidelines on gen'l writing. But as for agents, I don't think I need one! If only!!! Do you have an agent? Did you find them from the info here?

Lizzie - Have you self-published before? I like the basic writing forum too. Very helpful stuff there.