The role blogging plays in your life

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
How many people read your blog and how many other blogs do you read? As part of my daily routine I check my email, myspace, and writing forums. I read books and write for pleasure, and blogs just happen to crop up sometimes for me via the forums or myspace but they've never really been part of my routine or a category within themselves like checking forums is. How about you? How big a part of your life is blogging (either writing your own or reading someone else’s)? I imagine subject matter probably has something to do with it too and I know there are lots of different kinds of blogs – just interested to know.

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
Blogging doesn't play a minor role in my life. Besides the obvious, my son, air, food; blogs are my life right now... Not sure how else to put it. I think that's the best way. Blogs have become what I do; by accident mostly.

As far as how many read my blogs it varies by blog. I read anywhere from 150-200 blogs, maybe more a week. But lots of those are networking reads. About a fourth are personal reads.

~ Jennifer

bunnygirl

Token Rabbit
Registered
Reaction score
I've currently got 184 blogs on my bloglines reader. I would DIE without bloglines, which allows me to check all the blogs that interest me from a single website. Bloglines lets me know when there's a new post on somone's blog, thus saving me from opening blogs one by one and hoping for the best. Even if someone only posts occasionally, that's fine with me once I'm set up to get their feed.

Blogs are huge in my daily reading, and they run the gamut from friends' blogs about their personal thoughts and doings, to blogs about news and matters of personal interest (running, triathlon, writing, animals, etc). I've made some wonderful friends and contacts by exchanging blog comments, and I've gotten tips on interesting books, products and places to go. I've gotten writing and fitness advice, recipes, and new ideas. And I've seen lots of great photos.

I'm currently writing two fiction blogs of my own, one of which I update nightly. My vacation blog only gets updated when I'm actually on vacation. And my two personal blogs are for whatever random ramblings I think of at the time. I try to update my main blog (tri-bunny) at least once a week, though.

I get moderate traffic to all my blogs, although I wouldn't mind more. But I don't blog with attracting readers as my first goal. I do it because I like to write and share. Is there any better reason? :)

michelle25

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for mentioning this stuff - I'm kind of new to blogging so was just thinking of asking how you were able to check and see whose blogs had been updated without having to check individually. I registered with blogspot.com because I already knew of a couple friends on there - I see at the bottom it says 'suscribe' / atom and when I click it, it brings up a dialogue box asking if I want to save the file to my computer. Am I supposed to save it, and when I do, what happens? Sorry I don't know anything and I'm trying to go through the archives here to learn. When I suscribe to people's blogs on myspace it tells me when new posts are up whenever I log in to my profile but with the atom thing on blogspot I don't know how all this feed stuff works. I guess I need my hand held a little more!

Skyraven

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Michelle25,

I've only been blogging for a few weeks. Though I have a crazy schedule, I try to blog everyday. Just to make it a habit of "putting butt-in-chair". :) As JenFreedom put it, I have alot of things going on as well. My son, work, volunteer work (last yr of grad school) and family. I'm trying to fit writing around all of that. Hope this helps. :)

Skyraven

DTNg

Going through the motions
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writersrow.com
Blogging is my passion and my career. Presently, 100% of my income is through blogging. If I'm not blogging, I'm reading blogs or thinking about blogs. I'm pretty hardcore.

razibahmed

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
hobbyecon.blogspot.com
I spend all my days and nights with blogging. Blogging has given me the opportunity to write. Before blogging came into existence, writing was a hobby for many people like me. Thanks to blogging, I can write full time.

wordsmyth

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryevelynlewis.com
I read a few blogs consistently, but expect to be reading many more over the next few months.

I started my blog for a couple of different reasons. The biggest one is I must write something every day, it provides an opportunity for daily practice, and some feedback. The second reason is marketing myself. It's the simplest way to get myself noticed. Another reason is networking.

As of yesterday, I have 70 subscribers to my blog. I began tracking it on July 13th. It still amazes me that 70 people want to read what I write on a daily basis. :D

jenfreedom

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.growingagreenfamily.com
Blogging is my passion and my career. Presently, 100% of my income is through blogging. If I'm not blogging, I'm reading blogs or thinking about blogs. I'm pretty hardcore.

You are hardcore. On that note it reminded me that I absolutely loved your quiz post on being a hardcore blogger a while back at About Weblogs. That was way too cool. I don't remember if I left a comment so I'll just give you props here.

Take care
~ Jennifer

sf.writer.mdk

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alienustempusmemoir.blogspot.com
I'm fairly new to the blogosphere. I do have a blog and my goal is to blog at least three times a week, however, I'd be overjoyed if I could manage to update at least once a week.

There are a few blogs I subscribe to and try to read at least every other day. I wish I had more time to fully realize all the blogosphere has to offer.

Marilyn Braun

Royal Bibliomaniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
marilynsroyalblog.blogspot.com
I don't really read that many blogs, but if I do it's mainly blogs about royalty. I am passionate about the subject of royalty, and to me, I would be lost without being able to write about it. I started it when I'd had my first child and it was a real sanity saver, being able to focus on something other than just diapers and feeding.

Over time my blog has become popular, and people email me to tell me how much they enjoy it. I've had media seek me out for interviews on the subject. To be recognized as an expert by writing in a blog is really rather remarkable to me. But the writing itself, the challenge of coming up with new topics us really the most rewarding thing and it keeps me going.

AllieB

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.allieboniface.com
Wow, I'm definitely not as hardcore as most of you! I find that reading others' blogs can take so much time out of when I should really be working on my own writing! I probably have about 10-20 I read on a semi-regular basis.

Why do I blog? To keep in touch with friends and family around the globe, and to share news about my writing career. I suppose I could devote a lot more time to it, but right now I'm trying to focus on my novel writing instead.

Of course, that also means I shouldn't really be here at AW reading and commenting, and yet...

Ravenlocks

How novel.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kbloginla.wordpress.com
My personal blog went for days and weeks without posts while I was busy writing, but I've recently switched to a blog that actually has a purpose (it's about the Korean scene in LA), and now I update several times a week.

I think blogging can be useful for writers because it gets you writing, and in my case it got me past the internal editor. My personal blog didn't have a big readership, so it really didn't matter what I said on it. So I just wrote without bothering to edit (much). I really doubt the first-draft novel I just finished would have gotten written if I had never started blogging.

lobiso

Registered
Reaction score
I've kept one blog for more than a year, and just started another on writing, with a more determined focus to write more and network more. I love blogging and reading other blogs, though it does take a lot of time. I'm still learning all the technical stuff, but I think the greatest benefit I've received from blogging is writing something almost every day. It's great discipline for writers.

Niteowl

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theniteowl.blogspot.com
Honestly, I only blog once a week. Everyday seems like a herculean task. My blog is mainly to entertain the random visitor; that is, it's not really a personal blog for friends and family to catch up.

Anyone have tips on how to get more readers? I think I have about 20 (on the high end) people who visit my blog regularly, which is way cool. Then I remember I have about 20 friends and family that know about my blog :S