Publisher's reasoning so weird that you had to laugh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
I know many of us here are still trying to land an agent (or perhaps just finish writing that d*mn thing!) ... but ... I'd love to hear weird and/or funny reasons agents have given for why a publisher took a pass on a client's manuscript.

This is for my own novel -- the MC is an aspiring writer who has sold his soul to the devil in return for a big-name NYC literary agent taking on his manuscript. Naturally, it's devilishly difficult to get published, even with such an agent (but not necessarily Satan) on your side ...

arkady

Registered
Reaction score
This is for my own novel -- the MC is an aspiring writer who has sold his soul to the devil in return for a big-name NYC literary agent taking on his manuscript. Naturally, it's devilishly difficult to get published, even with such an agent (but not necessarily Satan) on your side ...

Oh, so this is non-fiction, then.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Deal

I know many of us here are still trying to land an agent (or perhaps just finish writing that d*mn thing!) ... but ... I'd love to hear weird and/or funny reasons agents have given for why a publisher took a pass on a client's manuscript.

Uh, shouldn't he have made a better deal with the devil? A deal to be the bestselling writer alive makes sense, but a deal to simply get a good agent tells me the guy ain't the brightest star in the night sky. As an editor, I'd have real problem with this deal.

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I was curious, too--is that part of the plot, that he made a really bad deal? Because I was thinking the same thing, only not only does the MC have to give Satan his soul, but he now has to pay the agent their 15% if it sells. :cry: Someone's getting snookered on that deal.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
That was simular to "Dedazzled" the original with Dudley Moore and the other bod who i hav forgot at this moment. Dud sells his soul to the devil but the devil keeps asking for money all the way through the film. So maybe you should keep it in. I think that would make a much more interesting story how he is duped and keeps on getting duped.

Kevvers

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
OK, here's some more background -- now, any anecdotes?

I wouldn't say that my MC isn't particularly bright -- it's more that, after reading the latest rejection letter from an agent, he just happens to exclaim "I'd give my soul for a good agent!" and an enterprising devil moves so quickly that the deal is done before my MC has a chance to fully understand what's happening ...

Note that there's a reason why this devil (not The Devil, Satan Himself, mind you) has been hanging around (unseen) my MC for a while ...

In any case, I would really appreciate some brief anecdotes of weird/funny reasons a publisher has turned down a manuscript -- to help get my creative juices going. Heck, it doesn't even have to be true -- i.e. a true anecdote. Just some funny/weird thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
Non-fiction?

Oh, so this is non-fiction, then.

Believe, I wouldn't sell my soul for an agent ... or even a publishing contract.

I did, however, hock my soul for some time in return for job security and benefits ... but I'm glad to report that I've recently redeemed it.

:2angel:

Twizzle

Cluck that.
Registered
Reaction score
I wouldn't say that my MC isn't particularly bright -- it's more that, after reading the latest rejection letter from an agent, he just happens to exclaim "I'd give my soul for a good agent!" and an enterprising devil moves so quickly that the deal is done before my MC has a chance to fully understand what's happening ...

Note that there's a reason why this devil (not The Devil, Satan Himself, mind you) has been hanging around (unseen) my MC for a while ...

In any case, I would really appreciate some brief anecdotes of weird/funny reasons a publisher has turned down a manuscript -- to help get my creative juices going. Heck, it doesn't even have to be true -- i.e. a true anecdote. Just some funny/weird thoughts would be helpful.

Thanks.

:D thank you--I was wondering how that could happen?! :D The poor MC. Stuck with a devil AND an unsold book. I'd definitely read that.

Sorry I don't have an anecdote. Haven't made it that far yet. Hopefully someone will stumble along soon to help?

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
Well, I don't have a good story but the ones that make me bang my head on my keyboard (I've gotten three of these) are the "it's interesting and well-written but I'm taking a pass on it" ones. :rant:

Chicken Warrior

Ahead of Your Time
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teenebooks.com
I get a lot of 'too short' ones. That are about that long. Also, I've heard of people getting, 'too literary'. That must be frustrating.

Your book sounds really neat, BTW. And your avatar is a Totoro, so you're obviously cool. :D

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
:D thank you--I was wondering how that could happen?! :D The poor MC. Stuck with a devil AND an unsold book. I'd definitely read that.

I agree. I think it sounds funny. I think the whole point of lots of "deal with the devil" stories is that the MC is short sighted and doesn't see how that will effect him in the long term.

Lady Fae

Just got this one on Monday.

"This strikes me as a better bet as a novel for younger readers rather
than adult fiction. "

I'm in a complete tail spin over this because I thought I had written a dark adult fantasy novel. Did she even read my submission?

Lady Fae

Azraelsbane

Agony is defeat
Registered
Reaction score
In front of the Almighty, on the wrong side of the
Website
www.granitewindstarr.com

than adult fiction. "

I'm in a complete tail spin over this because I thought I had written a dark adult fantasy novel. Did she even read my submission?

Lady Fae

Wow. Dark fantasy to YA... That's a FAR stretch. Though I guess it depends (as with everything).

All I know is if someone suggested my dark fantasy novel would do better as YA, I'd expect 1) They need to see a doctor or 2) They just didn't read it. Then again, my novel is chock full o' bisexual angels, and a creator figure whose power base is built on emotional/sexual torture. Also, it is not a "coming of age" novel. *chuckle*

WittyandorIronic

Registered
Reaction score
Never been far enough for a rejection, but I imagine some irritating responses might be:

"I like the title. Unfortunately, that's about it."
"We are no longer accepting fiction, only highly satirized and impossible to believe non-fiction." (or vice versa, as the case may be)
And then there is the genre bending requests. Such as a regency romance sub receiving the response of "Can you put a dragon in it? Or maybe just some elves?"
Or, to take a page and post from another thread on Donald Maas,
"We are only accepting (insert type of book here) from female authors at this time."
...And just because it would drive me nuts, I would hate it if they compared decent, but inferior authors vs. genre defining icons. The only one that comes to mind is a horrible, "We were looking for something a little more Laurel K. Hamilton, but yours is unfortunately too Anne Rice."

J. R. Tomlin

Banned
Reaction score
OMG! I just got one that said -- "The writing is competent."

Talk about "damned with faint praise!!" :cry:

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
I dislike how rejections are often one long advertisement for their books.
"We are looking for the most magnificent stories on earth. Our books are splendiferous, super-fabulous, extrodinary tales with impressive characters, sublime plots and superior themes.
Unfortunately while your story had some of these elements it lacked others. Thank you for your keen interest in our company. Please buy every book we publish and then maybe you'll have better luck with your writing career. "

smallthunder

Ruled by Dachshunds
Registered
Reaction score
...And then there is the genre bending requests. Such as a regency romance sub receiving the response of "Can you put a dragon in it? Or maybe just some elves?"
Or, to take a page and post from another thread on Donald Maas,
"We are only accepting (insert type of book here) from female authors at this time."

I love your line -- "Can you put a dragon in it? Or maybe just some elves?"
May I use it? Huh, huh, can I, huh, puh-lease?

Now, that "We are only accepting ... from female authors" bit sounds so strange -- but I guess it does happen. I have a friend who said she knew someone (OK, whose hairdresser's nephew had an ex-girlfriend, etc) who was told that his novel, set in an exotic locale, wouldn't be publishable unless the writer himself was a native of that locale.

qdsb

Cynical Idealist
Registered
Reaction score

than adult fiction. "

Lady Fae

Lady Fae--

I took a quick look at your web site, and I'd like to know if this was a response to your query for The Doll's Garden. If so, I can sort of see from the description on your blog why someone might perceive this as a YA. The protagonist is described as a girl interested in fairies and fairy tales. Even though it sounds like she goes through a harrowing journey, the overall tone still seems light and possibly more appealing to girls than adults. The very title "The Doll's Garden," to be honest, doesn't sound like something targeting adults.

But, if your query is different from your web site description, then ignore everything I just said. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.