Agent doesn't want to shop 2nd book

rac

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with everyone. An agent who truly believes in you and your work will have staying power and will keep submitting your manuscript. Get a new agent. You need this one like you need a headache!

elindsen

Zombie lovin'
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.augustkert.blogspot.com
All right so keep in mind I don't know for sure, but I have a very good idea who your agent is. His track record is not good. If it iss the agent I'm thinking, his one client sold their own book to St. Martins and he did the dealings. If it is the same agent he has a full time job elsewhere. Very sceevy. I think he is only in this buis for the dollars. Fire him after fidning out where he subbed to and move on. You don't want to deal with the agent I think it is.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I've no idea which agent you're discussing, but I might feel a bit restive about an agent who has a full time job outside the agency. I'd be in doubt as to whether s/he could author a good cover letter, pitch my projects competently, and follow up with the publishers on a timely basis. I'd wonder if s/he was giving more to the full time job than to agenting work.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
It's not uncommon - or unethical - for agents to have jobs aside from agenting. They operated strictly on commission, and standard rule of thumb for new agents is that it can take 5 years before they make enough to agent full-time. (Some less, some more, obviously.)

This is a scenario that should sound pretty familiar to writers.

Lots of quite good agents have part- or full-time jobs. You may just not know about all of them because they don't advertise it.

That said, I still think Cate's agent is bad news. But this ain't the reason.