Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Aren't those oxymorons?

That's my thought.

par·a·dox   [par-uh-doks]
noun
1. a statement or proposition that seems self-contradictory or absurd but in reality expresses a possible truth.
2. a self-contradictory and false proposition.
3. any person, thing, or situation exhibiting an apparently contradictory nature.
4. an opinion or statement contrary to commonly accepted opinion.

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
A paradox is something which contradicts itself by virtue of its own existence. None of these do.

/pedant

Yes, this. The rest of the things stated in this thread are oxymorons, I believe.

A paradox is a seemingly true statement or group of statements that lead to a contradiction or a situation which seems to defy logic or intuition. Typically, however, quoted paradoxical statements do not imply a real contradiction and the puzzling results can be rectified by demonstrating that one or more of the premises themselves are not really true, a play on words, faulty and/or cannot all be true together. But many paradoxes, such as Curry's paradox, do not yet have universally accepted resolutions. The word paradox is often used interchangeably with contradiction. Literary and other artistic uses of paradoxes imply no contradiction and may be used to describe situations that are ironic.[1] Sometimes the term paradox is used for situations that are merely surprising. An example of a paradox is "This statement is false.", and is explained below.
The logician Willard V. O. Quine distinguishes:
Falsidical paradoxes, which are seemingly valid, logical demonstrations of absurdities, from
Veridical paradoxes, such as the birthday paradox, which are seeming absurdities that are nevertheless true because they are perfectly logical.[2]

A paradox would be like (and if this has mentioned, sorry, I only read the first page of the thread):

You go back in time and accidentally kill your grandfather before your father is born. BUT if your grandfather is dead before your father is born, YOU wouldn't exist, and therefore would be unable to go back in time to kill your grandfather.

That is a paradox.

Last edited:

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I wouldn't really call most of those paradoxes, either.

Hmm, thinking of a paradoxical character is a bit more difficult. How about a god who is a staunch atheist, struggling to deny his own existence in a world he can't accept?

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If a god is all powerful, can he/she create a rock so heavy he/she can't lift it?

[This came from a comedy routine from a long, long time ago--either Bill Cosby, or more likely, George Carlin.]

Last edited:

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Like the Circumnavigator's Paradox, all kinds of perceived paradoxical situations could be thought of when one crosses the International Date Line (IDL), paticularly by fiction writers (story potential here, or at least story component potential).

And here is an opportunity (and some thread-related fun), provided the person who started the thread doesn't object (it can be split into another thread if there is an objection). What kind of perceived paradoxical situations can you think of that could occur due to crossing the IDL, either from east to west or west to east?

Last edited:

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. We ordered a second number from Verizon for my husband's work phone and requested that it be unlisted. When I asked for the assigned number, the service rep said she couldn't give it to me because it was unlisted.
That left me with a paradox ... created by absolute stupidity.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
The real world may not give us many paradoxes - but beauracracy gives us plenty.

eg: If you lodge a copy of your will with the Malta probate office and want to review it later it is easy. You just have to provide a notarised copy of your own death certificate and they'll let you read it.

Or the classic restraining order example:
"You are ordered to not approach her home or work"
"Ok - but where are they?"
"I'm not going to tell you - but I will get you arrested if you go within 200 metres"
"So there are places I'm not allowed to go in this town without being arrested - but you won't tell me were they are?"

Mac

Last edited:

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
A paradox is a medical convention with only two attendees.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw a good one.

Image here: http://flowingdata.com/2011/10/28/best-statistics-question-ever/

It's from a multiple choice maths question:

If you chose an answer to this question at random, what is the chance you will be correct?

a) 25%
b) 50%
c) 60%
d) 25%

(PS: I can't see why a ghost being afraid of the dark should be so surprising - let alone a paradox.

We aren't afraid of the dark because of our ignorance - we think that there's nothing fearful hidden there.

The ghost knows better. He knows the truth. That's why he's terrified.

There are somethings that are so much more terrible than you & I can imagine.)

Last edited:

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
It's not really a paradox, not that any of these are, but the kind of contradictory characteristics you're looking for.

I see this everywhere, it's pathetically common in our modern society. Spending tens of thousands on work-saving devices, leaf-blowers, snow-blowers, riding lawnmowers, and spending thousands more on exercise equipment and gym memberships.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I think a true literary paradox is Herodotus's famous one - All Greeks are liars.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Being a liar doesn't mean they lie non-stop though.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Which was part of the point I think he was making... among many other points you can read into it about definitive statements :)

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
The statement below is false.

The statement above is true.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.