True or a big generalisation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I understand James' analogy as well but even if people set themselves their own plateaus, it should be considered some achievement at least that you managed to finish a book.

why?

I'm not disagreeing, but you're trying to mandate what is a value judgment. Plenty of folks may not consider it an acheivement, they "should"? Why? They can do as they wish, no?

And finishing a book may be an acheivement, but there's planty of crap out there, so its hardly an end-all--Paris Hilton has a book, I believe. the Situation will shortly, for Christ's sake

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I get hassled for not considering some of these things a great acheivement. "No you should, you're a writer now". My self-esteem is just fine thanks. I'll decide what I think is or is not a big deal.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
why?

I'm not disagreeing, but you're trying to mandate what is a value judgment. Plenty of folks may not consider it an acheivement, they "should"? Why? They can do as they wish, no?

And finishing a book may be an acheivement, but there's planty of crap out there, so its hardly an end-all--Paris Hilton has a book, I believe. the Situation will shortly, for Christ's sake

The Situation. :roll: At least I now know what the old reggae song was all about: "Many people see I, many people ask I, why am I a Rasta man? It's because of the Babylon, and the Situation." Geez, that guy looks too young to have gotten around so much.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

DancingMaenid

New kid...seven years ago!
Registered
Reaction score
(on the other hand, it seems like on talent shows it's only the Brits that are abrasive... The Americans are often the "oh, you're so lovely" sorts)

I always suspected that was intentional. There's always a mean British guy and a sweet American woman, just like Simon and Paula from American Idol. Now, I haven't studied the phenomenon in depth, so I suppose it's possible it existed before American Idol, but I still call copycat.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Are we done now? I'm going to lock this before we get into a flame war over crows.

Status
Not open for further replies.