The Dastardly Dungeon of Deliciously Devious Drinks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree-- I don't know. Sensitivity readers are a kind of new thing and it's up in the air if they are for stories that would have an impact on a certain group or if all works would benefit from them. Possible solution would be to find a selection of beta readers who are instructed to focus their comments on racial, gender, sexual wordings. If this is going to be published by a publisher, I'd let them worry about it. If you are self-publishing, I'm not sure if it would be worth it.

Urg. Allergy attack and female issues is not a good combination. I hit a wall (metaphorically speaking) last night and when I crashed and went to bed, I barely remember B coming in this morning. Slept so darn hard! Guess I needed it.
Fighting brain fog this morning as I'm having to take 2 types of allergy meds just to keep this under control. Everything I'm allergic to is blooming at the moment. -_-

Was going to work more on the novel, except I found an interesting issue. Apparently the cats (and this is the only way I can figure out what's going on) or something got into my file and flipped the order of my scenes. I'm not calling them chapters yet until I'm certain that I want 1 or 2 scenes per chapter. I got to where I was working yesterday and the next scene was the end of what I've written. I had hit a wall a few weeks ago with the novel but figured out where I went wrong and was inserting stuff to fix so that I could continue. But now things are flip/switched and now I'll have to fix that before I move on.
(not even sure if that makes sense at the moment as I'm still brain fogged.)

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a place in Texas called Bug Tussle. According to Wikipedia: "so named from an incident in the 1890s when a swarm of insects spoiled an ice cream social." I found that while googling to verify the spelling, and found there are actually several places in the US named that.

I'm adding this to my Places I Must Visit Before I Die list.

Afternoon, gang.

Whut up?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Bug Tussle reminds me of Blue Eye, MO (population 2).

Yes, I used to review the MO State Highway map to see what the smallest towns in the state were. It was down to Blue Eye and Bado (pop. 4) in 1970, but in the 1980 census, Blue Eye dropped to 2, so I'm pretty sure it was crowned smallest. I suspect Blue Eye exists only to justify keeping the post office there.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
Would that even qualify as a town? :)

I was also always enamored of the name Yeehaw Junction in Florida - a place I stopped several times. It's one current claim to fame was it acted as a sort of clearing house for coupons for the Orlando theme parks. Disney, EPCOT, MGM, etc. - you could get coupons for all sorts of things there. Substantial ones, too - like 50% off. According to the wiki article, though, that's no longer a thing :(

A past claim to fame was that it was a test site for biological warfare.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Guuuuuh, I'm so freaking sleepy/tired today. Not sure if it's the time of month, or if it's because I slept a little fitfully last night due to yesterday's stress over hurting my back and going to the doctor. Either way, as much as I want to write I also kind of just want to...
tumblr_inline_mihx32cUYj1qz4rgp_zpskgiw1pgn.gif

Also, allergies are making my nose stuffy.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Your story of Bug Tussle, for some reason, reminded me of an obscure law on the books in Okeechobee, Florida. Now, this is purely apocryphal, but my in-laws used to live in Okeechobee (right next to the lake in central Florida). They said there was a law on the books that said it was illegal to kill an alligator with a tuba. Evidently there was a parade, there was an alligator, and there was a regrettable incident in front of children.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK - through the first major beta revision. I added a total of 8,000 words. Isn't editing supposed to REMOVE things???

But the narrative is more realistic, there are more tie-ins. And making the insane Fae lord be behind another characters' poor decisions and bad luck is a fantastic thing. Especially as it will have it's roots in the prequel to this. Already plotting that part.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Editing is supposed to improve things. Sometimes more is necessary, if it makes the story stronger, less choppy, or covers things glossed over in the first draft.

A story is as long as it needs to be. Kind of like a wizard appearing exactly when they meant to, whether you expected it or not.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Your story of Bug Tussle, for some reason, reminded me of an obscure law on the books in Okeechobee, Florida. Now, this is purely apocryphal, but my in-laws used to live in Okeechobee (right next to the lake in central Florida). They said there was a law on the books that said it was illegal to kill an alligator with a tuba. Evidently there was a parade, there was an alligator, and there was a regrettable incident in front of children.

:ROFL:

I mean, I'm sure the actual incident wasn't all that funny, especially not while it was happening.

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
RW, that's exactly what I did. The beta reader pointed out places where he wanted more description, or where he felt some more explanation was needed or a choppy transition. I filled in the bits :)

JJ - I imagine it was both tragic and hilarious. Things can definitely be both.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Alligator and Tuba? That's epic.You have to wonder about the genesis of certain state and municipal laws.

In my perfect world I'd have Nalo Hopkinson and N.K. Jemisin as beta readers for this thing,but they're out of my league and way busy. I have four amazing beta readers already, so when the time comes I'll beg them to be brutal. If I self-publish (looking more likely by the year) I'll need sensitivity readers even more.

Last edited:

Religion0

Cantina's Official Doggy Poster
Registered
Reaction score
On that sandy little pile of darkness and seaweed
Took a nap, is almost midnight, still not done with exam. Not sure how I will be functional for the next one. Failing three exams and having to retake them while still going forwards with school was not my best move. Brother is being a big help, though, sitting with me, talking about things he doesn't know squid about with me, making pasta and waking me up from my nap. Good brother.

Who plans on killing an alligator with a tuba? I mean, it had to be self-defence. Of course, an alligator hunter prepping his favourite 'gator huntin' tuba is hilarious.

But the narrative is more realistic, there are more tie-ins. And making the insane Fae lord be behind another characters' poor decisions and bad luck is a fantastic thing. Especially as it will have it's roots in the prequel to this. Already plotting that part.
Those two things only go together in fantasy.

_Sian_

Ooooh, pretty lights and sirens :D
Registered
Reaction score
Website
antagonistsneeded.wordpress.com
Morning. I had a piece (non-fic) that had been accepted on proposal ages ago, but then there was just radio silence, so I figured they weren't interested.

Anyway, I was going to send it out other places, but I was all "maybe I'll just check in with them again" (keep in mind that over a year had passed at this stage).

Turns out emails do get lost. 10 cents a word guys. For something that I could write in my sleep. I'm so happy.

*dances around*

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Took a nap, is almost midnight, still not done with exam. Not sure how I will be functional for the next one. Failing three exams and having to retake them while still going forwards with school was not my best move. Brother is being a big help, though, sitting with me, talking about things he doesn't know squid about with me, making pasta and waking me up from my nap. Good brother.

Who plans on killing an alligator with a tuba? I mean, it had to be self-defence. Of course, an alligator hunter prepping his favourite 'gator huntin' tuba is hilarious.
Oh dear... Now I'm imagining a mystery story where they find an alligator (the town macot, no less) lying dead in the street having been viciously murdered with a tuba and the MC has to figure out who did it.

Morning. I had a piece (non-fic) that had been accepted on proposal ages ago, but then there was just radio silence, so I figured they weren't interested.

Anyway, I was going to send it out other places, but I was all "maybe I'll just check in with them again" (keep in mind that over a year had passed at this stage).

Turns out emails do get lost. 10 cents a word guys. For something that I could write in my sleep. I'm so happy.

*dances around*

Yay Sian! :banana:

:banana::banana:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Oh, Tiddlywinks,

Here's a new plot bunny for you!

*evil grin*

Richard has clearly been feeding my plot bunnies behind my back. Because when I read the whole alligator and tuba thing up thread, there was a suspicious wriggling of noses and tails.

I think there's a croc involved in this as well. Of the shoe variety. Because shoes. Oooh! And Frank the imp and Artie the troll might be involved....

blast.

Also? I hate you all so much for this plot bunny right now.

Especially Richard.

*plans to name the alligator or the tuba after evil Richard*

"It was Mr. White, in the swamp, with the tuba."

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Okay, this afternoon, my nose started itching, I keep sneezing 3 or more times in a row, and there's so much snot. So much. This is more than what I usually experience with allergies. I think I may have caught a cold. :/ I WAS SO CLOSE TO MAKING IT THROUGH THE WINTER WITH NO ILLNESSES!!!

:hi:

Yeah. That came to me at the end of the post. Now I'm gonna have to write this.
YUUUUUS!!! \o/

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
:rant:

Somehow this has evolved into a deranged Snow White retelling. And Snow White is a goat.

And there are dwarves playing trombones and tubas.

And Frank gets stuck in the tuba.

Aaaaaaaaaaand Artie may end up with a pet goat.

:rant:

ETA: for the record, I may be cursing Richard right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.