• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Abrams Artists Agency (Maura Teitelbaum)

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
According to Ms Teitelbaum's AQ page she takes snail mail queries. I would trust the accuracy of that over what it says on the agency website as Ms T will have written that for herself. The agency website submissions policy seems generic for everything they handle and not specific for novel length fiction.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score

cassandra

Registered
Reaction score
ABRAMS AGENCY

Anyone have any specific dealings with the agency?

I got a reply the day after I sent a cold query to Mr. Ross.

It's a very prestigious agency. I'd also be interested to hear others' experiences with them.

It's the fastest response I ever received from a query. He wrote it. Said he was very intrigued and looked forward to reading the 50 pages I sent (which were unsolicited!)

What about Emma Sweeney? Know anything about her?

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Ross will serve in a "dual capacity," according to the Abrams release. He will both oversee literary representation, and run Abrams Author Services, a consultation service for self-published authors.

... :rant:

Schedlinski

Registered
Reaction score
Abrams is a top agency for theatre and film, representing David Mamet and others. Books have not traditionally been their thing.

Sunburn

Registered
Reaction score
Abrams Artists Agency

Anybody know anything about them? Reputable or no?

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
Are you talking about http://www.abramsartists.com/literary.html ?

If you did, it appears the only untowards piece of info I could find was that a sex offender was able to work in its youth casting division for some time, apparently without any ill effects to the auditioning kids.

What bothers me about the website I linked to is that it doesn't give pertinent information on who is running the place, that it has a wide variety of businesses it is involved in, and there is very limited submission guidelines or any idea about what they accept. I'm deferring to more experienced people for a final judgement, but right now, I'm not feeling overly confident about the place.

Last edited:

Sunburn

Registered
Reaction score
Are you talking about http://www.abramsartists.com/literary.html ?

If you did, it appears the only untowards piece of info I could find was that a sex offender was able to work in its youth casting division for some time, apparently without any ill effects to the auditioning kids.

What bothers me about the website I linked to is that it doesn't give pertinent information on who is running the place, that it has a wide variety of businesses it is involved in, and there is very limited submission guidelines or any idea about what they accept. I'm deferring to more experienced people for a final judgement, but right now, I'm not feeling overly confident about the place.

Yeah that is the place.

Hm, thanks for the info.:)

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
Thought as much. Wouldn't approach them with a novel, their expertise lies elsewhere.

I found an Amy Wagner that supposedly works in this agency repping fantasy. She's a member of the AAR, any thoughts?

Here's the link to her AAR member page.

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
I sent a query to Ms. Wagner (for a supernatural thriller) via the e-mail address on her AAR page and received a full request within minutes. She has some pretty decent clients: Ian Holt, Edward Lazellari, Pearl Cleage, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I sent a query to Ms. Wagner (for a supernatural thriller) via the e-mail address on her AAR page and received a full request within minutes. She has some pretty decent clients: Ian Holt, Edward Lazellari, Pearl Cleage, etc. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks. I was going to query her just based on her AAR page, but checked out the website and found this:

All queries should be submitted in writing through an Industry Professional such as a Producer, Artistic Director, Literary Manager, Director, Choreographer, etc.

So, I was like :Wha:

LaneHeymont

Not so secret agent
Registered
Reaction score
I saw that, too, but figured that if her AAR page says she's open to e-mail queries and has an e-mail address, I'm going for it!

Seriously. You have nothing to lose! Besides, I've noticed that agents will sometimes ignore what their website "says" and responds to queries sent to them directly.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
It is often the case that the website has been written for the organisation as a whole (ICM is a good example) but the agent personally fills in information like their AAR page or their AQ entry.

WTF is a 'literary manager' anyway?

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Received an e-mail from Ms. Wagner on the 21st acknowledging receipt of my manuscript and saying that she would be reading shortly. They haven't been in the literary field long (except for screenplays and stage plays) but Ms. Wagner already has some impressive clients and sales. Anyone else have any experiences with Abrams Literary, good or bad?

Dryad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ShannonKnight.net
I haven't been able to find info on Amy Wagner either, other than her AAR listing. Definitely interested to hear how your experience goes, Popgun. I don't like that the agency appears not to specialize in books.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
For better or worse, I'm not finding further mention of Abrams' "Author Services". Mr. Ross has racked up some sales, though, to Ballentine, Random House, et al.