Teens Writing for Teens, the 5th

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
yikes!

ETA: Zoe-- wear something that you look good in. Don't wear anything with super complex patterns. Jeans and a nice, semi-casual shirt that brings out your facial features. Make sure you wear a bit of eyeliner and mascara to make your eyes pop.

amlptj

Speling & grammer murderer, Sorrie!
Registered
Reaction score
Several someones have said that 'good writers borrow - great writers steal'... so it's not cliche, it's something you've abducted from another great scribe

:D

hahahaha! No my book is pretty damn original, i've actually never found a book out there that is simlar to mine... there was one Maximum Ride but after i actually read the book, nope not similar at all!!! (but i dont get to read much so there might be some)

My problem is when I write my query, i dont want to add in all the twists because that wouldnt be fun to read when you know the damn suprises... so without adding the twists my book sound like

"kids alone in world. Must save humanity. The end."

Thalia

better off with a really good lie
Registered
Reaction score
You have to add some twists. I mean, by characters don't figure out that it's the Hatter 'til the halfway point of the book but it's the second sentence in my query. You want to give the agents enough information to want more.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
see i wrote it with the twists in once but to fully explain them it takes a shit ton of words and people told me later it was better i hid that part. So i'm kind of at a dead end with a query letter. I've read everything there is to read about writing on, and every time i write one it ends up following all the "rules" but sounding boring as hell

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
YAY i'm finally writing the awesome kickass scene i've been waiting the whole book to write!

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, guys. :)

London Zoo was awesome. :)

Wondering what Suns and Stars would be like in third person. Debating doing an experiment with Chapter One.

Also, I'm a bit concerned about Act One.

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
hahahaha! No my book is pretty damn original, i've actually never found a book out there that is simlar to mine... there was one Maximum Ride but after i actually read the book, nope not similar at all!!! (but i dont get to read much so there might be some)

My problem is when I write my query, i dont want to add in all the twists because that wouldnt be fun to read when you know the damn suprises... so without adding the twists my book sound like

"kids alone in world. Must save humanity. The end."

I think I said it before, but theres a series called Gone: with Lies, Hunger and Plague following. Also theres 2 more books to come. You should definitely check them out, because they have a certain similar quality where it's just kids under 15 left in the city and there's this dome-esque thing over their town, meaning they can't leave. They all develop weird powers or mutate into things because of an explosion from the power plant. When they get to 15 they wipe out, but they discover a way to get past that bit and stay alive. It's really gripping and disturbing but I just LOVE IT!
Totes check it out! It's by Michael Grant.

Taylor_Writes

#teampeeta
Registered
Reaction score
Zoe, I think you should try third person. I prefer third person than first, to tell you the truth.

amlptj

Registered
Reaction score
I think I said it before, but theres a series called Gone: with Lies, Hunger and Plague following. Also theres 2 more books to come. You should definitely check them out, because they have a certain similar quality where it's just kids under 15 left in the city and there's this dome-esque thing over their town, meaning they can't leave. They all develop weird powers or mutate into things because of an explosion from the power plant. When they get to 15 they wipe out, but they discover a way to get past that bit and stay alive. It's really gripping and disturbing but I just LOVE IT!
Totes check it out! It's by Michael Grant.

I checked it out. Didnt read it but looked up on it. Yeah... Besides being in an empty town... not all that similar as you will see when you finish the book! God i'm so excited for you, Lisa and the other beta i have to finish it! No one's got past chapter 17 when shit starts to go off the wall insane!

parumpdragon

I sometimes hiccup fire
Registered
Reaction score
Ah just checking, but did you guys know there's an anonymous 'kidlit' contest going on next door in the MG area of AW?

Voting goes until 11:59pm August 31, and if you'd like to make my and the other entrant's day's - and you've got time - would you mind stopping by and voting?

We can use all the votes we can get :D

Thanks

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222604

lisalulu09

Potterhead Gleek
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I am thinking of sending both versions of Chapter One out if I do it, to see what people think.

But if I decided to rewrite what I have so far and continue in third person, would be version #5 or still version #4? Hmm...

Zoealea

Mmmm, caffeine.
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, that's what I figured. But, I wasn't sure. lol.

Putting jeans on for the first time in 3 months is horrible. 0.o

Allaboutwords13

You Snooze, You Lose!
Registered
Reaction score
Who's heard of the song "Drops of Jupiter" by Train? I LOVE that song. I have it playing all the time. So old, but it's so good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.