Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Word on the street is that Triskelion is doing major restructuring and is planning to eliminate their print books. Even books planned for print already in the pipeline will only be put out in ebook form. Since this is still on the rumor level (albeit good solid rumor, from Trisk authors who received an email) take the news with a grain of salt. However, if you've submitted to them, or are considering accepting an offer, please do your homework before you sign on the dotted line.

Questions still up in the air are the publisher's RWA-recognition status, PAN status of existing Trisk authors and royalty payment issues.

If there are any Trisk authors here, please feel free to give us the straight scoop as you know it.

Sorry to see this happening. :( They looked like they had such promise. But forewarned is forearmed so keep your eyes open.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com
I'm a Trisk author. I'm trying to get out of my contract and get my rights back. I've been very, very unhappy with them. (I didn't get an email because I removed myself from all email loops, attemtping to facilitate the ending of my contract. Didn't work. They're not even responding to my requests.)

I know some people have been happy and treated well (and I know a lot of others like me who are sick with despair); this is just my experience. But this news doesn't surprise me at all.

Last edited:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
That's so funny (ok, not really funny-funny, but you know what I mean, right?), because I'd sent two different manuscripts to them and both were rejected with pretty detailed critiques and I was teed about it at the time. Now, maybe it was a good thing. Hindsight 20/20 I guess.

Good luck getting everything back, December!

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
Oh, December, I'm sorry to hear that you're having such a bad experience with them. :( I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that everything works out in your favor during this shake-up.

I'm a Trisk author. I'm trying to get out of my contract and get my rights back. I've been very, very unhappy with them. (I didn't get an email because I removed myself from all email loops, attemtping to facilitate the ending of my contract. Didn't work. They're not even responding to my requests.)

I know some people have been happy and treated well (and I know a lot of others like me who are sick with despair); this is just my experience. But this news doesn't surprise me at all.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
UGH. Sorry, December.

Maybe I'm confusing Trisk with Samhain, but I thought that Trisk had just been recently considered RWA-approved...? Am I wrong? (I know Samhain is definitely RWA-approved, but I thought Trisk was also.)

Thanks for the heads up, Cathy. Can I post this at Backspace?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Both are RWA recongised--but that has a very specific meaning and is not an endorsement. In fact it may not be too much of a stretch to suggest that the current rethinking of standards has something to do with Trisk.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
UGH. Sorry, December.

Maybe I'm confusing Trisk with Samhain, but I thought that Trisk had just been recently considered RWA-approved...? Am I wrong? (I know Samhain is definitely RWA-approved, but I thought Trisk was also.)

Thanks for the heads up, Cathy. Can I post this at Backspace?

I don't see why not. It's all over the wires at this point. Just PLEASE make sure to say it's rumor as to reason and repercussions from the reorg. I don't think anyone has any idea of the scope or the fallout yet, but I personally can't disagree with veinglory about RWA. :(

Hang in there, December. Hope it works out for you. :Hug2:

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I went over to Trisk's website - it looks as if they're also starting to lean more towards fantasy and erotic romance. I submitted an historical romance manuscript about three months ago - now they don't appear to be at all interested in historicals at all.

And there's nothing up about no longer doing print books - in fact, there is a line stating that they only pay advances on print...

things that make you go hmm...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Congrats :)

I also wouldn't want to say it is unthinkable that Triskelion will negotiate their way through these rough waters and come out the other side. But things do seem to be getting choppy.

I think it is always a matter of judgement to take part in rumors but writers should make themselves as aware as possible and make their own decisions...

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Well, fudge.

I have an appointment with an editor from Triskelion at RWA this summer.

Figures.

Crinklish

Registered
Reaction score
Trisk @ RWA

I have an appointment with an editor from Triskelion at RWA this summer.

I just heard (and again, I'd put this in the category of well-founded rumor, not absolute truth just yet) that Trisk was going to be un-invited from RWA appointments this summer, so I'd assume that affected pitchers will hear from RWA with some sort of alternate arrangements.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
I just heard (and again, I'd put this in the category of well-founded rumor, not absolute truth just yet) that Trisk was going to be un-invited from RWA appointments this summer, so I'd assume that affected pitchers will hear from RWA with some sort of alternate arrangements.

Double ouch. That can't possibly be good.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com

That was going to be my guess as to what would happen. RWA won't want them taking pitches from members if they're in a real mess.

Susan G.

Stacia Kane

Girl Detective
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staciakane.com

Wowch. That's "Wow" and "Ouch" combined.

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Interesting news, especially since recently, both Samhain and The Wild Rose Press have pushed back their e-to-print publishing window from 3 months to 6/9 months. Not sure what that means in terms of e-publishers trying to do both electronic and print publication. Too much for them to manage?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think in terms of Samain they spelled out very carefully to everyone why they were increasing the e-to-print window and it was for specific marketing reasons not damage control.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
I now have it on first-hand authority what Crinklish hinted at. Triskelion has been officially "uninvited" from participating at RWA, in panels, pitch sessions, spotlights and sponsorships. We'll have to see what unfolds at the general meeting--or if it'll even be a blip on the radar when the time comes. :Shrug:

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I now have it on first-hand authority what Crinklish hinted at. Triskelion has been officially "uninvited" from participating at RWA, in panels, pitch sessions, spotlights and sponsorships. We'll have to see what unfolds at the general meeting--or if it'll even be a blip on the radar when the time comes. :Shrug:

Why would they automatically be dismissed just for eliminating print books? What if they are selling the needed amount of ebooks?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A lot more. At least some authors were treated very poorly and that is the best reason there is not to effectively endorse them to more writers.

Susan Gable

Dreamer of dreams, teller of tales
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.susangable.com
Has there been any mention of what happens to Trisk authors? Do they lose their RWA PAN status?

In general, RWA doesn't yank PAN status away. (I don't think it's every happened, but I only go back to 2000.) So I think it's probably safe to say anyone who joined PAN through a Trisk contract gets to stay.

:Shrug:

Susan G.

Status
Not open for further replies.