Strategic Book Group / Strategic Book Publishing / Eloquent Books / SBM

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Strategic Email:
This also drives our detractors batty and their attacks become more vocal and vociferous. We call our detractors "internidiots" and we ignore them and suggest you do the same. Don't even try to reason with them. They are losers and will remain losers. You, as an author that is out there working and striving, are a winner. We are winners. Nobody is going to bring us down, don't even worry about that.

To be fair though, he pretty much has to ignore them. I mean, when he tried suing them he lost. When he tried attacking them on blogs, his lies and misinformation were pointed out and highlighted.

He's got no choice but to ignore them because he knows that his business model is predicated on making money from his authors and is therefore a vanity press - no matter what else he says to his victims.

MM

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
"They copied all they could follow, but they couldn't copy my mind,
so we left them sweatin' and stealin' a year and a half behind".
Rudyard Kipling

Conscience is thoroughly well-bred and soon leaves off talking to those who do not wish to hear it.
Samuel Butler

Loretta

Registered
Reaction score
Strategic Publishing (merged into SP thread in subforum)

Has anyone heard of Strategic Publishing? I've been seeing quite a bit about them lately on facebook. This isn't a new version of Publish America is it?

Thanks,

Loretta

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
There's a big section on Strategic Publishing; it has its own sub-forum. It's as bad as PublishAmerica. Maybe worse, as the State of Florida is suing the owner, who has a huge list of related business ventures (hence the sub-forum). I expect a mod will be by to move this post, but until then look here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=101448

There are more topics about Strategic in the same sub-forum; that's just one.

ETA: Ack! And Stacia beat me to it...

Last edited:

WriterMomto3

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Have you all seen the new page SBP has on FB? The group is called "The Employees of Strategic Book Group & Publishing." Comments, please. I know you'll have fun with this one...

AC Crispin

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.accrispin.com
The "Employees" of Strategic

Since Robert Fletcher testified under oath to having more than 60 aliases, all of them names he uses for his fake literary agencies or publishing companies, I wonder if he's made up profiles and posted pics for "Sherry Fine" and "Hil Mallory" and all the other nonexistent employees he has?

LOLOLOL

-Ann C. Crispin

Qqq

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks!

Hi, this is my first post here, I'm not sure if this is the right place for it but I registered specifically to post a thank you for the work you're doing here to warn aspiring writers. I made the mistake of trying writers literary agency and was contacted by strategic book publishing. Fortunately I got suspicious and did a simple Google check which confirmed my fears.

I initially ignored them and after 2 days they sent me another 2 emails at which time I decided to reply with this;

Thanks for your interest but after running a background check on your outfit I have discovered your operation is most likely a scam, probably run by one Mr. Fletcher who has already been successfully sued in the USA. I sincerely apologize for not wishing to give you my money, while I don't mind charity, I prefer to reserve it for people who don't try to crash others' dreams. Here's hoping at some point of time, you lot find real jobs and can maybe lead a better, more fulfilled life.

Hope that gets the message across. Anyway, thank you for your efforts and keep up the good fight! Just remembered that Fletcher wasn't sued, he lost a suit, guess I was more than a little annoyed when sending that reply.

Last edited:

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
No, you were right, QQQ! He's being sued by the Attorney General of the State of Florida in civil court. It just takes a llllooooonnnngggg time for anything to happen.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
You're both right. Fletcher lost a suit he initiated and he's being sued by the Florida State Attorney General.

Qqq

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome guys, and I have found this site and the tips here useful. I have some experience in copywriting in advertisement but writing a novel is an entirely different monster. Right now I'm shelving the project I submitted to the scamsters as after feedback I don't think it's good anymore. Let's hope my next effort is better.

C. K. Casner

is a twisted individual
Registered
Reaction score
Qqq, don't let anything the scamsters say make you give up. FWIW, my stories are original, but the execution needed work( though no one with any editing experience pointed that out to me) and I sent a good but poorly written story out into the world, to my embarrassment. Leave your work alone for a while then say in six months drag it out and you won't believe the ideas that come to you.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
Qgg, you'll find plenty of resources here. I also did copy and journalism work for years before I started to write fiction. It can be tough. Don't give up. If you saw some of the stuff that's resting in dark corners of my hard drive, you'd most likely feel a lot better about your writing, trust me. ;-)

Kerry Morgan

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kerryamorgan.com
Thank you

Hi there;
At least a couple years ago now, I did stop by, but too late to find this thread to benefit from it. I learned a hard cold lesson at that time.

I want to thank Mr. McDonald though because he said in one of the few threads directed to me, that he wanted me to stop back by in a year and see if I was still going-

Well- I am- but I still get these stupid emails from that horrible company- and they are now saying that if you aren't trying to sell your book- then they will let you "fade away"

It's pathetic really and I even had to threaten them to get them to send me what few royalties I had. I sent an email saying I would join the suit unless they paid me the little bit as it did meet their requirement to do so, but, they hadn't months past the time they were supposed to. I didn't get a reply but I did get paid.

Here is what they sent me- as well as my response- to them. I haven't sold many more of my books, but I am still writing, staying away from them, lurking here, and working with the top E zine (free) for horror and poetry- (snm horror mag. com) I'm actually listed on P & E on the good side now! LOL

Just wanted to stop by- show you their latest, and say thank you- again- for helping me learn!

Kerry Morgan
(The Astral Avenger)

their two:
Kerry Morgan
The Astral Avenger

Re: Book Marketing Series: L.I.S.T. O.F Acronym

Overview And What You Can Expect from the Marketing Department in 2011

This is a followup to this email sent this weekend with some additional information. We received a number of questions like this from the prior email and we want to apologize for any confusion:

hello..just some questions re this email..if i dont sell over 1000 this year, will my book stop being printed with you? Should I send you press spots that I get so you see I am working on marketing my book? and may help you as you market it as well? I have been able to get it in Chapters.ca here in canada which will help with sales as well! working on getting more TV spots and radio spots. currently sold over 300 on my own, looking to reach that 1000 for sure!

OF COURSE WE ARE NOT GOING TO TURN YOUR WORK "OFF". No matter what happens your work will remain for sale in all channels and in the same way as always. We are expanding globally and we want your work in our catalog. Even if your sales are small, we realize that it takes time to build sales channels.

WE ARE NOT GOING TO LEAVE ANYONE IN A LURCH. If you are trying, if you are new to the industry and finding your way, of course we are going to continue to help you. That's the point of this email, we have a lot for you to work with and we want you to succeed! We help authors that help themselves. You can count on our support if you are helping too.

Please take it in the way it was intended and written, if you are trying, if you are working, if you are getting your feet on the ground so to speak, then you can count on us being here for you.

If you are in the "I write and you sell" camp, then those are the authors that will naturally fall away next year.

Keep us posted as to what you are doing. We know that it takes time and energy to sell books, believe me.

We are sincerely sorry if anyone took offense and we apologize for any confusion. Now let's go sell some books.

Robert

Hello To The Best Group of Authors on the Planet. Let's increase your sales ten-fold!

2010 was frenzied, fast, and furious. We learned, we grew, we made mistakes. We had great success and we see ways to improve. The purpose of this email is to set our marketing expectations of you, and to address your marketing expectations of us.

Before we begin, let me give you one of my favorite sites. I am a big believer in visualization. This site is the Wiki site that lists all the best selling books around the world Can you visualize your book selling 100 million copies... 30 million? As your publisher we hope so. We think you will find this list quite instructive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_books . Consider printing this and visualizing it every day. I was amazed at the different genres and countries represented in these best sellers. Truly "it could happen to you".

Better Communication: One of the main complaints from authors last year concerned the multiple marketing emails that we sent to our authors. We have a duty to communicate these marketing techniques to all of our authors though, so, we've listened and we think we have a better way to communicate these important techniques to you. Last year was a time of extreme growth in our book marketing team and we admit that it was too much, too fast. We think we've organized our communications about marketing much better for the new year. Please take the time to understand our communications approach as detailed below in the L.I.S.T. O.F. format. Even if you already have done the service or technique we will send you the email for filing and thinking about it again. You can always optout if that makes you crazy.

Clear Expectations: The second main group of complaints that we received were in the vein of "what has my publisher done for me?, and, "why do I have to pay anything at all for marketing?" As you read the book marketing L.I.S.T. O.F. below, please take a minute to think about the magnitude of effort that it has taken to bring these techniques into focus, hire and train consultants, and provide the infrastructure needed. We see our mission as to bring the best marketing techniques and people to support our top authors and their sales. We do NOT see our mission as to call your local bookstore. We would rather bring a new technique into focus for 3000 published authors than spend time dealing with a slow , or non-paying bookstore. As for the money question ... we spend our money defraying costs and hiring people to work on your behalf. . We have some incredible consultants in our family now and believe me, they are working much more cheaply for you than if you hired them directly, simply because of the volume we send them. And, try as we might, they just won't work for free, smile. (Actually we do provide free marketing services when you get above 1000 sales).

We Want Selling Authors; Many of you have seen our new contracts where we allow authors to presell 100 books and then we publish them at no charge. (If you want that contract for your next book, contact Lynn the contract manager). We want selling authors. We'll spend our money on supporting selling authors. We've published 3000 authors now and in that group we still have old-school authors that say, "I write and you sell". Correspondingly, their sales are typically less than 100 books and they drain our resources without return on our investment.

What is our vision for the near future? We want a tribe of selling authors and we all make great money together, have fun, and enjoy working together. We look forward to significantly increasing sales with you next year. There has never been a better time to be in the book business, both as an author and as a publisher. We hope you will be as excited about the future as we are.

Robert Fletcher - CEO

----------------------------------------------------
The L.I.S.T. O.F. Book Marketing:
----------------------------------------------------

Book marketing techniques can be organized into the following broad categories: We call this our L.I.S.T. O.F acronym. Clearly there will be some overlap of the book marketing techniques below but this is a handy way to think.

L = Local Author Initiatives

I = International Book Marketing Techniques

S = Social Media

T = Technology

O = Other

F = Free

Now, let's examine each category.
------------------------------------------------------------------

L = Local Author initiatives. This includes book signings, libraries, schools, author displays, author posters & bookmarks, reaching local media, local press releases.. and more.

I = International. This includes our Expo outreach to international publishers who may want your book for their country. This also includes selling ebooks around the world as we think that is going to be the biggest market in publishing in a few years.

S = Social Media. Facebook, Twitter, Blogging, and all the upcoming new internet ways of marketing to groups and 'tribes', Public Relations, Press Releases, Electronic Press Kits all feed the internet and social media.

T = Technology. Amazon Optimization, Author Domain Names, Article Submission, Audio Books, Ebooks, Kindle, Websites, Domain names, Search Engine Optimization, Author Video, Author Radio,

O = Other Ideas. Personal Assistant, and other ideas that help you succeed.

F = Free Ideas: Google Alerts, Contests, Public Appearances, Book Reviews, Contact Local Media. (We'll be constantly on the lookout for more of these, don't worry).

-----------------------------------------------------------------
What is your "to do" from this email?.
------------------------------------------------------------------
There is really nothing to do from this email other than understand what we are going to be sending you throughout the year and to setup a filing system to keep them available for reference. We also want you to understand our philosophy of how we allocate resources and for you to understand that we are here to help you succeed, not make you succeed.

What's Next? We are going to send you one email from each L.I.S.T. O.F group in the next couple of weeks. . If you don't have time to read them, that's OK, just file them and read them later.

These are what we think are the most important L.I.S.T. O.F. Techniques for you to start with.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Local: We want to 're-release' your press release. We want to revise it, add anything that you need and let's issue it again for you. If you want to get ahead of the curve, please email [email protected] . We will be sending you this email too.

International: We will be sending you an overview and an update to our Expo outreach. The deadlines continue to march on and we've never seen a better time for you to expand globally. If you need to contact someone about the expos, please email [email protected] .

Social Media: We are having incredible success with Facebook now. Al, our consultant, has "cracked the code" and we want as many authors as possible to get into the Facebook world. They aren't going away as you know. If you want to get more into Facebook, either let your PA do it, or email [email protected]

Technology: We have added a fantastic new platform for our author websites and author domain names. The new website platform is search engine optimized and most importantly YOU can make changes and keep it updated. If you want to upgrade your website please email Lee at [email protected] .

Other: Please consider using a personal assistant. The only caveat is that she is completely booked and we are hiring at this time, so she may not be able to get started on your work right away.
The Personal Assistant offer is win-win for the author and the publisher. It's inexpensive and it works! The email is [email protected]

Free: Please review www.StrategicBookMarketing.com and check the "free" ideas. Many of our services you can do yourself.

-------------------------------------

We hope you will be as pleased about this organization as we are. 2011 will be a time of incredible expansion for all of us.

Sincerely,
Robert "Smile" Fletcher - CEO

P.S Please note that I am happy to discuss marketing ideas and techniques with anyone. I am NOT a resource for royalty questions, production questions, contract questions, etc. And, I must constrain myself to personal consultations for authors with more than 500 book sales. I'm sorry for the hard line, but leading this company is like riding a tiger, one slip and I'm a goner! smile.

(Did you know that the use of "smile" has become my moniker given to me by our detractors. Frankly, I would LOVE to have people remember me as a smiler. To quote Jimmy Buffett, "If we weren't all crazy, we' d just go insane!". Let's enjoy our business together. We hope to be working with you for decades, smile).

--------------------
Hello there;

It just depends on how much you are charging us for you r help. Some of us just can't afford your help anymore. It isn't that we aren't trying or haven't been working for ourselves- but every little bit of help you offer comes with a price.

It's dis-hearting- and I wish I would have known this before signing on. No one helped me one whit bit- unless I paid more and more and more-

So yeah I'm still working on selling my book- have been- but damn create a space is a hell of a lot cheaper and I do the exact same thing as with your help.

And I'm also writing- I had to ask you people to send me my pitiful royalty even though it met your criteria.

Very disappointed "customer".

Maybe I would have been impressed is after 700$ I didn't have to pay another whatever it was to be included in the book fairs. But this has been a horrible experience.

So go ahead- drop me- my sequels oh and the movie deal with my children's book won't be going through you. Yeah- I write children's books and agents are so jazzed they have brought it up with distribution companies and the screen writer is jazzed. You guys never even talked to me about that. The only help I got from you was where to send my payment.

You could have been named in a movie deal. Oh well. But I will NEVER pay you people again. Ever. This time I am on the reputable side of Predators & Editors as a top poetry E zine editor.

So I've been going strong actually. Without paying you. I wish I had seen The Absolute Writers thread before I signed with you. But thankfully, they did help me, and I'm still going and I've saved a LOT of money because of them!

Kerry Morgan

Maybe it was a little silly- but they piss me off with each and every email.

*shrug*
lol
K

Shrouded

Ne tequcesiverius extra
Registered
Reaction score
If you are in the "I write and you sell" camp, then those are the authors that will naturally fall away next year.

Keep us posted as to what you are doing. We know that it takes time and energy to sell books, believe me.

We are sincerely sorry if anyone took offense and we apologize for any confusion. Now let's go sell some books.

Robert

Well Robert, that pretty well sums up everything you stand for in a nutshell. Do you know Larry and Miranda?

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Robert Fletcher email:
Did you know that the use of "smile" has become my moniker given to me by our detractors.

Well personally I don't call him "smile" not when "tosser" and "wanker" are more apt.

MM

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Would those detractors be the ones who then tell you to turn to the side for the profile picture while you hold up a board with your name and a number?